• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

laid off and going back to school. Web Design?

jeeptree

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the hole story I got laid off just over 3 weeks ago and am going crazy. I know I could be doing more with my life then working in a shop so I have an interview at 9 tomorrow at Everest Institute for Computer Information Science – Web Design
I have been throwing the idea around for a long time. Its a basic 2yr course.
My basic question is for any one with time in the field of web designer. Let me know what are some of the ups and downs of choosing this career. What do you like and dislike about it. Is it a go time to be getting in to this field?:confused:
And be for you say it I know its not a good time for any field, Thank You Bush!!!!:worship:

I have done a lot in my time even been called the jack of all trades master of none. Being so I have played around with web design just never paid. I don't want to throw my time and money in to a Career that is not going to be beneficial to me and my family. I have a 2 year old and If I'm going to deprive her of time I want it to count.

Thank you all that reply.

Its not Bushes fault its been a bad time for designers for a while. I went to a Graphic Design school that did web or print design I went print but my roommate went web. No one we know from school has a job in either field. Too many schools picked up design programs and too many people are taking them. I graduated in 02 and in the following months only had one interview. It would have been paid 6.25 an hour and been an hour drive to work. I was then working at a grocery store deli within walking distance of my house and making 7.45/hr.

My roommate and several of our friends who all took web design all had similar stories. One kid who we thought was going to be something ended up a manager at a sheetz gas station.

I'm not trying to scare you away from it. I wish someone would have told me this before I went to school for it. The recruters told me that I would have job offers before we graduated then the closer it got to graduation time they started saying well within a few months then it was by next year, then it was maybe within two years you'll get your first job.

its a really bad time to get into anything ha, but! if you really want to do graphic design and love it you can still succeed. im only 19yrs old and i currently work for Burton Snowboards as a designer and just landed a 6 month contract with DC Shoe Company for their new Ad campain so theres still hope! just try to meet people and make some connects , get your name out there and u'll go far and if not hit me up haha and ill try to help you out once you get out of school

Back