• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long cab XJ Possible?

53guy said:
great photochops!!

Thanks, it's a hobby..............:D

BlueGerbil said:
The crew cab is very, very cool!
Imagine this w/ a color-matched roof tent, ARB bumper, long arms, 37-38" tires w/ matching axles, a spare tire mounted to the back side of the cab and two drawers which slide out to the back of the vehicle...
:shocked:

Roof tent, 44/9", 37s, TnT LAs, Rock Trac. Yeah, it'd be a fun rig.

Last edited:
akamcbird said:
~how about one of those avalanche xj's moded to use the tail end\tailgait off an mj bed?

Not sure what you mean by avalanche...but I'm almost done with the MJ tailgate idea on mine...

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01528.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01533.JPG

BlueGerbil said:
The crew cab is very, very cool!
Imagine this w/ a color-matched roof tent, ARB bumper, long arms, 37-38" tires w/ matching axles, a spare tire mounted to the back side of the cab and two drawers which slide out to the back of the vehicle...
:shocked:

*throws bucket of cold water on blue gerbil* Geez get a room with it why dont ya! lol

I dig it too. I always wanted to make a 4runner 'esq mj. I wanted to get an MJ short bed, and just chop out the back of the cab, weld it up all pretty, and then get a can back soft top for the rear (or have a local boat shop make me one)

like this.

03.jpg

"Not sure what you mean by avalanche...but I'm almost done with the MJ tailgate idea on mine..." -vetteboy

yah mini avalanche...
so the tailgait is all the mj you used?

akamcbird said:
yah mini avalanche...
so the tailgait is all the mj you used?

Gotcha...and yeah I can see the resemblance now.

Yeah the tailgate is pretty much it, I used the hardware on the frame side as well (the latches and pivot points) but everything else was fabricated. I've got a thread in the bodywork forum that details the whole process.

no kidding! it's all the doing that is the hard part, finding time, convincing spouse, putting aside money, convincing spouse again, consoling spouse after you spent the money, consoling her about the new junk vehicle that's "only temporary", convincing her you're not crazy when you start hacking it all apart.

That's the hard part. getting a doner MJ and doors from an XJ 2 door; sawz-all'ing your rig in half ten inches (or whatever) from the B pillar at a straight flat area in the doorway that will line up perfectly with the same straight flat area where you cut the back off your doner. then sawing the doner the same way EXCEPT leaving 8 or 10 or 12 extra inches, this amount of course being determined by the extra length of the 2 door XJ sized doors compared to stock MJ doors. then welding the doner MJ's "extra" cab into place. Is the easy part....

Of course you would want lots of temporary square tube trusses inside and underneath so that you could set the extra cab part in place and tack it in a few places so you could mount the doors... BOTH DOORS that is.

and readjust to make the rear graft fit the door lines perfectly...

Did I mention that you'll want to make your graft cuts perfectly square? And perfectly plum?

Oh yeah and you'll probably want a frame jig or better yet, a table, as well as a rotisserie for finish welding the underside. Yeah the how is the easy part.

1bolt said:
no kidding! it's all the doing that is the hard part, finding time, convincing spouse, putting aside money, convincing spouse again, consoling spouse after you spent the money, consoling her about the new junk vehicle that's "only temporary", convincing her you're not crazy when you start hacking it all apart.

That's the hard part. getting a doner MJ and doors from an XJ 2 door; sawz-all'ing your rig in half ten inches (or whatever) from the B pillar at a straight flat area in the doorway that will line up perfectly with the same straight flat area where you cut the back off your doner. then sawing the doner the same way EXCEPT leaving 8 or 10 or 12 extra inches, this amount of course being determined by the extra length of the 2 door XJ sized doors compared to stock MJ doors. then welding the doner MJ's "extra" cab into place. Is the easy part....

Of course you would want lots of temporary square tube trusses inside and underneath so that you could set the extra cab part in place and tack it in a few places so you could mount the doors... BOTH DOORS that is.

and readjust to make the rear graft fit the door lines perfectly...

Did I mention that you'll want to make your graft cuts perfectly square? And perfectly plum?

Oh yeah and you'll probably want a frame jig or better yet, a table, as well as a rotisserie for finish welding the underside. Yeah the how is the easy part.

You make this sound like its really hard.
Rotisserie CHECK
MJ CHECK
personal cherokee junkyard CHECK
2 door doors.... I guess I need to find some.

All just dreams. I would much rather have a driver NOW, than say 1 year from now.

motorcityxj said:
*throws bucket of cold water on blue gerbil* Geez get a room with it why dont ya! lol

I dig it too. I always wanted to make a 4runner 'esq mj. I wanted to get an MJ short bed, and just chop out the back of the cab, weld it up all pretty, and then get a can back soft top for the rear (or have a local boat shop make me one)

like this.

03.jpg
Would be eaiser to just cage then chop an XJ. Kind of like what Rev has going on.

FunnyPart-com-no_kidding.jpg

my iq is seriously depleated by reading this thread

Back