• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to swap trans

balloo93

NAXJA Forum User
2wd Manual owners!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I know a guy that is looking to get rid of a 4wd setup AX15. He wants a AX15 setup for a 2wd. I didn't think it was that hard to do the conversion, he thinks it is.

He is located in BAstrop Tx and would more than likely want to keep it near that area. If you were looking for an excuse to do a 4wd swap, here it is. This is a 98 XJ AX15 with a NP231. Not sure if he is selling the NP231. He only mentioned needing a AX15 with a 2wd setup.

If there are no takers...... Does anybody know how to go about swapping in a 4wd tail section on a 4wd AX15 trans?

Swapping the tailcones and shafts require complete disassembly.
As far as converting a jeep from 2WD to 4WD, its all bolt in, it's just very handy to have a donor Jeep so you can pull all the odds and ends out of it, like shift bezels and gates and so on.

Actually this guy wants to go the other direction and go from 4wd to 2wd. He did mention the fact that the output may need to be swapped, that's why he looking for a 2wd AX15 setup to swap out his 4wd AX15.

in that case he just needs the front "beam" axle from a 2wd, and a 2WD trans and driveshaft.

Okie Terry said:
In that case, he could just NOT put it in four wheel drive.....:dunce:

Yeah, that would be the easiest way around it except it's not actually for a XJ. He's converting a pacer wagon and I'm not sure what type of 4wd he is using. I just know he bought a 98 XJ for parts and it looks like the only thing he is using is the 4.0L and he though he could use the trans.

Back