• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers for chrysler 8.25

Powertrax no slip. Is it a limited slip or a locker? Would it work well for rock crawling(moderate)?

hammerandnailsco said:
Powertrax no slip. Is it a limited slip or a locker? Would it work well for rock crawling(moderate)?

It's a "lunchbox" locker, which loosely means it is a locker that installs inside the carrier replacing the spider gears, without having to do any major refits (like with an Ox or ARB) to the carrier itself. It is not as powerful as a full-on carrier replacement, but tough enough to get the job done. If you are running a Powertrax on 29-spline and 31"s/32"s, you'll do fine on moderate crawling.

And note: Lockrite and Powertrax are owned by Richmond Gear, and Lockrite does NOT work with 29-spline carriers ('97-'01 XJs), only in the 27-splines.

Now, a limited slip is a carrier replacement that engages when there is a need to transfer torque over to a non-moving wheel in any application, say wet pavement, crawling over obstacles, etc. How it works is this. The carrier usually has a spring-loaded piece (preloaded with torsion) and a series of clutches that spin equally without resistance when the Jeep is on even pavement. The only time the clutches engage is when one wheel spins faster than the other (as when turning, on ice, hydroplaning, mud, rocks, etc...). Once this happens, the clutches resist the different speeds of the wheels, wanting both wheels to be spinning equally. If one wheel decides it wants to spin faster than the other, it has to overpower the clutches to do it. This friction, combined with the stiff springs, determines how much torque is applied to the wheels/tires so that they will spin together with equal torque before overpowering occurrs. This means it's hard to predict when the clutch will engage in an offroading condition, but if they do they are pretty reliable in getting your rig over obstacles. But once the clutches are overpowered, slipping occurrs again, and you lose valuable traction in the process.

I've done moderate crawling on high blues at Rausch with my Lock Right on the 27 sp with 31s and it never showed any signs of not being powerful or tough enough. With a very heavy right foot, you might start to push your luck in certain situations in the breakage sense, but I normally dont do that.

CanMan said:
Probably the best option on a cheaper axle like that. Miller Locker here.

I don't see a spool for the 29 spline 8.25 now that would be a nice cheap option, better then Miller or Lincolning it. Even a mini spool to have a nice lunch box no nonscense cheap traction.

Big Red said:
I don't see a spool for the 29 spline 8.25 now that would be a nice cheap option, better then Miller or Lincolning it. Even a mini spool to have a nice lunch box no nonscense cheap traction.

But by Miller/Lincoln/Hobart locking it, I can run JV with the big dogs. :rolleyes:

Actually, welding it is cheaper than a spool, and acts just like one.

CanMan said:
But by Miller/Lincoln/Hobart locking it, I can run JV with the big dogs. :rolleyes:

Actually, welding it is cheaper than a spool, and acts just like one.

A welded diff works just like a spool, but when the weld break your diff....:explosion :shocked:

For a stock diff like a 8.25 or dana 35 that you don't have $ into in the way of gears and nice alloy shafts etc, then who cares, but if you spend the $ on this stuff, I would just assume buy a spool for around $100...if there is such a thing for a 8.25 that is.....then risk the breakage that results when a weld goes and you have all the crap turning in your axle. Also depending on your welding skills you could have a good amount of crap in there anyways before you break the weld.

Look around and you can find a powertrax no-slip for cheaper then $300. I got mine for $200, I was the 3rd person to own it but the first to ever install it.

Big Red said:
A welded diff works just like a spool, but when the weld break your diff....:explosion :shocked:

For a stock diff like a 8.25 or dana 35 that you don't have $ into in the way of gears and nice alloy shafts etc, then who cares, but if you spend the $ on this stuff, I would just assume buy a spool for around $100...if there is such a thing for a 8.25 that is.....then risk the breakage that results when a weld goes and you have all the crap turning in your axle. Also depending on your welding skills you could have a good amount of crap in there anyways before you break the weld.

if they made a spool, I would have one....
I think welding will be the way to go..... :skull1:

Whay is a spool? and What do you weld?:huh:

Excuse my ignorance

I don't think it's been mentioned, but it is not advisable to weld/spool a DD. My 8.25 is welded, and I couldn't imagine how fast it would go through tires if it was my DD. I'd say fast enough to pay for that locker in less than a year!

Big Red said:
For a stock diff like a 8.25 or dana 35 that you don't have $ into in the way of gears and nice alloy shafts etc, then who cares, but if you spend the $ on this stuff, I would just assume buy a spool for around $100...if there is such a thing for a 8.25 that is
This is EXACTLY why I welded mine, it is seen as a temporary solution for cheap traction until I can swap in an axle that allows lower gears than 4.56 (other than that I have no complaints about this axle). Plus if it does break, the whole axle could be replaced for under $150.

And no, thay don't make a spool for a 8.25.

When I purchased my 98 XJ the C8.25 (29 spline) came with a TracLoc and when the clutches started to go... I purchased a PowerTrax NoSlip (when still owned and run by PowerTrax) and installed the lunchbox locker into the TracLoc carrier. Performed quite well for several years until I upgraded to a Detroit Locker....
Have been quite pleased with the trail performance it has provided over the past 5 years....

Back