• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long cab XJ Possible?

Frankkl

NAXJA Forum User
Did any one ever see a extra long cab XJ, can it be done. Like taking the back of a 2 doors and put it on the back of a 4 doors to make it longer?

i dont have a link but i have seena strech lifted XJ limo that looked sweet ( crap for rocks but sweet none the less ) it was made oout of a two door front i believe.

There was one on E-bay recently that looked like a 4 door XJ that had been shut in right behind the rear seat and then they installed a MJ bed

Frankkl said:
Did any one ever see a extra long cab XJ, can it be done. Like taking the back of a 2 doors and put it on the back of a 4 doors to make it longer?

not positive the way you are describing, (it super bowl half time kinda drunk'ish) but incase you didnt know .... its not obvious and quite deciving that the 2 door and 4 door are the same length and same wheel base. The two door has of course much longer front doors. Total length is the same though.

Soooo if you are thinking of making a "long 4 door" by taking the front half od a factory 2 door, and grafting the rear doors of a factory 4 door, i thnk your custom would be about 1 1/2 ft longer.

Never seen one dont that way.

Longest 4 door i have seen is a quad cab mj, with factory front doors (which are the same as 2 door xj (longer than 4 door xj), then this fella put on 4 door xj rear doors, except he moded them to not have the wheel well recess, they look like chevy suburban doors as compared to tahoe doors. The rear doors of this quad cab mj had doors than the vertical line by the handle went north south ... no curve for the xj wheel arch.

Mr.OverKill said:
i dont have a link but i have seena strech lifted XJ limo that looked sweet ( crap for rocks but sweet none the less ) it was made oout of a two door front i believe.

This one?

apjlimo4en1dd7.jpg

i've been wanting to do the same thing ....front half from a 2door , cut/splice at the door jam a back door and rear half from a 4door . you should get a 10" longer wheel base . which would be great in the rocks .

one ofthese days i'll do it .

xrayjeeper83 said:
There was one on E-bay recently that looked like a 4 door XJ that had been shut in right behind the rear seat and then they installed a MJ bed

if i ever get any free time im planning on doing a conversion like that. which the way things look will be in about 20yrs...lol

Any body have the pictures of the XJ/MJ that was on ebay? I saw it and didnt save pics.It was actually a MJ that had been extended into a 4 door.

After the 2 projects I have in the shop I'll be building one out of the 2 MJ's and a XJ I have.

OlyWa

heres the only pics i have handy of a 4 door MJ

i can think of the ebay one, the one i posted, and atleast 3 more out there that were done half way decent.

the easiest in my mind is to get a 4 door xj, square up the rear doors, then graft the back of the mj cab to the back of the xj 4 door, then utilize the remains of a mj short bed maybe chop a foot off it and make a 5 foot bed.

The mj i posted is waaaay to long. The long bed with the quad cab looks really dumb to me.

Last edited:
an MJ front door is the same as a 4door xj front door...

the XJ 2 door doors are much larger than the MJ doors...

intreasting thread

~anyone seen a comanche moded to fit the longer doors (from 2 door xj)?
~how about one of those avalanche xj's moded to use the tail end\tailgait off an mj bed?
~or maybe an xmj6x6....an xj moded rear of the wheel wells with the mj back wall and a shortened bed

dang... cant find my photoshop

If I was going to do something like that, I'd grab the MJ front end, and use the sub frame as a starting point, and graft in square tubing and then graft the dog legs in making a proper frame, then on a body jig graft in everything from the A piller back, behind the front sections B piller. I'd close off the back behind the back seat but allow for that section of the back door to remain the same. I'd then make a mini box starting at the half way point of the rear fender of the MJ and having the tail gate as part of the unit. You would have to cut the rails off the bottom of the unibody and reinforce the floor underneath so you can mount the new longer body to the "frame" rails. I think the only downside would be the long rear driveshaft, unless you used a hanger bearing split drive set up.

91 Jeep Project said:
I made a thread about this a while ago when I got bored and dicked around on photoshop.

Original

Nice MJ, the crew cab version is what I am planing on doing "in a few years" when "I get the time" in other words if I hit the lotto :)

Most of my Jeep building (two XJ's and a YJ) have been centered around making them more utilitarian and work truck like, so I guess I really should be looking for a crew cab pickup but I just can't get visions of "Comanchero" (I know most call theirs Cheromanchee's but IMO Comanchero sounds better and is an actual word (as well as the title of a John Wayne Movie and how freakin cool is that?).

I also can't get rid of the image of a YJ8 (YJ crossed with a scrambler) for my YJ... and TJ/CJ it already has round headlight grille from a TJ, a 4.0 head, and doors and tops from a CJ7... JUst need to stretch the wheel base, buy a hard half top from Summit SUT, and add a foot and a half or so to the rear with a CJ drop down tail gate ... and I'd have the perfect mutt Jeep, the YJ8 Scrambler/Wrangler AKA "Scragler".

never actualy been in a 2 door (now that i think about it) what kind of space gain would be achieved and were would it go (in front or behind the seat)

1bolt said:
Nice MJ, the crew cab version is what I am planing on doing "in a few years" when "I get the time" in other words if I hit the lotto :)

A build like that actually wouldn't cost you much more over a standard build. You basically just need a complete MJ and XJ. Plenty of those with solid bodies to be had for cheap. The MJ would take a little more looking, but it'd could be done without to much trouble. Then you just have to know how to weld very well, and have the space.

The crew cab is very, very cool!
Imagine this w/ a color-matched roof tent, ARB bumper, long arms, 37-38" tires w/ matching axles, a spare tire mounted to the back side of the cab and two drawers which slide out to the back of the vehicle...
:shocked:

Back