• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers! Who wants to go?!

From past experience with many long hour tows on borrowed trailers I've got to where I get a set of wheel bearings for the trailer and a tub of synthetic grease. If I don't end up needing them for a trip then that is great I take them back to NAPA or the auto spring and bearing and they give me my money back. Pop and I got stuck on the beltway outside of new york city one time in the middle of the hood because of this on a saturday night and were stuck until Monday morning.

Lesson learned there, it's worth me putting down the 40 bucks to get it back in case I do not use them. Never again will I sit beside the highway wondering if I'm going to get shot.

Best of luck with the trip!

Im pretty sure the bearings are all good. Im going to jack up the trailer tomorrow and check all of them out and grease them all again just to be sure. I will also check the free play in them and make sure they aren't too loose. I discovered today that the breakaway wiring is jacked... the battery charge circuit wasn't hooked up, so it only had like 2 volts when I checked it. Also, the battery was unplugged for some reason??? After charging the battery on a trickle charger, I hooked everything back up, and the battery held a charge for a while (way longer than it needs to in an emergency situation), but the brakes don't come on when the switch is pulled, plus, for some reason the right side brake lights come on when its hooked up, even with the pin in the switch. Tomorrow's project: rewire the whole system and get that working.

Today Betty got her bath and is pretty much cleaned up. I still have a few things to clean but not too much. I also need to weld up the small leaks in the plug welds on the rear axle (long story as to why they leak), change one heim, straighten the rear lower links, and do some more touch up painting before the trip. All in all, not too bad. Should easily be able to get all that done with plenty of time to spare.

Got the RAM's shoes rotated/balanced and swapped the tire with some sidewall damage to the spare also checked all the pads looking good there prob need some around 30-35k. Now if it will stop raining on me I can get the tent off of it. 9am Tues I'll be heading to Jasper to get the oil&filter/fuel filter changed and the HVAC recall taken care of here is hoping I don't need any duct doors replaced and its just a simple computer upgrade 4hrs and talking the dash apart is not something I want to be stuck at the dealer for :(

1173789758_VkWe7-M.jpg

Also hope the storm system gets outta the mid-west before we go, don't need the RAM looking like this :scared:

1173807080_GqUw7-M.jpg

Also hope the storm system gets outta the mid-west before we go, don't need the RAM looking like this :scared:

1173807080_GqUw7-M.jpg

Better Yet, I've spent the last 2 days just CLEANING the jeep, doing some touch up painting, etc... I don't need an open topped, windshieldless Betty looking like that! haha

Trailer is now 100% done other than inspecting the wheel bearings... All non working lights were replaced today, and I basically rewired the trailer to make the breakaway system work. Whoever messed with it before had no idea what they were doing.

Gah... just keep thinking of things I need to do before the trip and time is running slim. Tomorrow I have to replace the rear ring and pinion in Betty, I inspected it today and it doesn't look all that great, so rather than take the chance, Im just going to replace it.

Well, Betty can give a blow now...

As in, the On Board Air is now up and functioning! If need any air tools at all, we now have a system with an unlimited supply of air to help us out!

On a side note, I've been watching the weather for the weekend across the country along I-40 and there is not really any chance of bad weather right now. Most places the highs are in the 50s (except through Texas) and no more that 20% chance of precipitation.

You guys better bring some spare parts. Sure would be a shame to break and not get to wheel after going all that way.

Well, I'll be taking a spare ring and pinion, but that's about it. Maybe take my spare rear driveshaft or a u-joint or two. We don't have a lot of room for spare parts, and honestly, you never really know what you are gonna need. I will take what I have on hand, but Im not going to buy spare parts to take. If I need something, 4wp can have it to the event next day. If I break, I'll worry about it then.

i hope this trip is going to be well documented. i expect a full write up!

Hooray for the internet!!! I'm connected!!!

We are packed and ready, it will be a trip to remember.

Stump, I wish you were going to bro, I'll have to drink your share of the Bourbon.

Have fun guys sorry I couldn't commit and go with you! I need vacation days so I can wheel with you at Harlan anyways! :D

So how's it going guys?

I know they made it there Monday afternoon.

All I know is I got a text from Tyler saying that it was awesome. I'm not sure if any of them are equipped to check in on the forum.

I heard they got all warm and snuggly last night.

Who all went besides Tyler and TIm? Is KOH getting any tv coverage yet?

Tyler, Tim, Mark, Latney, and Tyler's dad made up the 5 man crew.

Got a text from Mark. Tent and E-Z Up blew away last night and they slept in the truck.

"Where's your hand"

"Between two pillows"

"Those aren't pillows!"

LMAO!

Tyler, Tim, Mark, Latney, and Tyler's dad made up the 5 man crew.

Got a text from Mark. Tent and E-Z Up blew away last night and they slept in the truck.

"Where's your hand"

"Between two pillows"

"Those aren't pillows!"

hmmm thought that might happen

Back