• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low output voltage on tps.

Thanks cruiser! You helped a lot! I will test the distributor and see what I get out of it.

On the other note, now I am more confident that the car is in a good shape so I will be getting more aftermarket parts for it. Totally untwisted question, will a 3" lift require different control arms?

well guys, i spoke too soon! Drove the truck to work today and it backfires like crazy in every gear. If i go over 1800rmp and try to hold it there it bucks, stutters and backfires. This is for sure not the tps. This is a serious misfire. So my bet is still on the distributor or something to do with the ignition.

So if i replace the stator will i have to adjust the timing with the timing light?

No. The timing is not adjustable, it is controlled by the ECU.

I am back with the stutter/misfire issue. New stattor, different coil and icm. Still same issue. The truck backfires and stutters at very light throttle when on highway or when accelerating.

I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and stator.

The issue seemed to have went away after I replaced the stator but just recently came back after I got stuck in the snow and the truck hopped really hard out of the snow.

Any ideas?

Check your MAP sensor vacuum line for cracks, it can cause stumbling also. It wouldn't hurt to back probe your O2 sensor, and see if it's functioning correctly.

Shorty has it right. The Renix Jeeps are extremely ground sensitive. Your TPS should read 83% of your input voltage with throttle closed. You should shoot for at least 4.5V input to the TPS. Before you do anything with the TPS make sure your throttle plate is completely closed. Remove, clean, and re-attach all 3 grounds under the hood. Use a calculator to get 83% of your input voltage. If you have, say, 4.5V you should adjust your TPS output to read 3.74V. After you tighten the screws on the TPS, recheck your output in case you moved the TPS while tightening it. My '89 XJ was getting about 4V input until I cleaned all three grounds. It immediately went to 4.74V after cleaning grounds. I adjusted my TPS to 3.93V and it works great. It does not seem like much but it makes a HUGE difference!:yelclap:

TPS voltage at .83 works perfect. I was having misfire on deceleration, during light acceleration but not in hard acceleration. The misfire and bucking was intermittent and more apparent in stop and go driving. Adjusted TPS to .83 now all bucking, missing is totally gone. Important to note though, if you got your idle too high, be sure to set it correctly before adjusting TPS as adjusting it later will require you to go back and adjust on the TPS.. The throttle plate needs to be at a deadrest.

Last edited:
TPS voltage at .83 works perfect. I was having misfire on deceleration, during light acceleration but not in hard acceleration. The misfire and bucking was intermittent and more apparent in stop and go driving. Adjusted TPS to .83 now all bucking, missing is totally gone. Important to note though, if you got your idle too high, be sure to set it correctly before adjusting TPS as adjusting it later will require you to go back and adjust on the TPS.. The throttle plate needs to be at a deadrest.

Both of these guys are spot on with their advice.

The only thing I would change is the TPS adjusting procedure. Unfortunately, most instructions have you checking/adjusting your TPS on the trans side (square connector) if you have an automatic trans. By using the trans side, you can miss the fact that the trans side of theTPS may be good but the engine side is bad. Happens all the time.

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.

Tested continuity between D7 and the chassis and the voltmeter chimed fine, no breaks. I have been cleaning all the connections under the hood and noticed a stray connector. It is just one black wire. Looks like a ground wire or something. Will post a picture in a second.
3f4e7a83.jpg

Any idea what that is?

What's that other connector with the green/yellow/blue wires?

Back