• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought my first XJ - what items should I check, not knowing maintanence history?

centuryhouse

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, new to the forum and new to Jeeps entirely. My other cars have been classic Mustangs, 73 Ford pickup, 00 Mountaineer, 87 Montero, 00/01 Dodge Ram 1500. I felt like I was in an alien world after crawling under the XJ ;-)

I got it yesterday for $1800: 2000 Cherokee Sport XJ 4.0l inline 6, automatic, 4x4. It has 186,000 miles but starts quickly, seems to run great, everything seems fine except for a few common items: slightly sagging driver door, sagging headliner, missing a fan shroud up front, and a little oil leaking (looks like rear main).

Since I am new to the world of the Cherokee and not used to the 4WD stuff, and unsure of it's previous maintenance history, could you guys give me a few pointers on what things to check or service? I don't have much money but want to do what I can.

Obviously the oil & filter. Air filter. What else?

When I get a new to me ride, I clean them up underneath and the engine bay. check that everything has oil/fluid. Then drive it for a couple weeks checking for leaks anywhere. Then start changing fluids, oil/filter, brake/clutch fluid, trans, transfer case, diffs, coolant and flush, blinker fluid, grease all fittings and tuneup.

Change every single fluid, replace thermostat with Mopar 195 degree, replace all coolant hoses if they look to be original, install fresh NGK copper plugs gapped to .035. And don't forget to inspect/replace the serpentine belt as necessary.

And you also need to educate yourself about the 0331 cylinder head. It is the factory head for the 2000-2001 XJ and it has a casting defect between cylinders 3-4, which can (not always) lead to cracking. Keep you cooling system in top notch order as an engine overheat virtually guarantees you of a crack. Keep a close eye on the coolant level in the reservoir as unexplained coolant loss is a very common symptom of a cracked head.

Last edited:
Not necessarily problems, but it will be helpful to determine which axles you have, as well as which transfer case, especially if you plan on modifying.
Other people here may be able to correct me just based on the year/powertrain package you have, as I don't know all the combinations yet.

Not necessarily problems, but it will be helpful to determine which axles you have, as well as which transfer case, especially if you plan on modifying.
Other people here may be able to correct me just based on the year/powertrain package you have, as I don't know all the combinations yet.

I'm not used to cars with 4WD & transfer cases etc. How do you tell which axles you have, which transfer case, etc?

Heck, I still need to find any owners manual so I can figure out WHAT a transfer case is, and where ;-)

I know about typical fluid levels etc.: oil, radiator fluid, transmission fluid. I'm not familiar with changing differential fluids, or any other type that the XJ might have. I'll be reading a lot on this forum, I can tell.

BTW - why the rec on replacing the thermostat, are they a common fail point? As to the 0331 cylinder head, I could do without that problem occuring. I just bought this Xj after my Dodge Ram 1500 blew a head gasket. It's no fun to find chocolate milk on the dipstick, and notice the radiator coolant is low ;-)

Last edited:
BTW - why the rec on replacing the thermostat...

Being as you don't know the history of the vehicle, and you most assuredly have the 0331 head, putting a new T-stat in is cheap insurance. And most around here agree that the Mopar T-stat is the best (read trouble free) you can buy...

Also this might help you figure out which axles you have...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249

Oh, and don't listen to ANYTHING "bimmerjeeper" has to say...

The transfer case is essentially an additional gearbox behind the transmission that controls where the power goes (RWD or 4WD, and provides additional reduction when low range is selected. http://www.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive2.htm. For the Cherokee, if your transfer case has both 4wd Part Time and 4wd Full Time, you have an NP242, also referred to as Selec-Trac.
If you only have 4wd Part Time, you have an NP231, also referred to as Command-Trac.
Google searches should reveal the difference between the two.

Obtain your Owner's Manual, as you stated. But, also get a genuine Factory Service Manual. There are several sources for the manual, such as the Mopar website. Expensive? Yes, but I've seen FSM's on ebay for more $. Study the Owner's Manual from cover to cover, and when you get your FSM, study it as well. They make for good reading. :read: Haynes and Chilton manuals have their merits but you cannot go by everything in those books.

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Surf the Jeep forums for tips on how to maintain your Jeep Cherokee.

