• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Fuel light? Did a search and nothing

MOSSGREENMACHINE

NAXJA Forum User
I know this might be a silly question to some. Does my 96xj with the dummy cluster have a low fuel warning light? If so, how much reserve fuel is there? or how many miles can you go when it lights up?

My 94 has a low fuel warning light...soon as that sucker comes on, if I make a sharp right turn the fuel shifting will make the jeep cut out. Once I'm heading straight again she's fine.

I try and get gas soon after that because I can hear which would seem to me be the fuel pump trying to send fuel and its not getting any.

Anyways, when I fill up, I usually get about 16 gallons sometimes a little more. With my 20 gallon tank....well you can do the math. Ok, 4 gallons left and with my terrible milage that means I can go 50-70 miles before I'm walking to the gas station.

If your 96 starts cutting out on hard turns (right) then I'd say get gas pretty soon. If theres no light on soon after that happening, then I'd say you don't have one.

If I rambled I apologize, I'm hungover....damn shot girl with the free Jameson

my 93 has one and I have about 2 galons left when it comes on. factory owners manual stated aproximatly 3 gal left when light comes on.

I get 18-19 gal in my 20 gal tank are you sure your breather works ok?

i can get about 30mi when the light comes on and stays on. ( will cut off before if im going up hill for obvious reasons)

MOSSGREENMACHINE said:
Does my 96xj with the dummy cluster have a low fuel warning light?

No light in the '96, but a real big guage!

Swap in the full cluster and you will add the light plus a tach, trip odo. (if you don't keep your speedo.), voltage, water temp. and oil pressure (just add sensors). Well worth the trouble and the swap is detailed in several places on this web site.

After I did the swap I figured I NEEDED to pay for a NAXJA membership!

Sharp right turn = cutting out? Might want to double-check that...usually it's the low fuel -> cutting out on left turns thing.

Don't forget that the fuel pump is immersed and cooled by the fuel surrounding it. Running it low/out consistently is a good recipe for replacing it.

I think Ill be getting the ScangaugeII soon, anyone used one of these yet, it seems well worth the $160 , that way my odo will read correctly and ill have readings from every gauge in realtime including fuel consumption and mileage left in tank and so on.

pipes94xj said:
My 94 has a low fuel warning light...soon as that sucker comes on, if I make a sharp right turn the fuel shifting will make the jeep cut out. Once I'm heading straight again she's fine.

I try and get gas soon after that because I can hear which would seem to me be the fuel pump trying to send fuel and its not getting any.

Anyways, when I fill up, I usually get about 16 gallons sometimes a little more. With my 20 gallon tank....well you can do the math. Ok, 4 gallons left and with my terrible milage that means I can go 50-70 miles before I'm walking to the gas station.

If your 96 starts cutting out on hard turns (right) then I'd say get gas pretty soon. If theres no light on soon after that happening, then I'd say you don't have one.

If I rambled I apologize, I'm hungover....damn shot girl with the free Jameson

you have the same problem i do.

reason for it is, the plastic filter on the end of the fuel pump broke off or is cracked, so it can't pick up fuel in the bottom of the tank.

My 93 with the dummy cluster does not have a low fuel warning.

My 92 does have one. It comes on a little early I think.

In a perfect world, you should keep it above 1/2 tank, so the pump is submerged in gas, and keeps its cool.

Back