• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lets see you home brew bumpers!!

I dunno deke, hard to say....... 1/4" was sad......so sad, you wouldn't expect much more from 3/8.....

I say 1/2, 5/8 to be bomber and be done with it, as always, YMMV

wow bloose, i like that. do you have any more pics of the mounting brackets or anything. i have beat the mess out of my stock rear bumper, thats why i cant justify buying a rear one, but a tire carrier would be nice.

Mark

Beezil said:
come awn man, you gotta cut him a break, afterall, he's chanting "naxja"....

that's gotta count for something....

lets see what I can find.....

AUT_1205.JPG

AUT_1203.JPG

AUT_1406.JPG

hey Beezil! That's your bumpers?? you are making them? Very cool! If so...how much? :)

redjeepguy said:
wow bloose, i like that. do you have any more pics of the mounting brackets or anything. i have beat the mess out of my stock rear bumper, thats why i cant justify buying a rear one, but a tire carrier would be nice.

Mark

Which mounting brackets??? The ones I used to mount the tire carrier to the stock bumper? Or the ones to mount my new bumper to the frame? You may have read in part 2 that the stock bumper flexed from the weight of the carrier when open. I also ran into a problem with the new bumper I made stressing out the stock bumper mount location (so much so that the mounts on the body cracked). I wound up repairing the stock location and also tying the bumper into the hitch mounting point on the frame. It is now all very sturdy and I can beat the heck out of it with no problems except the paint and the bumper corners. The bumper corners are quick release. ;)

B-loose

Hey, there's this almost magical new material out there. We call it PAINT. :laugh3:

OneTonXJ said:
Hey, there's this almost magical new material out there. We call it PAINT. :laugh3:
i did get tired of everybody whining about paint and painted them. need new pixs. they are 6X3X3/16 so i thought it would take a looong time to rust thru.

csudman, Do you have a clearer pic of your rear bumper, I am thinking about one and I like the way yours wraps around the sides.

Every one was talking about the thickness of the shackel tabs on the bumpers, B is right, they will bend very easily, even if they go all the way through the face of the bumper. I wont use them to pull with, I only use them as a tie down point when trailering.

The BEST front recovery point is a 2" reciever slot. I made a license plae holder to fit into mine for everyday driving, when I wheel, I take the plate out.

Follow link to front bumper pics

Heres a link for a buddy in the socal group that makes an awesome front bumper. I have it and love it!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19425&highlight=DAN+TURNER

These bumpers are in production now and available!

By the way, the pics are a little decieving. The bumper pics shown on the white XJ have the bottom of the bumper removed to show mounting. The bumper is boxed on 3 sides and has a bottom that doubles as a skid plate. Ask me how I know this! :gee: :laugh3:

Last edited:
seanR said:
csudman, Do you have a clearer pic of your rear bumper, I am thinking about one and I like the way yours wraps around the sides.

Every one was talking about the thickness of the shackel tabs on the bumpers, B is right, they will bend very easily, even if they go all the way through the face of the bumper. I wont use them to pull with, I only use them as a tie down point when trailering.

The BEST front recovery point is a 2" reciever slot. I made a license plae holder to fit into mine for everyday driving, when I wheel, I take the plate out.

Ill get some photos soon.

Mine has gone through three version changes. It could stand at least one more revision to cut down the round tube across the front (too wide in the middle).

Front_bumper.jpg

yotaparts said:
K9 where is that?
That pic was taken up at the Cherokee Wildlife Management Area just north of Searcy in Wilburn. Its a decent place to do some wheelin when the river isn't 10' deep. We'll have to go sometime. I've never been on a "All XJ" outing before. I always get tired of waiting on these guys, but at least there is always a Jeep there to pull them out....
005ed.jpg

Back