• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a job, starting, umm....NOW...

JJ13 said:
If you want some motivation to stay in school come to Washington, I will set you up with a job pulling lumber 10 hours a day. If you don't quit before the end of the week you will definitely be dreaming of those easy nights doin homework in the dorm.

What does this entail? Seriously.

Ary'01XJ said:
What does this entail? Seriously.

I never done that sort of thing before, but I think I can understand the question....

wouldn't you like to be the kind of person that can say "i love my job"?

I'd be willing to bet, that anyone that pulls anything for 10 hours a day doesn't love anything other than the paycheck, and that might even be a source of strife.....

if you are looking for a "wake-up" experience, that might be a good thing.....work a crab boat in the alluetians for a couple months might sober you up real good......but it shouldn't have to come to that....I think one of the important things is, education affords you opportunites, and walking away from that avenue might cause some deep regret later in life....you don't wanna think abou tthis thread 15 years from now wishing you woulda listen to those people.

First of all, I'm not one to talk, I never went to school beyond high school (in fact, I had plans to go to community college after a year or two of working...well, it's been six years now...), anyway, you said that if you go to school the credits won't count for anything. Well, why not do it anyway? That way you'll still be in the habbit of it all. Take some classes that will have some worth to you, hell, maybe take the classes that gave you trouble over again so that you'll be that much futher ahead when you go back.

If you really want a change of scenery (moving doesn't make problems go away!) maybe find a job someplace with flexible hours and do the school thing. I don't know what it's like there with jobs and such, but I know that there's a few here that are easy to get no-skill jobs which will have good schedules (No sh$% In-N-Out, a burger place here gives $8.25 base!), as long as you can find some place to live that's cheap enough, you can give it a go, I'm sure you'll find something out there (or whatever geographical location you pick) that is similar.

I did the community college and work thing last spring. I didn't get jack out of it. I lived with my parents, but I didn't really live under their rein, they didn't tell me what to do or give me any "rules" really. Honestly I really just wanna travel, I'd love to hit the road and just drive around the country for a few months. Two problems with that idea, no money, and no one to go with me. I've got a little while before I have to make any decisions and this is something that's obviously constantly on my mind. My parents aren't pressuring me any which way, in fact, they haven't really reacted at all, so I don't know quite what to expect from them. I figure I just gotta do what I feel I gotta do, and they'll get over it if they disagree/disapprove(I will listen to their reasons and take them into account, for those of you that think I would just be acting in a "young and stupid manner").

Ary

I'd love to hit the road and just drive around the country for a few months

I did this back in 1995....

best fawkin experience ever.

this would do you some good.

money?

borrow some.....

find the means....

I lit out in march of 1995, drove 10,000 miles around us and canada. I shot over 50 rolls of film, probably more....came back home in june, a completely different person than when I left....

DON'T TAKE ANYONE WITH YOU.

go alone.

don't get homesick you big puss.....

just go.

do it.

Figure out what you are interested in. Don't find yourself burned out at 30. Granted, a degree is a great thing to have, not knowing what to do with it can suck, too. NETWORK!!! Sounds lame and cleche, but that's the best way to learn about opportunities. Ask around. I guarantee that someone you know knows someone who knows someone who is doing something that you are interested/skilled to do. You are at the age where you can do some traveling. You don't need much money. My brother hocked his stuff worked his way through South America on 600 bucks for 6 months and realized he wanted to get into public medcine. He's applying to public health programs and med schools now. YMMV. Explore and find what you are interested in.

Beezil said:

But do you really want to end up like Beezil? :shiver:

Seriously..You lucky SOB man, I've always wanted to do that!

Also, what Chris said is a very true point. You don't want to be burnt out, I waver in and out of burn out (okay, mostly in burn out) in my current field, I'm actually in a stage of re-thinking my future right now, trying to figure out something that I can do that won't kill my spirit.

