• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought my first XJ - what items should I check, not knowing maintanence history?

What is the 'death wobble'?

When steering and/or front suspension components wear out or are modified incorrectly, they can cause a very unwieldy and scary and sometimes dangerous condition known as death wobble...

The front tires wobble uncontrollably with the steering wheel shaking somewhat violently back and forth that makes you feel as if you no longer have any control.

Most XJs with death wobble experience this at speeds around 15-20 MPH or higher (as high as freeway speeds), usually brought on by hitting a good size bump or pothole in the road.

It's a little different for everyone, but you will know it if it happens.... It can *usually* be stopped by slowing down to a crawl and/or stomping on the brakes.

Like I said, each case is kind of unique. But if it happens then it needs to be diagnosed and fixed ASAP.

And it doesn't happen only in XJs... Most lifted Jeeps of any body style can get death wobble. I had a 72 Bronco that that had horrible death wobble...

Test NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) by starting it a few times after wiggling shifter.
Should start every time. (When NSS breaks, it won't start in park, only Neutral) actually false, if the nss starts to fail, it can also not start in neautral
actually false, if the nss starts to fail, it can also not start in neautral

Not necessarily. When mine started to go, it would not start in park sometimes, but would always start in neutral. Helped me to catch it before I got stranded. Cleaned it up and now it's peachy.
To the OP, a dirty or worn NSS is a fairly common issue, but an easy fix. Don't worry about it unless you notice it won't start in park and/or neutral or your reverse lights inexplicably stop working.

Century, if you want a larger list of things to research, or be aware of, here are some popular XJ maintenance tasks to consider...

Bimmer, I can appreciate that you are trying to help people out, but much like your previous posts in newbie threads, most of this list is not specific to XJ's. All of the issues that you've mentioned are true of buying ANY used car, especially one guaranteed to be at least 12 years old. The OP has stated that he has previously worked on/restored cars (you know...with engines and such), so i think it is a reasonable assumption that he knows the importance a coolant flush.

Remember that this is an XJ Forum, and the OP specifically asked for trouble spots related to JEEP XJ CHEROKEES.

Bimmer, I can appreciate that you are trying to help people out, but much like your previous posts in newbie threads, most of this list is not specific to XJ's. All of the issues that you've mentioned are true of buying ANY used car, especially one guaranteed to be at least 12 years old. The OP has stated that he has previously worked on/restored cars (you know...with engines and such), so i think it is a reasonable assumption that he knows the importance a coolant flush.

Remember that this is an XJ Forum, and the OP specifically asked for trouble spots related to JEEP XJ CHEROKEES.

LOL, let's READ what the OP actually said:

Since I am new to the world of the Cherokee and not used to the 4WD stuff, and unsure of it's previous maintenance history, could you guys give me a few pointers on what things to check or service?

Obviously the oil & filter. Air filter. What else?

Oh, look at that, he wanted ideas beyond and oil change and an new air filter. How about that?
Choice A is a treatise on XJ transfer case minutia. Talk about putting the cart before the horse, and missing the entire point.
Choice B is my checklist which was was a perfectly appropriate (and one of the best) responses to "What do I do besides oil and air filter?"
It is painfully obvious which was the more helpful response.

Last edited:
I understand there is some history here between members, but I don't want to get everybody arguing due to my post. Everybody has been very helpful and I appreciate that.

I have some experience working on cars - I've changed out fuel pumps, radiators, a transmission, starters, done brakes, u-joints, etc. So I do know the basics. I was trying to get more XJ specific hints, esp to do with things I have never even seen before (multiple differentials, transfer case, etc). Thanks to a lot of these answers, I've learned quite a bit.

That said, had I read Bimmer's list before I bought the car, I would have been a little more aware of a few trouble spots and the fact that they are common on this model. A lot of those things on the list are generalized for any car buying, but a lot applied to this: sagging drivers door, weak hydraulic supports on the hatch, etc.

At any rate, I appreciate all comments - thanks to you all for helping.

Not necessarily. When mine started to go, it would not start in park sometimes, but would always start in neutral. Helped me to catch it before I got stranded. Cleaned it up and now it's peachy.
To the OP, a dirty or worn NSS is a fairly common issue, but an easy fix. Don't worry about it unless you notice it won't start in park and/or neutral or your reverse lights inexplicably stop working.

thats why i said also lol happened in my 96 oldsmobile cutlass, the nss went out without warning and coulndt start it in neutral or park. had to manually start iut by way of screw driver to the starter lol not recommended but if its stranded and not at my place ill ghetto it lol

Also, and possibly most importantly, what do you want to do with it? Is this a toy, a DD, family wagon, mix? Are you wanting to mod and upgrade, or keep stock and take camping. That will determine most of all where your time and money goes.

Pre-post edit: I kinda see that's going off-topic a tad since you are really just asking about initial checks and assessments, but it's definitely worth considering.

Also, and possibly most importantly, what do you want to do with it? Is this a toy, a DD, family wagon, mix? Are you wanting to mod and upgrade, or keep stock and take camping. That will determine most of all where your time and money goes.

Pre-post edit: I kinda see that's going off-topic a tad since you are really just asking about initial checks and assessments, but it's definitely worth considering.

Absolutely, a great question. It's one I've been considering since buying it Saturday and especially since joining this forum Sunday night.

Initially, it was this: I wanted a 2nd car for backup transportation. I had a Mercury Mountaineer and a Dodge Ram Pickup but the pickup's engine is out so I'm selling it off. I was looking at various trucks/SUVs, and saw this XJ on Craigslist. I initially only wanting backup transportation and getting the XJ because it was cheap ($1800).

Also, I liked the idea of having off-road / 4WD capability for bad weather or emergency use (think the Rita evacuation where people were sitting for up to 24 hours in traffic jams, because they couldn't get off the blacktop and drive around).

I'm also interested in camping trip options. I've done some backpacking trips in remote desert areas in the last 2 years, some of which was difficult to access. I would love to have the capability to get to some of those places and do more of that in the future.

I don't know where to start yet, other than reading here. I don't have much money, and because I live in a townhouse apartment community that doesn't allow working on cars, DIY work is difficult. That said I've managed to do quite a bit on my other cars.

The immediate issue is gaining trust in this XJ, as to it being something I would trust on a trip. It has some miles on it, and I haven't gotten to do any maintenance on it yet (changing fluids out, etc). I'm fixing little things here and there and getting used to the car. Yesterday it started having a 'popping' sound in the front left when I turn that direction. The oil leak (rear main maybe?) concerns me. Inside the DS coil there is what appears to be a 'stop' or something similar - a tube, with a metal piece protruding. On the PS the same tube has no metal piece protruding from inside of it. I need to figure out what it is, and why it's missing. Things like that.

BTW, here it is:

8472073484_ae71418860_z.jpg

Century,
I agree with your plan. You're on a tight budget, and are limited in your DIY garage capability, so just gain trust in the XJ. Drive it for a while, and see if it feels like a keeper.

You're smart in focusing on making is mechanically sound before you start getting into frills like lifting, tires, wheels, etc.
As you know, that stuff does you no good when broken down on the side of the road.
Address immediate issues like the oil leak.
My post #19 was the right place to start.

Oh, if that sagging rear liftgate is bothering you, here's a pair for $30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/StrongArm-4...Supports-Tailgate-Hatch-Struts-/230926273043?

Back