• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mercedes diesel in a XJ project- the adapter

After a trip to a machine shop, after a loooong conversation with the owner, I might be able to have a flywheel for a stock 5 speed made for a fairly reasonable - NOT $1000+++

Should have torque converter bolted up to the engine this week.

TC adapter on hold temporarily, all parts are machined, but can't get final depth until I pull the engine, And now I found another Cherokee plus a Comanche I want it in AND don't have F&%^g time now!!! :gee:

Did a little more Junkyard reseach and a manual trans is looking posslble, at least 6+ months away.

Hope you can Get the AW4 XJ Finished soon. Wishing you the Best.

I Subscribed to this Thread as I would like to Swap in a Diesel, however, if it can't be Done then I will have to do a Stroker Build.

I'm sure there are Many who Want a Diesel so if there is any Way we can help you out, Post Up Anything that is Holding you Back. Several Hundred Minds may come up with a Solution or Two or at Least Try.

Thanks.

man this is interesting.. i always wanted to put a dodge sprinter motor in my jeep. if it would even fit.

How are you going to start a thread like this without any good pictures? Seriously, you're playing with my emotions. I'm sure alot of us would like to know more about the adapter. Is it just a flat plate? What process did you go though to make it? do you have a template?

Where are you? I'll come take good pictures if you are close enough! LOL! :bawl:

Mercedestojeepadapterprototype.jpg

from what I can see in the pic, that adapter looks pretty rough.

Seriously dude, if you can't get some decent pics, why bother posting up? This is obviously a subject that many on here are very interested in. You have provided very little useful info so far.

Maybe the Finished Adapter will be Much Different Looking. Even so, if it Remains the Same, Functionality is what I am Looking Forward to. If there is Only going to be a Templet, then what does it Matter? A Person can always Fab theirs to be Pristine or Not. IMHO

Last edited:
*shrug* I'm not saying it won't work, and I admire the fact that it appears as though it will work.

I'm just saying that I'm a "fit and finish" man more than a "git'r'done" man. all of my stuff, especially anything I machine out, ends up looking pretty good (if I do say so myself)

-Pat

I am interested in finding out how the Merc diesel performes in the xj. Is it about the same as the 4.0 as the seat-o-da pants meter??

Based on the seat-o-pants meter, my 3.0/I5 NON TURBO in my '79 300TD wagen is no way close to my tired 4.0 I6 AMC engine. maybe pull a couple plug wires on the XJ engine, or add that 80+ turbo to the Benz to make it a fair "race"

he thinks its under powered. The turbo is umm cute ha its tiny. I'll try and snap pics next time im over there.

P.S. He's thinkin of sellin it

Back