• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring install headaches

Mark Hinkley said:
...............Pep boys has nothing that should be put on a off roading rig, period...............
mark

Bah Mark, they've got some really cool Red LED winshield washer squirters that'd look sweet on your rig!

...........(plus I wanted to have my original ubolt there to make sure that it ends up being right bend lol)..............
Kejtar

Remi, get a caliper & measure up the tube diameter. Measure the thickness of your new spring pack + spring plate and the perch height off the top of the tube.

That's all you need to get them right. :D

vintagespeed said:
Bah Mark, they've got some really cool Red LED winshield washer squirters that'd look sweet on your rig!
:D

Mike said you had those on your rig already, and you bought the last set.

And I thought you would of given me BS about the shims.

mark
orgs mfg

Na, I ditched those for a sprinkler head with a disco ball on it. Much cooler out here in the 'hood.

Remi,

Long Beach Spring and Forge (they are in the Long Beach / Signal Hill phone book) will bend and thread u-bolts while you wait during the regular workday. Hilco Fastener may also lead you to a local source (have you memorized the phone number yet).

FWIW, you may want to prepare for the next chapter of "the Wrenching life of WWR". The 4WPW u-bolts are probably heavy-duty 5/8 diameter Superlift bolts. These will require larger holes drilled into the u-bolt plates (or new plates) and larger holes in the shock mounts (or new mounts). Your dremel will be inadequate for all of this, except the shock mount hole enlargement.

I have the correct Superlift part number for the D44 application at home (call me, unless this exercise is for the 8.25, because you will be doing all this again ... soon).

Update!!!!!!!!! I'm sitting with my A$$ high and front same :D

I have put in the RE pack and all seems good, although on the test drive I have been rediscovering every single noise (was that there before? I think so.... how about that? that sounds familiar as well..... LOL...... Anyways, not sure about the angles anymore, but that I will look into when things settle a bit.

The RE pack rides really firm but good. I had the opportunity to test it out already on some dirt with holes and pits (they are redoing my street about a 1/4 block away from my house and I blazed through it back and forth.....

Anyways, time will tell how things worked out, and yeah... it's Superlift bolts, but they are 1/2" :D Although they seem a wee bit tighter so I had to dremel out a bit of the plate so that the slight spread would go through :D

Kejtar

btw, I will be looking up Long Beach Spring and Forge tomorrow and make sure that I have their address number and hours for the future needs :)

I know you dont want to hear this right now,but youll find the rear to be quite stiff compared to the front.If you havent followed my ongoing lift(s),I just took this kit off mine.I had just gotten it to loosen up by adding 3/4" spacers in front w/+3/4" shackles in back,"Man What A Difference".

you're right.... I definately didn't wanna hear this LOL....... well I hope it droops somewhat ok... and I hope the gas charged shocks will help it to do so....

Back