• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Labor day wheeling trip 31st; Red Elephant/Mill creek/ Bill Moore

xjboy said:
Sounds like this is going to turn out to be a great day!

WhooHOO! :clap:

......... Yella's Truggy will just walk all over everything and make us look stock :)

I will take final role call on Saturday and plan whatever, I am bringing my little coleman dual burner stove and fry up some cheesy bratz, if someone wants to join me just say so.

Just me now, my co-pilot, my wife has her mother here and also she didn't think it was wise to take my little copilot (10 month old son) out for a little while until he can stop falling asleep in the middle of the trail and hold his head up better :) .........I think the tippy parts scared her, she does not like the off camber stuff, she gets out and walks...

Hypoid was talking throwing in a line at Bill Moore Lake, from what I remember you have to park down and walk a little to the lake. ...been six years since I was there.

...I need to get out more, like XJBoy said, finding a someone/group to go and also coordinating plans is the hardest part.

Skully said:
WhooHOO! :clap:

......... Yella's Truggy will just walk all over everything and make us look stock :)

I will take final role call on Saturday and plan whatever, I am bringing my little coleman dual burner stove and fry up some cheesy bratz, if someone wants to join me just say so.

Just me now, my co-pilot, my wife has her mother here and also she didn't think it was wise to take my little copilot (10 month old son) out for a little while until he can stop falling asleep in the middle of the trail and hold his head up better :) .........I think the tippy parts scared her, she does not like the off camber stuff, she gets out and walks...

Hypoid was talking throwing in a line at Bill Moore Lake, from what I remember you have to park down and walk a little to the lake. ...been six years since I was there.

...I need to get out more, like XJBoy said, finding a someone/group to go and also coordinating plans is the hardest part.
I camped up at Bill Moore last year and the water was way to shallow and had nothing in it at all. I could have walked across it. Doubt anything is there.
Speaking of Yellas Truggy and how we are going to look like nothing. What is everyone running?
I am running a soft 5in with 32's open diffs with 3.55s.

xjboy said:
I camped up at Bill Moore last year and the water was way to shallow and had nothing in it at all. I could have walked across it. Doubt anything is there.
Speaking of Yellas Truggy and how we are going to look like nothing. What is everyone running?
I am running a soft 5in with 32's open diffs with 3.55s.

You hear that Hypoid, maybe no fish? .......although that was last year......

As far as gear; I have a hybrid lift; RE 3.5 with extra isolators in front for 4"+, rear Rusty's 3.5 with Tera shackles for 5", D44 rear factory track lock, open front, 3.55's, 31' Trxus M/T's, Wench in front I have only used 4 times in a 5 year period on everyone else, (if I used it more my wife would get jealous.) Skids, rocker guards.......broken wind wing for better air flow.... :)

Last edited:
Alrighty then! Roll call!

Who is all going to meet tomorrow morning at the gas station/Starbucks @ the Downieville Exit #234 at 9am for Red Elephant/Mill Creek/ Bill Moore?

Also as mentioned before I am frying some JohnsonVille Cheesy Brats for lunch, and for that who wants to join and eat brats with me, I need to know so I can get enough brats? Who ever wants to join on the brats bring the chips :)

BYOD (Bring your own drinks)

I did a quick link about the directions to get there; (Thanks to Traildamage)
Driving Directions
From Denver take I-70 to exit 234 at Downieville.

Turn right at the bottom of the exit, then left again to run alongside the highway on the frontage road.

Travel west to cross under I-70 and past the entrance to Spring Creek. Keep going until you cross under I-70 again and turn right on a dirt road immediately after going under the highway (only a few feet from the highway).
Meeting Places
Meet at the Starbucks next to the gas station at Downieville, exit 234 off of I-70.

Last edited:
Still looking good. I haven't touched the Truggy yet, but hopfully I can come up with a breather bolt for the 9"...... might have to make one. :dunno:

Put me down for a couple brats Skully - Thanks! :thumbup: I can bring chips and cookies.

My cell is 720-879-1399. There's always the possibility I may be a touch late to make the 9am meeting...... I'm not a morning person! :D So if you don't see me there, call.

I'm out on this one.

Take lots of pictures for me. I'd like to see how bad it really is in the daylight, when you are going uphill.

I think my wife's station wagon could make it unscathed.

I'm in! My wife is working tomorrow, so I'm puppy setting. I had to take our puppy on a trail today to see if he could handle it. After an hour or so on the trail today, he curled up an went to sleep. I'll have to feed him around noon or he'll get crazy.(Jumping and biting) I may also have to stop suddenly for a potty break. I hope that's not a problem.

The Truggy is on the trailer. See you guys up there!

RangerRick said:
I'm in! My wife is working tomorrow, so I'm puppy setting. I had to take our puppy on a trail today to see if he could handle it. After an hour or so on the trail today, he curled up an went to sleep. I'll have to feed him around noon or he'll get crazy.(Jumping and biting) I may also have to stop suddenly for a potty break. I hope that's not a problem.
COOL! (Ranger you didn't mention if you want to partake in the brats fest? I will just count you in at 2 in case.)

