• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lets see you home brew bumpers!!

posted this numerous times but hey, what's one more time.

625.jpg

Front bumper design coming soon that quite possibly will be available for purchase.

heres mine id like to fab a new one now. it works good, got me out of plenty of jams. :laugh:

faa0fe5a.jpg

JeepFreak21 said:
Those aren't 36's there are they???
Billy

tires have been looking smaller and smaller ever since I found this place a couple years ago, and especially POR. I just saw a picture of an XJ on 39" swampers and thought to myself "that looks like a good size, nothing too drastic" then read that they were 39s!

I remember 2.5 years ago seeing an XJ with 6 inches and 33s and thinking it was huge! I don't even flinch for less than 35s now... that's why this hobby gets so expensive

low profile front bumper

I got really tired of always banging my front bumper into rocks while trying to enter gullies or climb cliffs. I decided that I could make my own and get it the way I wanted it. It was really simple to make and even powder coated it myself. I have to touch up a couple of spots where I skinned it on the install. It's no protection if Bambi tries to come aboard but has very good clearance both forward and also toward the wheels. The hardest part was making the brackets to mount it to the body/frame. Bumper itself is an 8 inch channel that was partially slit in four places , bent to shape and then the slits rewelded. I like the clearance so well I'm going to make one for the rear. The only drawback is that it is a lot heavier than the bumper it replaced. But also is a lot stronger.

3DSC_03577-med.jpg

3DSC_03566-med.jpg

Xj4rocks....

627.jpg

How much of a gap was left when you cut the body under the tail lights?
Did you fill the gap with something or just leave it open?
I like that "wrap around" design, that is what I have been trying to design for mine but haven't quite got it worked out in my head. I would like to make the rear bumper as wide as the Bushwackers like I did for the front bumper.

Danno, I like the curved look. That is Sweet!

seanR said:
How much of a gap was left when you cut the body under the tail lights?
Did you fill the gap with something or just leave it open?
I like that "wrap around" design, that is what I have been trying to design for mine but haven't quite got it worked out in my head. I would like to make the rear bumper as wide as the Bushwackers like I did for the front bumper.

Danno, I like the curved look. That is Sweet!

You can cut the outter skin like I did and fold the inner skin forward and weld it shut. Or vice versa, cut the back skin and fold the outer skin in. either way it's about 8" max and tapers. there are a bunch of posts here in the mod tech forum on hacking the rear quarters.

2offroad said:
i did get tired of everybody whining about paint and painted them. need new pixs. they are 6X3X3/16 so i thought it would take a looong time to rust thru.

LONG TIME TO RUST yes......but they didn't take long to break :lecture:

.....oh that was your weld not the metal..... :wave1:

96xjeeper said:
LONG TIME TO RUST yes......but they didn't take long to break :lecture:

.....oh that was your weld not the metal..... :wave1:

very funny, next time i'll just leave you in the pit.

oh wait, steve had to use the tractor. never mind.

Re: low profile front bumper

Danno said:
I got really tired of always banging my front bumper into rocks while trying to enter gullies or climb cliffs. I decided that I could make my own and get it the way I wanted it. It was really simple to make and even powder coated it myself. I have to touch up a couple of spots where I skinned it on the install. It's no protection if Bambi tries to come aboard but has very good clearance both forward and also toward the wheels. The hardest part was making the brackets to mount it to the body/frame. Bumper itself is an 8 inch channel that was partially slit in four places , bent to shape and then the slits rewelded. I like the clearance so well I'm going to make one for the rear. The only drawback is that it is a lot heavier than the bumper it replaced. But also is a lot stronger.

http://www.sb-host.com/imagehost/data/6029/3DSC_03577-med.jpg

http://www.sb-host.com/imagehost/data/6029/3DSC_03566-med.jpg

Do you have any pictures/details on how you mounted the winch? Also, what did you use to bend the channel to close the slits. I like this bumper, I might build mine like this. Probably use a slightly narrowing piece of metal and angle it a bit more though.

My front bumper. (and yes, those are 39.5's.) :greensmok

Picture989.jpg

Trevorxj said:
Heres mine, it was a stock ARB Bull Bar, but I wanted something different. This is what I came up with.

f99394e0.jpg

Got any pics of the bumper on the jeep
Love to see them.
email to [email protected]

Back