• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Laser Vision Correction

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Tired of the freaken glasses & have been threatening to do this for a couple years. I've done a ton of research on this & think I know what I'm getting into, but a few questions for those that have had it done.

1) what procedure did you have?

2) How'd it turn out?

3) How's your night vision?

4) Recovery time?

5) What did you pay?

I found several different places in town, but 4 out of the 5 I looked into are running out of the same offices & are using the same equipment & are all priced the same.

One guy I looked at has been around the area for quite some time (heard his adds on the radio for years) & is substantialy cheaper. He's got his own equip. & offices seperate from the other bozo's. I'm a cheapskate, but don't want to cheapskate my eyeballs...

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Tired of the freaken glasses & have been threatening to do this for a couple years. I've done a ton of research on this & think I know what I'm getting into, but a few questions for those that have had it done.

1) what procedure did you have?

2) How'd it turn out?

3) How's your night vision?

4) Recovery time?

5) What did you pay?

I found several different places in town, but 4 out of the 5 I looked into are running out of the same offices & are using the same equipment & are all priced the same.

One guy I looked at has been around the area for quite some time (heard his adds on the radio for years) & is substantialy cheaper. He's got his own equip. & offices seperate from the other bozo's. I'm a cheapskate, but don't want to cheapskate my eyeballs...

Matt

1) what procedure did you have? Lasix

2) How'd it turn out? 20/20, 20/15

3) How's your night vision? Good my right eye took a while to get rid of a doubled ghost on lights at night

4) Recovery time? I was at the mall walking around 5 hours after I had it done and took a nap. It was AMAZING after 3 months I was 100% I would do it again in a second

5) What did you pay? 1500 for both eyes... Nationwide Vision

Wife had it done about 5 years ago.

1. Ladar- I believe.
2. Turned out great. 20/15 20/15
3. Night vision is fine.
4. Recovery time was a few days (if I remember right).
5. Cost was $1500.00 (I take care of the doc's airplane so he only charged half price :D).
The doc we used also teaches other docs how to do the procedure.

Wife has no regrets about having it done- totally happy with the procedure.

Last edited:
Additional question - what was your vision BEFORE you had the correction done? I've been considering this myself for a while, but my myopia has become rather severe. I've also got mild astigmatism, but that should be correctable (1.50-1.75 cylinder correction.)

5-90

I have heard (because I considered lasik) that your eyesight will eventually deteriorate.....before anyone jumps off a bridge.....the reason we have poor eyesight at a young(er) age is because the muscles in the eye fatigue and lose elasticity. So lasik or not, at 60 years old we could be right back in the same position.

I haven't done it yet and if someone has mo better information please post. Thats whats kept me from doing it.

I have had 3 friends get the laser done at a place in LaJolla California by the doc who does the Chargers players. All 3 of them worked out really well and it was fairly cheap...I think like 2600 total?? Recovered within a couple of days and all three are very happy with it. It is true that your eyes can get worse again later in life, but that can happen to anyone and I dont think the chances after surgery are any different than someone without it. Even then wouldnt you want to see well your whole life and then at 60 have poor vision again, or else have bad vision your whole life? You are fine if you get the surgery when your eyes stay at a consistent clarity level. My wife has been wanting the surgery for a while now but her eye sight keeps getting better...and then they get worse again?

Last edited:
merlintocherokee said:
I have heard (because I considered lasik) that your eyesight will eventually deteriorate.....before anyone jumps off a bridge.....the reason we have poor eyesight at a young(er) age is because the muscles in the eye fatigue and lose elasticity. So lasik or not, at 60 years old we could be right back in the same position.

I haven't done it yet and if someone has mo better information please post. Thats whats kept me from doing it.

It has nothing to do with the muscles in your eyes, rather the lens aren't focusing the light properly on the back of your eye. Your eyes constally change throughout your life, so there is a chance your vision will worsen with age (but that is pretty much everyone).

With Lasik, they cut your corena back and zap your stroma with pulses of laser. It changes the actual shape to refocus light.

5-90, your myopia isn't that bad. You sound like the perfect candidate for it. Ive seen people with as bad a -6.00 have it done.