Use Google to search for topics you're interested in. Sometimes the search engine on this site can be difficult. When you do a Google search add ",NAXJA" at the end of the search terms. This will eliminate alot of the BS answers you don't need.

As for transfer cases, there's only two types you'll find on a 2000 Cherokee, the NP/NV231 or NP/NV242. The servicing of these transfer cases are the same. If you have problems and need to ask a question here you'll need to state which TC you have. At this point don't sweat it.

Replacement parts: Always try to get MOPAR replacement parts (like sensors) from your Chrysler dealer (if you can afford it). Aftermarket parts are nearly all junk...but not all.

Have fun.

welcome!

Nice to see another Dallas member here. Checkout the Red River Chapter, thats your local chapter. Myself and a few others are always willing to help wrench and diagnose.

Everyone has basically already stated what needs to be done.
As far as the oil leak goes, definitely clean it up. I would start with the valve cover, as that can appear as a RMS oil leak. Replace that, clean up the back of the engine really well, and drive it to see if the leak is still there.
Most of the time I pick up carquest, Napa/Bosch sensors, rod ends and filters, etc.

if your transfer case has both 4wd Part Time and 4wd Full Time, you have an NP242, also referred to as Selec-Trac.
If you only have 4wd Part Time, you have an NP231, also referred to as Command-Trac.

When I put it into either 4WD hi or low, a 'part time' light comes on in the instrument panel. Typical driving is the 2WD. I would assume from that, that I have the NP231 / Command-Trac. Sound right?

Thanks for everybody btw, I'm reading all responses if not replying to all of them.

When I put it into either 4WD hi or low, a 'part time' light comes on in the instrument panel. Typical driving is the 2WD. I would assume from that, that I have the NP231 / Command-Trac. Sound right?

Thanks for everybody btw, I'm reading all responses if not replying to all of them.

Correct.

You can check your glove box to see if you got lucky and ended up with a limited slip rear differential. If you have LSD there will be a sticker in there about running the right size tire in the rear, etc.

Century, I am new to XJ's, but here are some things you can check on your XJ.
Might give you some ideas on what to fix, in case you didn't notice a few gremlins yet.

• Body
  • Check for rust.
  • Inspect exhaust. Listen for holes in exhaust
  • Check the tires for dry rot and low tread.
  • Check the steel wheels for surface rust.
  • Check saggy Rear Liftgate Struts. ($30 to replace)
  • Driver’s door check pin and bracket (door popping)
  • Do all doors seal properly? Aligned?
  • Check entire suspension (Trackbar, control arms, Front Lower Steering Stabilizer, FrontSway Bar Bushings and End Links)
  • Inspect hubs and u-joints for play. (if you can jack it up)

Engine
  • Test hood release cable
  • Check battery and cables for corrosion.
  • Oil leak: Check for valve cover gasket leak
  • Oil leak: Check for oil filter adapter gasket leak.
  • Oil leak: Check for Rear Main Seal leak.
  • Check for cracked exhaust manifold.
  • Check if coolant is green. Brown is bad.
  • Start engine with radiator cap off, and make sure no bubbles in coolant.
  • Inspect serpentine belt.
  • Check the oil level.
  • Check freeze plugs for leaks.

Interior
  • Test ALL windows, lock, switches, heater controls, etc.
    (They break. Test ALL of them. Test each passenger door lock and window switch.)
  • Check Rattling 4WD shifter
  • Test front wiper and washer
  • Test rear wiper and washer
  • Test horn (means broken clockspring)
  • Test ALL headlights, blinkers, interior bulbs.
  • Verify fuel gauge works
  • Check for ant dashboard engine lights. Airbag light.
  • Test radio, and test each speaker. The speaker wires crack.
  • Test A/C. Cold?
  • Test heater for heat (clogged heater core, bad thermostat)
  • Test heater vents on ALL settings! (busted vacuum line)
  • Test fan on all speeds: busted setting 1-3 indicates blower motor resistor pack
  • Test NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) by starting it a few times after wiggling shifter.
    Should start every time. (When NSS breaks, it won't start in park, only Neutral)

Driving
  • Does tranny clunk into gear?
  • Test reverse
  • Make sure it idles smoothly.
  • Test if 4WD works.
  • Test brakes.
  • Test alignment (let go of wheel and see if it drives straight)
  • Test cruise control (means broken clockspring ...or broken vacuum ball under front bumper)
  • Get to highway speed and test for wobble.
  • Sharp turns. Any clunks or pops from the suspension?