Pulling lumber =shiat. Was more my way of saying stay in school. Everyone here has given you lots of great advice. I personally wish I would have applied myself after high school and gotten a college education. I took the proverbial (sp?) year off after high school. Just had my 10 year reunion last year. I am two quarters away from a degree now, but only because I lost my job and the government paid me to go to school. Forget the pulling lumber thing, we had ex-marines, and ex-loggers that quit after 2 hours. Not suggesting you couldn't cut it, just saying it isn't anything you would want to do. Very hard back breaking work, but it is an education as well. I learned more about myself during that time than any time I can remember.

for you current situation:

i would say do 2 yrs of manual labor, but get it in your head like you will have to do it the rest of your life. thats the best damn motivation there is. other than that you have to figure it out for yourself.

when your back in school:

the most important thing i have learned in school was from by my bio proff last year in comm. college. he said "Know your teachers". be there in class everyday so they can see your face (not to mention some teachers give bonus points for perfect attendance), talk to them after class or in office hours, ask questions, and participate in class. im not talking about being that over achieving asshole that everyone hates either, basically make your presence known. college is different from high school the teacher decides your grade in college not some arbitrary grading system.
this sem i had 2 of 4 teachers bump me up from final grades of 78's to 80's to give be 2 B's instead of 2 C's. and one bumped be up from a D to a C. this was nothing I asked for, but it came from knowing my teachers. you shoulda been straight for a 2.0 w/ a 1.92 gpa.
Hunter

Beezil said:

best fawkin experience ever.

this would do you some good.

money?

borrow some.....

find the means....

I lit out in march of 1995, drove 10,000 miles around us and canada. I shot over 50 rolls of film, probably more....came back home in june, a completely different person than when I left....

DON'T TAKE ANYONE WITH YOU.

go alone.

don't get homesick you big puss.....

just go.

do it.

It amazes me that most American's don't do this.

It is common for South African's, Aussie's and Kiwi's to take a year off and travel to Europe, right after high school. amazing how much being away from mommy and daddy forces you to mature. Also broadens your perspective of the world a whole bunch.

In South Africa we also had a form of the draft, called conscription, to deal with. So half of my buddies left high school and went to college, the other half went to do their two years duty. The guys that went to college had a 1st year failure rate three times higher than those who went to college after completing their military duty.

Why?

The boys who went to the military straight from HS became men. After two years service they were mature, had a bunch of life experience, and went to college to gain an education.

The boys who went to College from HS went to college to party and maybe learn something along the way. For many the party life lead to failing first year, or dropping out. They remained boys until they graduated, and became men when they had to join the real world.

It may appear so, especially in today's society, but a college degree is not a guarantee of success. Half of the Forbes 400, excluding inherited wealth, did not graduate college. Hard work and determination will eventually lead to success. And money most definitely does not equal success, although it helps. :D

Maybe a few years of hard manual labor will convince you you should have studied harder while you had the chance. As Sean P said, the world needs ditch diggers too.

Grant said:
Maybe a few years of hard manual labor will convince you you should have studied harder while you had the chance. As Sean P said, the world needs ditch diggers too.

Most young Americans are too spoiled to even consider something as low as manual labor. They want mommy and daddy to foot the bill for 4-8 years of partying and "learning" at the college of their choice. They expect to get a 60,000/year job right after graduating and it just doesnt happen.

As to your SAT Scores...the only time they count is for college admission.

I'd rather have 100 motivated people with 600 SAT's than 1 unmotivated 1200+ SAT.

Granted, there is something to be said about a college degree...it is an ENABLER, not a guarantee of a good/high paying job. There are hard facts that support this. That is the reason I went back to college.

SCHOOL SUCKS!!! It is designed to weed out those without the motivation to finish. If you think you have it hard now, try going back to school while holding a 60 hour workweek, a wife, kids, dogs, and a home to keep up with.

I know of several college educated people that are working menial jobs waiting for their dream job to drop in their lap. It's not gonna because they aren't actively pursuing it.

Are your parents footing the bill Ary, or are you paying your own way?

I think that if you were, you would realize that you are wasting precious time and money by playing games.

