• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift rears 35s and breaks ?

i dont understand the need for excessive lift for mud... your only as tall as your axles. i guess its just a matter of keeping water out of the cab. :dunno:

That is part of it. Water and mud are going to get into the cab eventually if you're driving past the lower door seals. But, you can minimise resistance in the mud by raising the chassis so no part or less of it "drags" through. 6.5" is fine, but 8" would be ideal for mud with a 33"+ wheel. More gap between the fender and tire means more area to "throw" mud and clear the treads. Also it keeps the engine/exhaust up higher so it can breath. You don't have to trim the fenders with these higher lift heights if you don't want to. Thus, you could lower it and not have an effect on resale values. I personally would trim it any way. Just because I like the "flare free" performance (fits nicely on tighter trails) and the fact I've yet to see flares that last in these environments. But this is my opinion and it's based on my experience. The OP mentioned both lift options and it's ultimately his or her own choice. 6.5" may be ideal for him/her. Then again, he or she may wish to try 8" and see if it fits their driving style. Everyone won't enjoy driving an XJ at 8" on skinny tires. But I find it's an excellent way to ride. Just my suggestion and I am not really arguing my case. The other experiences are just as valid for their thinking caps. Just trying to provide an other voice for the OP to consider. ;)

not mutch rock crawling mostly mud and a daily driver of 15 miles lol

By the by, welcome to HoneyBadger's Mud/Street XJ 101. LOL! Sorry for hijacking your posted thread with my views. Please, ignore me or let me know if you don't agree and I'll gladly support your decision. We're not all "HoneyBadgers." I am not looking to convert any one to my way of thinking. 3.5" lift can be just as much fun as 6.5" or 8". More so if you're taking corners fast, hitting the washboard roads at high speeds or rock bashing. ;)

why are people crying about the 8" like they no somthing ?

Because everyone who said No, KNOWS SOMETHING! GTFO with that attitude man, they are trying to help!

8" is too damn tall for an XJ, no matter what, especially on a DD. I am at 3.5" and will soon be sitting on 33's. Height isn't everything!

well mabie if u fin no somthing right about it what the f and i gonna do with info like EVERYTHING ?take your grochery getter elsewear

still drunk from hitting the shore last night? gtfo of here with that attitude, you know nothing. fullsizes on 10" of lift are MUCH wider than a cherokee on stock axles. if you were swapping in some real axles under there than 8" of lift wouldnt be an issue.. but when you're sky high with pizza cutters at 57" wide you'll be wobbling and you will fall over. sorry dude, you fail. also, modern browsers and smartphones have spellcheck, i suggest using it.

Im no super cherokee guy but I have had 5 from no lift to 6.5, and its preferance alot. Sports cars are low and wide because its more stable. Thats a fact, tall and thin will me less stabe but with good shocks sway bars on (you want them in mud anyway) it could be very managable. Not as easy as 3.5 lift and 33 12.5s but still safe. Im running 5 inches and 34x10.5 ltbs and its good, backspacing helped a ton. Whatever the lift you have to tune it correct. Best of luck, welcome to naxja.
Me ide leaf spring the front swap to wagoneer axles run 8inches ......o wait thats in the garage

I know whole new concept, now I just gotta get some tapout stickers and ill be cool....... It was a joke I didnt like the way it rode at 8 inches with coils so I went full size on axles for stability I can fly through a mud pit and my wife and kids feel safe. But I do like how u crack at me when I agreed with you on the full size axles.
Appoligies to OP for offtopics

well mabie if u fin no somthing right about it what the f and i gonna do with info like EVERYTHING ?take your grochery getter elsewear

LOL seriously? Your original post was impossible to read, but this is just gibberish.

You'll be spending a fortune to get an 8" lift and have all the steering, suspension and drivetrain stay together when mudding and daily driving. Do a little research on this site before asking questions, then getting an attitude with everyone that doesn't agree with your ideas. I'd say just go buy a mid 90's full size chevy, lift it to the sky and put 38" boggers on it.

We really need a 'muddin' section on NAXJA for people like this who want huge lifts and huge tires on their XJ.

alright here is my 2 cents i have a 94 cherokee with an 8-9 inch long arm kit with 35 inch tires i have no sway bars and it is my DD i drive it everywhere 500 mile round trips have never rolled or even came close to rolling i tow with it i do everything with it i commute 50 miles round trip to work everyday and absolutely no problems so im suggesting 8 inch long arm lift with 35s and 488 gears great setup couldnt ask for more will do anything and everything you ask it to go you need the chassis clearance for deep mud holes and to keep the water and mud out

8" on an XJ is teh ghey. Unless you're gonna rock some Unimogs or other ungodly drivetrain components ::sarcasm::

Inbeforethreadlock

046.jpg

8" on an XJ is teh ghey. Unless you're gonna rock some Unimogs or other ungodly drivetrain components ::sarcasm::

Inbeforethreadlock

046.jpg
and its daily driven...

That is part of it. Water and mud are going to get into the cab eventually if you're driving past the lower door seals. But, you can minimise resistance in the mud by raising the chassis so no part or less of it "drags" through. 6.5" is fine, but 8" would be ideal for mud with a 33"+ wheel. More gap between the fender and tire means more area to "throw" mud and clear the treads. Also it keeps the engine/exhaust up higher so it can breath. You don't have to trim the fenders with these higher lift heights if you don't want to. Thus, you could lower it and not have an effect on resale values. I personally would trim it any way. Just because I like the "flare free" performance (fits nicely on tighter trails) and the fact I've yet to see flares that last in these environments. But this is my opinion and it's based on my experience. The OP mentioned both lift options and it's ultimately his or her own choice. 6.5" may be ideal for him/her. Then again, he or she may wish to try 8" and see if it fits their driving style. Everyone won't enjoy driving an XJ at 8" on skinny tires. But I find it's an excellent way to ride. Just my suggestion and I am not really arguing my case. The other experiences are just as valid for their thinking caps. Just trying to provide an other voice for the OP to consider. ;)
i can see the points i suppose... and out of personal preference, an XJ would not be my choice for a mud truck. i dont think it has enough weight for those skinnies to effectively dig down past all the gunk. im also not a fan of mud after having water up to the seats twice. but i guess as long as your having fun and no one is getting hurt your not doing it "wrong" right?

k... I daily drive my jeep and wheel on the weekends on trails antything from mud to rocks, steep climbs and sidehilling and I will tell you this. I run 8 inch coils. BUT alot of you guys must be forgeting that an 8 inch coil will not sit at 8 inches after you add all your armor, bumpers, winch, huge 35 spare tire and wheel. You net about 7 inches of lift. I see no problem with this as long as your rig is setup right. Fix your track bar and draglink angles. Go over the knuckle steering and bring the track bar over the axle. Run a stout long arm kit to fix your control arm angles and handling. If you dial everything in properly it will actually ride on the street better than stock. (personal experience)

Back