• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max tire size

Churchlady said:
The previous owner of my '96 had just installed Michelin XCX APT 30 X 9.5s ... I've loved them this winter; haven't slithered once with all the snow/ice we've had in Maine. If there's any kind of road noise from them I can't detect it (though that might have to do with deteriorating hearing).

I know the original question was about size but I must say these are some excellent tires! Great in snow, real good in rain and quiet. Probably only downside is they're exclusively at Sears, but I think Michelin makes another version of the same tire.

Anyone have pics of their stock height/wheel 97+ XJ w/ 30x9.5s? Just curious to see how much they fill out the wheelwells.

I'm running a stock 99 with 03 Wrangler wheeels and 30x9.5 and get a little rub at full flex but is only on the fender flare nithing to get excited about.

Wolf said:
Anyone have pics of their stock height/wheel 97+ XJ w/ 30x9.5s? Just curious to see how much they fill out the wheelwells.

These are not stock XJ wheels, but off Wrangler Unlimited. No problems so far under any conditions.

Picture007.jpg
b5b8f569.jpg

Not to hijack, but did any of you guys see much of a performance difference going from stock size to 235's or 30's? I like the acceleration my XJ has stock, and I don't want to mess with that.

nosajwp said:
Not to hijack, but did any of you guys see much of a performance difference going from stock size to 235's or 30's? I like the acceleration my XJ has stock, and I don't want to mess with that.

I recently installed 245/70/R16 tires on my stock Jeep. After 300 miles of driving I persuaded the tire dealer to replace with stock 225/70/R16. I did not like the drive characteristics of the larger tires. They measured about 29.5". My jeep has 3.55 gear ratio. I had some rubbing when I would lock the wheels full right. If I was committed to to the larger tires the rubbing was so negligable that I would have kept the tire. There was a noticable reduction in acceleration and it was very appearant at high speed like free way entrance ramps. I also noticed that with the larger tires I was constantly "in" the throttle to maintain speed. Of particular note was that the engine seemed to be working harder at speeds of 30 - 45 mph with the larger tires. I did not confirm affects on MPG, but I estimate/suspect I lost about 1-2 mpg at freeway speed and about 2-3 mpg at acceleration and slower speeds which to me is pretty significant when expressed as a percent reduction in efficiency. Note that going to this larger tire would have required a change in the speedometer gear (I accounted for this in my mpg estimation). My setup would have required a change from the stock 34 tooth gear to a 33 tooth gear. I did purchase the part and it cost $10.00 at the dealer.

My reason for selecting the larger tires was for two reasons. One was that I wanted better grip on wet roads and boat ramps as I use my Jeep to tow a small boat. The second reason was for looks. The larger tires definately looked better and filled out the wheel well nicely. I found that tire grip on th road was not really any different than with my new stock size tires. As for the looks I prefer a good, safe, functional tire instead of a cool look and the stock size tire was better for me.

nosajwp said:

I did see a small decrease in acceleration from a stop, but not uncomfortable. It still tries to spin under hard acceleration. Once I'm rolling I can't notice any difference, say, when passing someone. Benefits are looks good, rides better than ever, better traction and handling in all conditions, and, oh yeah, it looks good. I have no problems with rubbing that some describe and it has 120,000 miles on the suspension.

I ran 235/75/15s on stock wheels on my 91 with no rubbing what so ever, on stock rims
When I went up to 30/9.50s they would rub the shock tower at full flex, and disconnected.
When I added the bb, no more rubbing

anyone using a more street derived tire, something that adds some width to the stock size, but maintains the 28" diameter?

I drive to much in the city to sacrifice performance. I've also thought about a bored out throttle bottle and K/N filter set up.. maybe a spacer... cat back exhaust. Any input on that idea along with the tires?

i have a 2000 and run 30/9.50 at revos and have no problems check to see if your rear springs sag i dont think that they would fit my wifes 2001 because hers has a little sag in the back

P.S. i have had revos almost a year and have nothing bad to say about them. i would buy them again without hesitation they are quiet on the road and clean out well in snow and ice havent played in the mud yet

I think the Revo's are what i'll end up with... either 30x9.5 or 31x10.5

If i can just figure out what size and If i'll Lift a little bit or not.

The highest lift i'll go with would be 1.5" budget style.

I'd really like to get the 31x10.5s... but unsure how much lift i'd need on a 2000 XJ. I'd like the lift to be as minimal as possible. The rims will be the stock 15x7, rounded 5 spoke.. not sure what the name for those is.

My idea for right now is.. if i go with 31s.. i probably need the 1.5" lift
If i get 30's i'll probably go with a little 3/4" lift.

ANy thoughts?

Back