• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maine in August -- CANCELLED!

We could go out on the timber company's haul road north of Ellsworth and see what kind of trails branch off from that, but in general there isn't much (if any) "wheeling" in this part of Maine, and none on Mount Desert Island.

As RJ posted, this particular affair isn't intended as a wheeling weekend so much as a chance for a bunch of us to get together in a beautiful spot and chew the fat before we all hibernate for the winter. There are recreational activities all over the island. Some of the more touristy things will be closed for the season, but Acadia National Park is always there and it's much nicer after Labor Day. Nobody put together a BBQ for this year, so this will be it.

Almost forgot --

A major reason for holding this event is to create an opportunity for chapter members to meet each other. Many of our members from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and more southern states have met at chapter events at paragon or Rausch Creek, or at one or more of the chapter BBQs. Most of those events, however, have been too far for our members from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont to attend.

But we are one chapter, and it would be nice for members to meet the people behind the names you see on the screen. And I think it's important for the members from northern New England to know that the chapter wants to serve you just as much as those from the southern part of our region.

This is a chance for as many members as possible to get together and do some networking, brainstorming, whatever you want to call it. We can only run Paragon and Rausch Creek so many times before it gets to be boring. We are looking for other places to wheel, as well as to meet our northern neighbors.

For those from the southern and central parts of our region who wonder why we never see the folks from the frozen north, just remember that it works both ways. A couple of years ago I remember a lot of discussion at a BBQ about "Why don't we do something in Maine?" Here's a chance to meet some of the folks from "down east" and find out what's available in Maine, and maybe make some plans for a wheeling event or two next year.

I sincerely hope that folks from New jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and points south will try to make it to this shindig to show our northern brethren that we care about them. This is, after all, the "North Atlantic Chapter" of NAXJA, not the "NJ/PA Chapter."

Okay -- soapbox mode off [/sermon]

Hows the camping situation gonna work, are we going to take a list to see who and how many are going and reserve it as a group thing if possible or should we be responsible for ourselves and start making reservations now?

One word of advice: STAY AWAY FROM MOOSEHEAD LAGER! Other than Harley Beer, this is the worst stuff ever fermented!

There is an awesome little brewery up there called Atlantic Brewing, they make some good brew, and every weekend they have an all you can eat BBQ. I don't know if that will still be going on when we are up that way but it is pretty cool.

Any more info yet on the camping situation?

OK folks...Camping is Free....if you want a cabin we'll get you a discount...
http://www.bassharbor.com

RJ (the one not listed on the site LOL!)

WOW!

Thanks to you and your folks. Now ... if we can just get a few people to show up and take advantage (in the good sense :) ) of your folks' hospitality, I think it could be a good weekend.

RJ -- check your PMs, I'll be sending a message in a few minutes.

Awesome deal! Thanks for hooking us up like that!, sounds like it will be an awesome time.... can't wait to go.

Yep, go ahead and call and tell them you're with the Jeep Group...my dad will proceded to talk your ear off or bust yer ball$ and then give you a campsite:D

1-800-327-5857 is the number!

This will be fun!!!

LETS make a new thread

Back