The real question is this... Are YOU ready to buckle down and do what is needed to take and pass the required courses, or are you gonna continue to bullshit around until the money runs out and you are forced to get a job?

Harsh words, but dammit someone has to say it.

My parents are footing the bill, I've never denied that. I also agree that it is probably part of the reason that I'm not motivated to get my ass in gear. I'm not ready to go back and buckle down, I know this, that's why I'm looking for a "life-changing experience." I've had one of these before. It was when I went to Philmont Scout Reservation between my junior and senior years of high school. I went there as a boy and came back a young man. I made several life-long friendships while I was there and matured greatly. I made Eagle Scout shortly thereafter and I believe that a lot of my drive to get it came from those 11 days on the trail.

A lot of people would consider me spoiled because I was fortunate enough to get parents who do well in life. However, those that know me, know that I'm far from the rotten brat who gets everything he asks for, simply because he asks for it. I'm not saying I'm not spoiled, I'm saying I'm not an unthankful brat. At this point, I really don't expect my parents to pay for my education anymore, not 'cause they wouldn't or don't want to, but 'cause I don't feel that I should let them.

Anyway, I'm gonna spend the holidays with my parents and extended family and then get a job and make some money so I can afford to travel later in the spring.

Ary

Hopefully your road trip will happen. Make sure to get some numbers from us, so as you hit our areas, like the west coast, you can meet and make some great connections!

Matt

Wow I was in your same Situation, back in 2001 I graduated High school, went to college, and I was paying for it, I woke up at 5am drove to school, (Hour drive, because of traffic) then went to work after a full schedule of school and got home at mid night, This made my grades suffer from lack of sleep I suppose. And 3/4 of my way thru the first year I just quit. I went back to my carwash job I had in High school back home and with the co workers who I graduated with. Yeah LOSER. Any who I was pretty lost did'nt know what to do and then the Marine recruiter called me....And I was about to just hang up on him like I usually do but my mom told me to just listen to what he had to say, (she answered the phone) So I listened, and he talked me into letting him come over I listened to his talk and found out you can to basically any regular job in the military,Anything!! you want to be truck driver you can do it, chef, computer geek, infantry, mechanic on anything, electrician, doctor, veternarian.... ANY THING. But I always had told my self it was'nt for me. And did'nt do it.... Well 3 months later guess what, I went to the recruiter because I was sick of being a nobody. I thought I was going to college for somthing l liked but I got bored he told me to sign up for a job totally differnt just try somthing new. So I chose to be an Aviation Mechanic went to boot camp, and year later I went from a small town in Minnesota, to San Diego, working a normal job only in Cargo pants, 3pm-11pm as an F-18 Mechanic, I went to schools in Virgina, Florida and Northern California For about 6-9 months, My average day was wake up, go to class, for 5 hours and then I was free the rest of the day to do what ever I wanted... Yes you can leave base, I was just like being in college, we would go out party at the beach, bars whatever. My recruiter said the Marines is like a Giant frat. and it is. I get housing allowance for me and my wife ok pay, and benifits for anything you can think of!! And I gaurentee all your friends, and your parents definatley your parents will look up to you more than you could ever image, plus Im starting school in the fall, long schedule work and school, but the goverment is going to pay for it, plus I have the GI bill when I get out for school any type of school, flying lessons, anything educational, except bar tending school... tried it... I guess its not actually certified. :bawl:
And I got college credits for all my training. If your unsure of what to do maybe just talk to a recruiter, Im having a blast lots of new friends, and new experiences and I definatley found who I am. Im not saying go join, but listen to what a recruiter has to say... Just don't join the navy being on ship sucks in my opinion, working on F-18s we go on the aircraft carrier often, exciting but stuck on a boat is no fun :)
Just my 2 cents... good luck!

ary,

are you looking for work at home or at school? i go to RU, and know a bunch of people who work at echostar in c'burg. its about the top pay starting out around here. you could do that for a while to earn money for a road trip or whatever. ....i guess all this depends on if you lived on or off campus though....

rick

Back