• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe moving to Durham NC....next August.

SKINNY

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I know that seems a long way off.

I've lived in various parts of Massachusetts my whole life. Mostly Eastern, but went to school in Amherst. Been living in Boston for about a year and a half.

I was just curious to see if anyone had any insight as to what the area is like. I'd be especially interested if you've lived in both the Northeast and NC and had some comparisons. I'd be going to the Raleigh/Durham area. My GF is transfering down there to finish her PhD, so we'd be around UNC.

Thanks

Crowded is something I live with everyday.

If you'll excuse me I now have to go pry my way onto a subway car with ten thousand other people (most of whom do not believe in personal hygene or common courtesy) so that I can get back to my place (that I share with 5 other people and still pay $600 a month for) and then get in my car (which is parked on the street because nobody has driveways) and drive 5 miles to my girlfriend's place (which will take another 45 minutes).

Durham has got to be better than this...or at least cheaper.

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is much more laid back than Boston & metro. I grew up in Eastern MA (Sherborn) and left in '85... haven't spent too much time up there since, so I don't have much feel for what it's like now...

I don't live in RDU area...(1.5 hr down US1 south in golf country) but even with what passes for it's rat race, it will be minor compared to living in or near Boston. Also very unlike eastern MA...down here, fifteen or twenty more miles out of town and you can be living in the (real) country.

I'd advise taking a road trip, and check the area out...

I've lived in both areas.

Well, you have lived in Boston, so you are used to taxes. We called NC the Taxachusetts of the South. That said, the cost of living will be much lower. Good seafood is much harder to find down there.

The Research Triangle area is probably the best place to live in North Carolina. I lived in Eastern NC for a few years, and couldn't wait to get out of there. Had family in the Carboro, as well as Greensboro, NC. Durham is a small town, and Chapel Hill is where you will find most of the good restaurants. It didn't think it was all too crowded, but then I grew up in Atlanta. The traffic there should be nothing like Boston.

When driving there, I should warn you of what my wife and I call the "North Carolina Turn". People tend to wait until the last minute to turn in front of you and then don't accelerate. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough for us to take note. Kind of like the South Florida eventual left (Lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years), and the New Hampshire merge (drives me crazy).

Hope this helps some,
-Copperhead

Bojangles and tea, what would I do without it. But yea the whole crowded thing is probably nothing for you. I hate going into Raleigh, a city like a tenth of Boston, if that big. Gotta love the country. :cheers:

Bojangles MORE than makes up for that.

Sorry, never been one for the fried chicken and overly buttered biscuits.
To the horror of my southern family and friends, I never liked sweet tea either.

Now what I do miss is some of that great East Carolina Barbeque.

Unfortunately, I never was able to do some wheeling down there. Raleigh/Durham shouldn't be too far a trip to some good places though. You'll find you can go much further in the same ammount of time as you can in Boston. When my wife and I take the 1,200 mile trip to Atlanta, it seems we spend most of our time trying to get out of New England. Also, there are no toll roads, I hate New England toll roads.

-Copperhead

copperhead said:
When driving there, I should warn you of what my wife and I call the "North Carolina Turn". People tend to wait until the last minute to turn in front of you and then don't accelerate. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough for us to take note. Kind of like the South Florida eventual left (Lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years), and the New Hampshire merge (drives me crazy).

Hope this helps some,
-Copperhead

I know "The Merge," but the "Eventual Left?" Hahahahahahaha.....

There is also the "Boston Left." That's when you're at a red light waiting to turn left at an intersection with no Left Turn lane....fully concentrated on that red and waiting for it to turn green so that you can tromp the gas and make that turn before any of the traffic going in the other direction has a chance to get off the line.

Thanks for all the info. This is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I will be taking a trip or two down there before moving of course.

I just read that there's even a nice indoor rock climbing gym in Durham.
Sweet.

Back