Michaelarchangelo said:
5-90, your myopia isn't that bad. You sound like the perfect candidate for it. Ive seen people with as bad a -6.00 have it done.

Not to sound like a putz, but are you sure you're reading my post correctly? I posted my numbers for cylinder correction (astigmatism) - I didn't want to post my numbers for myopia - but I'll guarantee you they're stronger than -6!

5-90

FarmerMatt said:

1) what procedure did you have? Complete lens removal (pre lasik)

2) How'd it turn out? Went from legally blind to near 20/20

3) How's your night vision? used to be good, has gotten worse. Hyper-sensitive to lights.

4) Recovery time? 1 week per eye

5) What did you pay? Freebie. Was an experimental procedure done when i was in 3rd grade.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
1) what procedure did you have? Lasik

2) How'd it turn out? Went well, don't remember vision after but it was perfect.

3) How's your night vision? This is one of the main reasons I did it, because with my astigmatism my night vision sucked. I am now very happy with my night vision.

4) Recovery time? Quick. Saw well enough right away, some glare around lights at night for a short time.

5) What did you pay? $1200

Matt

I only did one eye. My bad eye was near sighted with an astigmatism. My good eye was 20/30 and it wasn't worth correcting. I can still see better than most, regularly reading stuff at work that others can't see.

I do have one complaint. Unfortunately, at my age :), I need reading glasses for the close stuff. Previously, my eye glasses had reading correction, and I had prescription sun glasses, so I put my glasses on in the morning and took them off at night and that was it. Fortunately, my eyes weren't that bad so I could still see to do most anything without glasses, even drive if I had to. Now, since the laser surgery can't correct the poor close vision due to aging, and since I now were regular sun glasses, and I'm always reading something, sitting at a work station, and going inside and outside all the time, I am always putting glasses on and taking them off. I carry reading glasses and sun glasses, have reading glasses stashed all over the place, can't work on anything without reading glasses, can't weld without reading glasses, can't read a menu without reading glasses, etc., etc.

Sometimes I wish that I could just put my glasses back on in the morning and forget about it. But, I do really like my night vision, and that alone is probably worth it.

5-90 said:
Not to sound like a putz, but are you sure you're reading my post correctly? I posted my numbers for cylinder correction (astigmatism) - I didn't want to post my numbers for myopia - but I'll guarantee you they're stronger than -6!

5-90

Doh! my bad! I thought those were the numbers for your myopia. Hmm, I dunno if they can do anything for you.

Do it I had it done 3 years ago and dont remember the all of the details but I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is the best. I do remember seeing and feeling fine in about 5 hrs. Just follow the docs orders and you wont be dissapointed. Im telling you I wore glasses or contacts since I was 5 what a pain. If mine ever get bad again I will do it again. Well worth any price but I think I paid around $2000.00 total for both.

There is also a new one out that uses sound to reshape the lense or cornea, no cutting no recovery time, instanatanous from what I have heard from people who have had it done.
I'm doing the reading glasses thing, started needing them about 3 years ago when I turned 51 and started having a hard time reading cheap CRT monitors or anything above 1280 resolution. Went out to dinner thursday nite and could not read the menu, glasses or no, the light was so dim, decided to start carrying my AAA mag light on my keychain again. Didn't feel too bad, nobody else could read it either..
I also ended up wih a magnafying hat brim type of thing for when I need to read motheboards and such, what a PIA... I used to be 20/20, sucks getting old...

I'm not looking at this option right now, but have you old fogeys looked into the "monovision" deal. They fix one eye for distance & the other for reading. Supposedly your brain gets used to it & switches from one eye dominence to the other depending on what you're doing (reading / driving). The only down side I've read about is that you may need glasses to correct the reading eye for night driving.

I'm going in next thurs. for a "consult" & to grill the doc. If I feel comfy they'll do it that same day...

GSequoia said:
So it's fianlly made you go blind, eh?

Probaly shoulda kept beej from posting all those ladies of his in the den...:D

FarmerMatt said:
I'm not looking at this option right now, but have you old fogeys looked into the "monovision" deal. They fix one eye for distance & the other for reading. Supposedly your brain gets used to it & switches from one eye dominence to the other depending on what you're doing (reading / driving).
Wouldn't that mess up your depth perception?

Back