• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low output voltage on tps.

Yeah, you're right. I think it went away in 1989 but still hing in there through 1988. Anyway, I hope my post gives some encouragement to those with C101s to clean 'em up!!!!

moved me to visit it again to prevent future headaches-- I'll probably move it onto the list of annual "things to do before the weather gets colder than you want to walk home in."

I have never looked at everything running through it, but it stands to reason that something in there is live, so I'd highly recommend pulling the battery terminals before digging into it with anything conductive.

I always clean it out and also disconnect, spray with contact cleaner, wire brush as needed, all harness connectors on any Renix I work on. The transmission connectors near the dipstick tube were especially cruddy on the last one I did. I never have disconnected the battery cable though. Living dangerously I know.

When I got the jeep it had an issue with just cutting out when driving after lights were turned on. I traced the issue to a corroded negative battery cable. I did wiggle the connector for the dipstick grounds but got no result. The wires look quite a bit corroded that go to the dipstick. The very end on the wire where they connect to the terminals are exposed and look a little orange. So I am wondering if Thats causing an issue.

Grounds at the Renix dipstick tube: ICM--ignition control module; ECU--engine control unit; o2 sensor; and others.

Those are absolutely CRITICAL grounds for the Renix engine management.

Good luck.

When it comes to Renix grounds there is ONLY ONE WAY to deal with them. REMOVE, scrape, polish everything til shiny. Dipstick tube stud and firewall to back of head. Bright metal, no paint. Reconnect and coat with dielectric grease. Sorry, there are two ways. When you're done with the aforementioned procedure, add a few extras.

I have had excellent results with this procedure. It was in factory bulletin form when the Jeeps were new. I seriously doubt those grounds have improved with age. Only things I've seen improve with age are Joe and me.

When it comes to Renix grounds there is ONLY ONE WAY to deal with them. REMOVE, scrape, polish everything til shiny. Dipstick tube stud and firewall to back of head. Bright metal, no paint. Reconnect and coat with dielectric grease. Sorry, there are two ways. When you're done with the aforementioned procedure, add a few extras.

I have had excellent results with this procedure. It was in factory bulletin form when the Jeeps were new. I seriously doubt those grounds have improved with age. Only things I've seen improve with age are Joe and me.

Damn right! :D

On the earlier XJs there is ONE and only ONE unibody ground--a POS braided strap from the rear of the head to the firewall.

Remove it and replace with a 4 or 2 gauge cable. Strip all grounds to bare metal, treat with an anti-corrosion agent, make the connections TIGHT.

Where one would get a cable to replace the existing one? Electronics store like radio shack? Or I guess I can use a power or negative cable from subs can be used.

Any parts store worth having its doors open for business can sell you a 4 or 2 gauge cable with eyes on both ends of the appropriate length, or any battery shop will make you one. Cheaper at the parts store, better quality at the battery shop.

Make sure you do it all. No wiggling or gandering. Remove etc etc. You probably can't fathom at this point the importance of refreshing these grounds. but old farts like Joe and me who lived this story remember it well and understand the importance of ground refreshing.

there's a good reason they used to call the braided ground strap at the firewall toe "Renix killer." You definitely want to listen to those old farts for this one... he, he, he-- I spend all day around 20yr olds and it's nice to not be the "old fart" sometimes.....:D

what should i do with the dipstick ground? The wire is exposed a little bit and has corrosion on it. I really dont want to cut anything and put new loops on.

what should i do with the dipstick ground? The wire is exposed a little bit and has corrosion on it. I really dont want to cut anything and put new loops on.

Take em off and clean everything real well. Not too hard to cut the terminal off, strip the wire, and crimp a new one on. Corrosion is the enemy here. No shortcuts.

Could you guys recomend a good contact cleaner?

Napa carries what they call an "electronic cleaner" IIRC. Better than regular old contact cleaner IMHO.

My favorite is DeOxIt # 5 available online. Expensive and worth it. You'll be fine with the Napa stuff. The simple fact that you're unplugging and cleaning is light years ahead of doing nothing anyway.

Back