Last edited:
Century, if you want a larger list of things to research, or be aware of, here are some popular XJ maintenance tasks to consider.
Of course, everyone's personal situation differs: time, budget, and goals.
You might intend to just drive your XJ as is.....or you might intend to restore it and try to make it run like new.
Either way, this list might help you think of items you didn't think of yet, which is what you asked for in your post.

Good luck with the new XJ !!

Service items
  • All fluids: Oil, coolant, differential, transfer case, transmission, power steering, brakes.
  • Cooling system: Radiator, cap, water pump, thermostat, all hoses, Fan clutch
  • Flush cooling system
  • Replace distributor, plugs, wires, coil.
  • Clean Throttle body
  • Battery
  • Battery Cables
  • New brakes/rotors.
  • New front and rear wipers
  • Serpentine belt
  • Air filter
  • O2 sensor
  • Valve Cover Gasket (leak) and 2 PCV valves
  • Oil filter adapter (leak)
  • 4 new shocks
  • Tranny mounts
  • Motor mounts
  • Seal rust (floorpans, doors, rockers, etc)

Things to inspect
  • Replace tires?
  • Replace Clockspring? (airbag light, no horn, no cruise control)
  • Any burnt out bulbs?
  • Check exhaust (muffler and catalytic converter)
  • Cracked Exhaust Manifold?
  • Any cracked vacuum lines?
  • Secure rattling 4WD shifter?
  • Driver’s door check pin and bracket (popping door?)
  • Fix all windows (motor, bypass lock switch)?
  • Flush clogged radiator core?
  • Hood Release Cable?
  • Replace Rear Liftgate Struts?
  • Replace worn suspension (Front Lower Steering Stabilizer, Front SwayBar Bushings and End Links)
  • Replace worn U-joints
  • Replace worn Wheel bearings
  • Squeaky steeering wheel? Lube Steering Column Boot (from inside)

Optional service items before they die on you
  • Alternator
  • CPS/CKP sensor
  • Replace TPS (throttle position sensor)
  • Replace IAC/ICV (idle control valve/motor)
  • Starter
  • Fuel pump and filter
  • Temperature sending units (2)

Optional upgrades
  • Headlight harness upgrade
  • New Headlights
  • Transmission cooler
  • Replace center console
  • Replace carpet
  • Replace seats

Last edited:
Century, I am new to XJ's, but here are some things you can check on your XJ.
Might give you some ideas on what to fix, in case you didn't notice a few gremlins yet.

• Body
  • Check for rust.
  • Check entire suspension (Trackbar, control arms, and End Links)
  • Inspect hubs and u-joints for play.

Engine
  • Check battery and cables for corrosion.
  • Oil leak: Check for valve cover gasket leak
  • Oil leak: Check for oil filter adapter gasket leak.
  • Oil leak: Check for Rear Main Seal leak.
  • Check for cracked exhaust manifold.
  • Inspect serpentine belt.
  • Check the oil level.

Interior
  • Test ALL windows, lock, switches, heater controls, etc.
    (They break. Test ALL of them. Test each passenger door lock and window switch.)
  • Test front wiper
  • Test rear wiper- the only to check with this is if the wire to it has corroded, can possiby cause fire
  • Test horn (means broken clockspring)
  • Test ALL headlights, blinkers,
  • Verify fuel gauge works
  • Check for ant dashboard engine lights. Airbag light.
  • Test NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) by starting it a few times after wiggling shifter.
    Should start every time. (When NSS breaks, it won't start in park, only Neutral) actually false, if the nss starts to fail, it can also not start in neautral

Driving
  • Does tranny clunk into gear?
  • Test reverse
  • Make sure it idles smoothly.
  • Test if 4WD works.
  • Test brakes.
  • Test alignment (let go of wheel and see if it drives straight))
  • Get to speed and test for wobble. get to 30mph-40mph for death wobble,
  • Sharp turns. Any clunks or pops from the suspension?

this is a more appropriated list, everything else is more a want than need.

and bimmerjeep, you're the only one who seems to have issues jacking up a vehicle lol no need to confuse others

Back