• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker in 8.25

Depends on what tires your running, but in reality 33's on a locked 8.25 is almost bulletproof, 35's is still alright. Also depends on 27 or 29 spline, what year is yours?

-Alex

Go for it.

do it hasta

I ran a no-slip in a 29 spline 8.25 hard for 2 years (with 33's and an auto transmission). No problems at all....

I have the same one on order now for my current Cherokee w/ 33s. I will go to 35s when the 33s wear out without any hesitation about the locker.

I'm sorry i dont mean to hi-jack the thread or anything but i have a question that i feel is relevant to the topic at hand here.

what company do you guys deal with for your lockers? i dont have any experience with lockers at all.

my 94 cherokee is my DD and i would like to have a 2 wheel peel instead of the old 1 wheel peel. would i need to go to a limited slip or no-slip because of the road driving?

oh and mine is also the 8.25 rear and 30 front.

windle said:
i got a 96 and was planing on 33s
'96 was a transition year. My early (Nov. '95 build) is a 27 spline, later ones MAY be 29 spline, the only way to know for sure is to open the diff. and count.
I've run a PowerTrax Liited Slip for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it, but with my light weight, manual trans., 4.11 gears and almost stock tire size, it tends to lock up when turning.
The only way to tell if a wheel if off the ground is to L@@K.

philagony94xj said:
I'm sorry i dont mean to hi-jack the thread or anything but i have a question that i feel is relevant to the topic at hand here.

what company do you guys deal with for your lockers? i dont have any experience with lockers at all.

my 94 cherokee is my DD and i would like to have a 2 wheel peel instead of the old 1 wheel peel. would i need to go to a limited slip or no-slip because of the road driving?

oh and mine is also the 8.25 rear and 30 front.

How much do you want to spend? If you want a full time in the rear and have some cash I would say detriot, if you wanna save a few hundred aussie or lockrite, same thing for the front.

-Alex

Full time eh?

Just throw a no slip in the rear, good road manners and great off road manners. It is a locker that goes inside your current carrier = easy install.

Ramsey said:
Full time eh?

Just throw a no slip in the rear, good road manners and great off road manners. It is a locker that goes inside your current carrier = easy install.

he doesn't really need to spend that much money. his user name implies 94 xj which means he'd have the 27 spl unless he did a swap to a 29 spl... and there are more lunchbox options for the 27 spl. there's a lock right that's about 100 bucks less and works just the same. no-slip is a little smoother though. my friend has a lock right in the rear of his tacoma and i almost crapped myself the first time i was in it and it unloaded.

yes you are correct i do have the 27 spline rear. i just had the axles out last week to do bearings and seals.

so a no-slip is what would be recommended for the DD but on weekends wants to have a little fun in the mud and rocks? yes less $ in parts = more gas $ in truck

looks like i have my research material in hand. time to web surf. cowabunga!!

kinda cheesy but i had to one time.

I saw that, but a no slip has better road manners in the rear and with it being his DD I would spend the little extra for the smoother operation.

Ramsey said:
I saw that, but a no slip has better road manners in the rear and with it being his DD I would spend the little extra for the smoother operation.
PowerTrax doesnt come in a 27 spline, Lockright does. I also agree the Powertrax is a nice lunchbox, cant say I like my d30 lockright as much...

redXJlimited said:
PowerTrax doesnt come in a 27 spline, Lockright does. I also agree the Powertrax is a nice lunchbox, cant say I like my d30 lockright as much...

actually powertrax makes both the no-slip and the lock right. and there is a no-slip for the 27 spline. it's just not really worth buying that vs any other lunchbox. makes life easy if we all refer to the same parts by the same name!

redXJlimited said:
PowerTrax (No-Slip)doesnt come in a 27 spline, a Powertrax(Lockright) does. I also agree that Powertrax's makes nice lunchbox lockers, cant say I like my d30 lockright as much...
Fixed it for you!:wave:

asp387 said:
actually powertrax makes both the no-slip and the lock right. and there is a no-slip for the 27 spline. it's just not really worth buying that vs any other lunchbox. makes life easy if we all refer to the same parts by the same name!

I thought Richmond Gear made both?
My bad, I thought the lockright covered the 27 spline.

I think Richmond owns powertrax????? But I may be wrong. According to PORC my Powertrax No-slip is back ordered waiting on Richmond to send them out. Boo!

I could have really used it last weekend on the big ledge climbing out of Kane Creek Canyon!

Last edited:
Back