• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making your own beadlocks

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
i could not find much on people making their own beadlocks (not diy) making them from scatch. i would like to get some R&D results befor i go and waste my companys metal :D . i have access to a cnc plasma cutter and a mill. and dont worry i will post pics of the process, so this thread wont be worthless.

Are you working on some new, innovative design?

If not, just copy one of the dozens of weld-on lock kits and be done with it. 24 or 32 5/16"ths holes, an inner and outer ring. A bead centering ring would be nice as well.

here is a link I saw yesterday...pretty mmmmm different way of doing it but some good pics.

i am a newb with the idea of bead locks, so forgive me.

I know that there is an inner ring that gets welded to the rim, with no hangover on the outside of the rim. I know that an outer ring gets bolted to the inner ring with some hangover, but is that it? Am i missing something?

rock rash said:
i am a newb with the idea of bead locks, so forgive me.

I know that there is an inner ring that gets welded to the rim, with no hangover on the outside of the rim. I know that an outer ring gets bolted to the inner ring with some hangover, but is that it? Am i missing something?

Does this picture answer your question?
illustration.jpg

Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Does this picture answer your question?
illustration.jpg

Billy

No, please explain further. :D

here is another try at that link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459534

I think it may be more than what you were lookin for. I can get you some dims on rings if you are looking to build a set like those in the diagram.

Here are a set I just made for mine with a waterjet.
20060401043801aa0wc.jpg

(I dont have a pic of them apart but I can take one apart and get you some)

if you need some rings already made let me know. We make them and sell the kit for 200.00 for all 8 rings. they are 1/4" thick steel and use 32 3/8" bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
a 5 month late product plug, nice

forgot about this post. i did finish the beadlocks and here are action some shots. both mine and a buddy. we both had a part in making them.
i burnt them out and he used the mill for drilling holes.

ed0947a5.jpg

ed094589.jpg

ed094418.jpg

ed09403a.jpg

ed093c5b.jpg

looks like your still running a good bit of air

Ramsey said:
looks like your still running a good bit of air
x2.

The tires on the XJ don't look like they're aired down at all, I get more sidewall flex on the road. What psi are you running on the trails? Were those new tires in the pic or something?

its not a d35 its a 8.25. the tj has a magic d35.
and i have about 20psi in the tires. it wasnt an all day trip so i did not air down. heres a pic with 3psi.
ef45abf2.jpg

nhrocker said:
No traction= no breaking, right? :D

nope - tried that...

cagedxj said:
here is another try at that link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459534

I think it may be more than what you were lookin for. I can get you some dims on rings if you are looking to build a set like those in the diagram.

Here are a set I just made for mine with a waterjet.
20060401043801aa0wc.jpg

(I dont have a pic of them apart but I can take one apart and get you some)

Yowzers... Holly Fender Trim batman!
I am sooo envious...

Back