• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low flying aircraft

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
i went outside this morning and a few minutes later i here a screaming engine.
more like 4 screaming engins.this i what i seen. does i seem low to anyone else and i dont live near any airports.

eea3142d.jpg

eea313f0.jpg

eea3133a.jpg

not at all. of course the b52s are based about 10-15 miles from me, that and i work at the airport. i'm still going with no. even if so, whats it matter? unless your trying to start some conspiracy, then i fully support your theory.

or C141-b

c5s are cool though. Either way, that's not what I'd call low either.

IXNAYXJ said:
Doubt it. The last C-141 Starlifter was retired last month.

-----Matt-----

Yeah, the self-destruct mechanisms in them don't allow them to fly anymore. Once the button was pushed, they all vanished.

IXNAYXJ said:
Doubt it. The last C-141 Starlifter was retired last month.

-----Matt-----

Bummer, I grew up under their take off path from Norton AFB, about 6 miles away. I never got tired of watching them, especially when six or seven would take off on each others tail.

Bent said:
Bummer, I grew up under their take off path from Norton AFB, about 6 miles away. I never got tired of watching them, especially when six or seven would take off on each others tail.
I got a ride in one a few years ago and got to watch a re-fueling from the cockpit...pretty cool thing to see! I live in the flightpath for an AFB too, McChord, and get to watch the C-17's come and go. Nothing like the Sound of Freedom.

The last C-141 to fly was the "Hanoi Taxi," the plane that evacuated POW's from Vietnam. They even left it in the same colors as it was in the '70s. Prett cool, if you ask me.

800px-Hanoi_Taxi.jpg

-----Matt-----

Air Force Reserves still fly C-141's. They were retired from AD in 2004. I don't know what this "last to fly" business is. Maybe the A or B model. Regardless, the pig you saw was a C-5, and that isn't very low. I live a few miles from Wright-Patt and see C-5's all the damn time.
edit: the last mission for the hanoi taxi.

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
No they just don't fly them any more...'cause they're parked here.

AMARC_at_Davis-Monthan_Air_Force_Base-cropped.jpg

And it looks more like a C-5...and the probability is vastly higher.

-----Matt-----

WHy do they keep the old planes? WHy not scrap them out? It would seem like storage could get expensive.
BSD

BSD said:
WHy do they keep the old planes? WHy not scrap them out? It would seem like storage could get expensive.
BSD
In case of WWIII. :D That's DavisMonthan AFB in Arizona. I went there a few years back and took a tour; pretty amazing sight.

Pretty cheap, actually. They just sit there in the desert. Probably cheaper than cutting them up for scrap.

They make artificial reefs out of some, actually.

-----Matt-----

kubtastic said:
Air Force Reserves still fly C-141's. They were retired from AD in 2004. I don't know what this "last to fly" business is. Maybe the A or B model. Regardless, the pig you saw was a C-5, and that isn't very low. I live a few miles from Wright-Patt and see C-5's all the damn time.
How many sources do you want citing the last flight of a C-141? All models, too.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_005908.php

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2005/09/mil-050928-afpn01.htm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060506/dasa001.html?.v=7

Try googling "Last C-141 flight."

-----Matt-----

I hope this argumentative thread doesn't get canned.:shiver:

IXNAYXJ said:

well then the air force should update it's fact sheet. sorry if you didn't read my edit on my original post.
http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=93

Lawn Cher' said:
I hope this argumentative thread doesn't get canned.:shiver:

Air Force planes aren't a protected species.

:D

Back