• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got the Coleman rack today...

philip_g said:
man if you ever get rear ended I bet that tire goes flying lol

you mean mine? how do you figure? ever seen the Yakima tire carrier and the way it mounts? the whole rack is gonna have to fly off.

Beast

I got the rack but need gutter mounts. FYI found prolineracks had a generic GMR-165 rack that accepts Thule components for $50 + $12 shipping. I asked and the were willing to package three bars and mounts for $75 = $12 shipping.

philip_g said:
and that's exactly what will happen.

For that to happen, it would have to rip all the crossbars out of the rails and if that happens he would probably have been hit so hard that he will have more to worry about than the tire flying off. My tire is just straped to the rack so any forward force on the tire will not pull on the crossbars, only on the rack...not that I am worried about my tire flying off...

BruceB83 said:
For that to happen, it would have to rip all the crossbars out of the rails and if that happens he would probably have been hit so hard that he will have more to worry about than the tire flying off. My tire is just straped to the rack so any forward force on the tire will not pull on the crossbars, only on the rack...not that I am worried about my tire flying off...

good luck with that. The OE cross bars aren't very secure in the channel.

philip_g said:
and that's exactly what will happen.

well, thanks for the concerned input...but, I'll have to agree with Bruce... if i'm hit hard enough to give momentum to the weight of the tire on the rack (with no slack mind you) that it rips the crossbars clean off their mounts... the tire is the LEAST of my worries.

Beast

Don't really need luck but thanks anyways! I can stand on my tire, grab the rack, and shake the entire jeep back and forth with it....it's not going anywhere. I'm not sure what you haul on your roof rack (elephants maybe???) but the stuff I put up there isn't going to cause my rack to fail and until it does, you're wrong. But thanks for the unnecessary negative comments on it!

Are you just jealous because we got one before the price went up to $200??? :D

It's ok philip...that was a joke...see the big grining smily face??? I agree, I wouldn't have paid more than what I did for it but, like sketch, with the extensions I put in I think it's a pretty decent rack for what I have in it.

Like I said, if I have any problems with it, then fine, I build a new rack but UNTIL THEN....IT WORKS GREAT!!! You sure are being pretty harsh towards it...did it call you names? Are you hurt by it? Leave it be dude, let those who like the rack for what they use it for enjoy it. Nobody is making you use it.

philip_g said:
why don't you scroll back about 4 pages, I got mine at $59 shipped. Thank god, because that's about what it's worth.

So, if I may ask...to what extent do you plan to use your rack for? Likely not for the tire unless you are gonna use aftermarked crossbars.

I do plan on getting extra clamps for the other two crossbars I added when I put in the extention, that will spread the weight load out to 8 points instead of 4.

But for now it holds the tire (intended purpose) and will be emergency storage space if needed.

Beast

Beast XJ01 said:
So, if I may ask...to what extent do you plan to use your rack for? Likely not for the tire unless you are gonna use aftermarked crossbars.

I do plan on getting extra clamps for the other two crossbars I added when I put in the extention, that will spread the weight load out to 8 points instead of 4.

But for now it holds the tire (intended purpose) and will be emergency storage space if needed.

Beast

I wanted to mount a tire to it but don't think it's sturdy enough, I mostly just want it to toss camping gear in since I'm running out of room in the rig.

finally installed the rack extension *PICS*

I still need to get a couple more mounts or maybe a couple locking mounts to put on the second crossbar for added support. The yakima tire carrier is actually supported by the third cross bar.

I now have room to throw things up top besides the tire if I need to.

So, here are the pics!

rack-ext1.jpg

rack-ext2.jpg

rack-ext3.jpg

rack-ext4.jpg

I did have to turn the first crossmember around to get it further forward on the rails, to get it to line up without having to drill new stop holes.

I think it looks good, and I actually got a complement from a guy at work.

Beast

so i missed the band wagon when everyone and there brother ordered one of these for pretty darn cheap.

i have been searching for the past couple days, and is the conclusion that they dont make these racks anymore?

if so, i am going to have to release my anger out on the computer screen in front of me.............jk

I thought you could still find them but they were much more expensive now...???

So did you free the beast on your computer screen yet??? Haha!

Re: finally installed the rack extension *PICS*

Beast XJ01 said:
I still need to get a couple more mounts or maybe a couple locking mounts to put on the second crossbar for added support. The yakima tire carrier is actually supported by the third cross bar.

I now have room to throw things up top besides the tire if I need to.

So, here are the pics!

rack-ext1.jpg

rack-ext2.jpg

rack-ext3.jpg

rack-ext4.jpg

I did have to turn the first crossmember around to get it further forward on the rails, to get it to line up without having to drill new stop holes.

I think it looks good, and I actually got a complement from a guy at work.

Beast
is that a homebrew rack extention or the one made by THULE?

Back