So far;

Skully (Possibly my dad running shotgun)
YellaHeep (With chips & Cookies :D )
Ranger Rick (With best friend riding shotgun)
XJBoy (Buddy running shotgun)

Anyone else that didn't reply yet and still planning on going just show up there at the starbucks/Gas Station off of Exit #234 around 9-9:30am. I will check one more time before I leave in the morning. I will make sure we have some extra brats just in case.

Had an interesting night, last minute shakedown/system check discovered my ujoint was bad and did a marathon swap on my passenger side axle shaft. (The ones I got from Yella monttttths ago :roll: I'm lazy.....) had to go rent a slide hammer to get the stubborn hub assembly off!!!

I just realized I have two bottles of propane for the coleman and both feel half full, anybody got a bottle laying around bring it just in case. I will check King Soopers, on my way to get the brats!

Last edited:
I REALLY wish i could go:( i bet my xj would make it...just need a battery and i cant over draw my account just to get it either

Sure I'll take 2 brats, thanks. I'm bring some coffee cake to share in the morning. I'll be there early to walk the dog.

Rick

I jus got home :tears: Boss wouldnt let me go early. AND I have to pull a double tomorrow.... ON LABOR DAY.:bawl: I am over this job completely.

XJNOOB93 said:
I jus got home :tears: Boss wouldnt let me go early. AND I have to pull a double tomorrow.... ON LABOR DAY.:bawl: I am over this job completely.

its okay i gotta work in an hour and i will probably have to work tomorrow also...8 straight days of closing is killin me:cry:

It was a good trip. Other than the trail not being marked very well to keep us off the goofy spur roads (that in many cases looked more traveled than the correct route..... ) it's a cool trail that most rigs with 3" lift and a rear locker would find challenging fairly frequently.

The Empire Hotel is......... well....... interesting to say the least. How that place doesn't get moldy/mildewy and generally gross is beyond me. People just pile up the clothing, blankets, pillows, food, and whatnot...... Kinda cool to read a few entries in the guest books though.

Rain set in about 1:30 or so and was fairly constant the rest of the day. It really came down as we got off the trail........ the drive from Empire to Downieville was pretty wet in the Truggy. I believe XJBoy will be posting some interesting pics of some 30' rooster tails of road water from the Truggy tires.... :D

Thanks again Matt for the brat-fry! YUM! :thumbup:

YELLAHEEP said:
It was a good trip. Other than the trail not being marked very well to keep us off the goofy spur roads (that in many cases looked more traveled than the correct route..... ) it's a cool trail that most rigs with 3" lift and a rear locker would find challenging fairly frequently.

The Empire Hotel is......... well....... interesting to say the least. How that place doesn't get moldy/mildewy and generally gross is beyond me. People just pile up the clothing, blankets, pillows, food, and whatnot...... Kinda cool to read a few entries in the guest books though.

Rain set in about 1:30 or so and was fairly constant the rest of the day. It really came down as we got off the trail........ the drive from Empire to Downieville was pretty wet in the Truggy. I believe XJBoy will be posting some interesting pics of some 30' rooster tails of road water from the Truggy tires.... :D

Thanks again Matt for the brat-fry! YUM! :thumbup:
Yes it was a good day everyone and like matt said TROY you were wearing a tuxedu at taco bell I will post pics on wednesday when I am at work I dont have internet at home.

xjboy said:
Yes it was a good day everyone and like matt said TROY you were wearing a tuxedu at taco bell I will post pics on Wednesday when I am at work I dont have internet at home.

LOL.....Yella went over everything pretty easy until it rained.

Then it got a little muddy and slick in spots, gave him some inkling of a challenge, okay maybe one spot. The rutted out area with the roots of the tree sticking out that I caught him briefly spinning all four of the Truggy's tires.

It was definitely a lot of fun and glad to have the great company;Yellaheep, XJboy, Ty, Rangerick, and his poor puppy which for the life of me do not remember his name! Thanks again guys!
party1:

....I remember now since it has been 6 years ago about all the silly intersections and dead ends that have no markings........imagine running it at night?

........Red Elephant was definately fun and something new I had not tried there yet.

Need to upgrade my factory Trac lock for an aussie/detroit.........

Yellaheep thanks for bringing the chips (after you forgot them) and the cookies.

.....we need to get Yellaheep some WD-40 for all those damn squeaks and creeks! :shhh: ....he scared away all the animals!!! :confused1

Last edited:
Forget the WD-40....... get xjboy some internet at home! Where's he live? A Sherpa Temple in the Andes? WTF?

I wanna see rooster tails! :D

i wanna know do you guys think my stock xj could make these trails? cause i wanna go test out my new jeep on the trails before i get a lift...?

Back