• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifts and Allignments..FYI

TritonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
FYI on Allignment Specs....

Guys I'm not sure if this is where this should be but I just wanted to share with everyone because I went crazy trying to find someone to Allign my XJ with an 8" lift. I called the manufacturer of the lift and they looked up the specs in my case 1998 XJ with 8" SkyJacker RockReady lift goes by factory specs + 2 degrees caster. I told the shop doing the Allignment and they are all set.

Most every place I called said they could not allign it because they didn't have specs for an 8" lift, so before you go call who ever makes the lift or if you have the directions for the install it will often have them in the directions.

I am aware that some of you may be aware of this but I could not find anything while doing a search. And it is the first time I have tried to allign since I lifted it. I just replaced tie rods, ball joints and bushings so it is much needed. If it helps even one person then to me it is worth posting.

Thx
Doug...

Your going to be hating life!You got some bad info,castor is about 5-8*!

Caster of 4-7 degrees on a lifted XJ is cool, but the trade off is at the expense of front pinion angle.

Unless Triton is running locking hubs, this combination will result in front driveline vibrations that will knock filling loose........I'm at 6" of lift on my 2000, and am running a High Pinion D30 with 2.5* of caster and I still get vibes out of my front shaft at 70+mph and it handles poorly on the freeway.

4 choices, in no particular order:

1-Run without a front Dshaft and enjoy the pleasure of steering with stock caster specs
2-Run with the front Dshaft and try to find a happy medium between dshaft vibes and acceptable caster, at the compromise of crappy steering
3-Purchase a hub kit for the D30 so you can run stock caster
4-Rotate the knuckles back 4-5* to compensate for lift-induced caster reduction

Guys I have never had any issues with vibrations or wondering with my jeep in fact it really does ride very nice on the highway. switching lanes like a car smooth and I can drive 80 - 85 no problem with no vibs at any speed. been like that for 4 or 5 years it's just that I just put all new tie rod ends and bushings etc in the front so now I want to get it alligned again. The garage that did it the first time did a fantastic job for it to handle that way. I'm hoping for the same results this time.

The shop that did the lift for me had it alligned at a place that is no longer in business so I had to find a place to do it this time. Had I known to begin with that they needed different specs I would have had them before I went. I do not know factory specs for my 98xj as far as allignment I just went by what Sky Jacker told me. hopefully all the info they gave me is correct.

Some of my jeep specs are

NP242 TC
Air Conditioning
8” Skyjacker Lift
35” ProComp Xterrains
Micky Thompson Classic Lock Wheels
Super 30 Kit front
Dana 60 Rock Crusher rear
Ford Explorer disk brakes in rear
456 gears

ARB lockers front and back
Tom Woods Drive shaft and Slip Yoke Eliminator kit
Detours Rock Sliders
Custom Mounted Shocks above axle
Rubicon Express Sway Bar Lowering Kit

Pic1ofJeep.jpg

troy6187 said:
he said factory specs plus 2 degrees. meaning 7 - 9 degrees castor. sounds about rite for 8'' of lift.

X2 Nice Rig!!!

Nice Jeep!
But if you just changed the Tie rod, ball joints and some bushings, and you were happy with handling before, why not just adjust the Toe, and be done? Why mess with castor unless you are unhappy with the conditon of your front shaft Ujoint?

redXJlimited said:
Nice Jeep!
if you were happy with handling before, why not just adjust the Toe, and be done? Why mess with castor unless you are unhappy with the conditon of your front shaft Ujoint?

The garages around here in (new Hampshire) (and very few at that) said they would not touch it with out specs for my lift. they may not have to do much but they still wanted them before they would do it.

Well, I'm going to be putting in new UCAs (adjustable) and am going to try and find a happy medium for vibes and steering. I'll try and let ya'll know what I end up doing. I have a high pinion D30 and about 5.5" of lift.

Triton,

What do you think about daily driving with the Skyjacker Rock Hard kit? I am looking at a cherokee that has it and I would probably drive 500 miles a month or less. I carpool to work, so the main driving would only be small trips around town or to the trails.
The jeep is on 35's with 4.11's and HP30 and Chrysler 8.25 29spline.

I would appreciate any advice. If i do buy it I may change to 33's for around town and save the 35's for the trail.

flash2pablo said:
Triton,

What do you think about daily driving with the Skyjacker Rock Hard kit?

I love the lift with one big exception the hyme joints they wear out quick and annoy the hell out of you. Other then that people who ride in my jeep always say i thought it would ride bad lifted like this but it rides nice, followed by what is that banging? the hymes.

over all i believe it rides better than most lifts.

I am either getting johhny joints to replace the ends or new Control arms all together, not decided yet.

Back