• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another XJBuggy

Looks good Justin! I think you forgot the radiator and hose?

Looks good Justin! I think you forgot the radiator and hose?

Its mounted in the rear :D

Didn't get the radiator and hoses hooked up for the quick dry run since It wasn't going to over heat with the 20 or so second run time.

I guess I'll throw out another long overdue update:

So here's how the fuel cell plumbing turned out...
IMAG0312.jpg

So one reason for a lack of updates...I've been moving into a new place over the last month - month and a half. As well...my commute went from ~70miles round trip...now its ~120 miles round trip, so needless to say i've lost a little more time during the week :shaking:

On the trailer getting moved into the new place:
IMAG0315.jpg

Rolled into the new garage:
IMAG0344.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Now there was an issue getting it off the trailer...it came off wrong and a little damage was done (nothing very big).

It ripped my frame side panhard mount off, driver's side LCA mount off and LCA apart, as well as tweak the driver's side upper ORI mount. All these were just hard tacks...so just need to get them lined up again and get them fully burned in.

Before I got her moved...I got the 14B shave and gear setup done.

RuffStuff cover with TMR shave kit:

I did break a bolt of in the bottom plate...not even going to go into that nightmare...but got it fixed.

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

Now my issues with the Ruffstuff cover i'll mention. I did get this cover for "free" since I won a gift cert to ruffstuff some years ago...so this cover is a couple years old so i'm sure they've gotten much better since now. However...the fitment on mine wasn't that great overall. I had to machine out some holes in order to get all the screw holes lined up. As well...I had to shave the ends of it a LOT in order to sink the cover portion itself in to allow me ANY sort of chance of being able to get screws in after welding (i.e. the weld would not allow for a bolt head to sit flush.

Some pics to show what I mean...you can see how far off they are.
IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

Yeah...I know the welds on the cover arent the greatest...but its welded inside and out. The bolts holes made it so I had to try and run a really small bead. :shaking:

Got this pretty little gem from Matt this weekend, time to work on getting it mounted:

IMAG0358.jpg

Got the engine bracing in and done and two more bracing tubes. As well...my frame side panhard mount ripped off (only a few tacks holding it in place) when moving the buggy. So I went ahead and got it back on and beefed up a bit.

Shouldn't be having ANY problems with it now :D

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

Got in an order of non-insulated butt splices and lots of heat shrink...so some wiring work to get things shortened up, loomed and DONE is next.

Picked up a spare for a song...it's a 42x17R16.5 on a TR beadlock.

Thing is...its BIGGER than my 42's by a good amount! (both are aired up to the same PSI) :confused: :D

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0470.jpg

Oh well!

Got this beauty from Jess at High Angle Driveline :grinpimp:

IMAG0389.jpg

Installed:
IMAG0490.jpg

Got my old rear driveshaft lengthened, cv ball replaced and all new joints put in:
IMAG0483.jpg

You can see how close it is at full bump...but it clears!
IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0489.jpg

Got the triple stick setup done. The handles aren't remotely done, and a little more finish work to do on it but it shifts!
IMAG0484.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Got the alternator and orbital mounted, used the alternator mount of a WJ 4.0:
IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

Getting much closer to getting the thing moving under it's own power!

This makes me.so happy.

hey Justin what are the dot dates on the tires? Wondering if the larger one was made.more recently and they made it a true size???

looks great buddy. maybe we can both wheel together this upcoming year....finally.

Such a nice collection of work on 4 wheels Justin. :thumbup:

Will you be cutting the tubing over the engine to put in bolt plates so it's removeable? Or cross that bridge if/when the engine needs removed in the future?

That spare is odd...... is it the same width as your other 4? Seems wider as well as taller..... but I'm not gonna offer up any possible explanation....... you're the former tire guy! :D

The move looks like a good thing...... lots of room in that garage! :thumbup:

With all the speed holes in that thing it's looking more like an aircraft build........ you gonna paint it Air Force blue and call it the "F-Bomb"? :laugh:

Last edited:
I like the winch notch!

Especially the OCD plate welded behind the notch...... 'cuz that tube is just SO critical to the entire structure of the buggy....... no taco for Justin.

:D

IMAG0492.jpg

This makes me.so happy.

hey Justin what are the dot dates on the tires? Wondering if the larger one was made.more recently and they made it a true size???

looks great buddy. maybe we can both wheel together this upcoming year....finally.

Yeah...the dot dates...the tires are a wee bit old.

DOT dates are all '04, including the spare.

Hell yeah looking forward to a LOT of wheeling this next year!

Such a nice collection of work on 4 wheels Justin. :thumbup:

Will you be cutting the tubing over the engine to put in bolt plates so it's removeable? Or cross that bridge if/when the engine needs removed in the future?

That spare is odd...... is it the same width as your other 4? Seems wider as well as taller..... but I'm not gonna offer up any possible explanation....... you're the former tire guy! :D

The move looks like a good thing...... lots of room in that garage! :thumbup:

With all the speed holes in that thing it's looking more like an aircraft build........ you gonna paint it Air Force blue and call it the "F-Bomb"? :laugh:

The engine brace is just waiting for me to get body panels made (hood, fenders, and such) in order to make sure the tube disconnects I put in wont hit the hood.

Yep...the ONLY difference with the spare is the wheel diameter...otherwise they're the same height/width. Really no explanation for it :laugh:

The new garage is nice, but I'll be looking to move not too long after the buggy is done in order to be closer to work and have my "own" place.

Paint color: I haven't let it out of the bag to too many people...but it's gonna be bitchin :D

Especially the OCD plate welded behind the notch...... 'cuz that tube is just SO critical to the entire structure of the buggy....... no taco for Justin.

IMAG0492.jpg

Hey now...all it takes is one tube failing to take out the many!

There was only like 1.25" of connecting tube...so yeah I wanted to brace it a *weeee* bit.

Next up to get it moving on its own:

- Get power steering pump mounted - will require custom bracket made.
- Get hydro filter/resevoir, cooler, etc. mounted
- Get hydro hoses made
- Get Tranny shifter fabbed up
- Get some dummy pulleys mounted - more custom work
- Get radiator hoses all connected (theres 6+ of the damn things)
- Get wiring loomed and completely mounted
- Get tranny cooler mounting finished
- Get brakelines made/routed (this part is really gonna suck)
- Get Gas Pedal mounted
- Other really small crap i'm probably forgetting

Once that stuff is done and it moves/steers/stops on its own...i'll get all the panels and lighting done...then final tear down and paint!

so (1) awesome tube work, great looking build (2) its an XJ buggy because there is a little piece of unibody rail buried somewhere in there in all the tube? :D

this thing makes me happy....you do some amazing work man

So...

Since i'm trying to move around the first of the year...I've been trying to knock out a few hours of work every night.

I got the fin cooler installed (tacked in place) for the hydro as well as the resevoir/filter. So now all I need to do is get the PSC pully pressed onto the pump, finish the pump mounting, then get my hoses made and mounted!

Currently also working (got it halfway done last night) on getting the trans cooler/fan & mount mounted as well.

I'm going to work from home friday (which means get sh*t done on the buggy) so in that time and this weekend my list is:

- Get Tranny Cooler mounting done.
- Get PSC pulley mounted on pump
- Get the pump mounting finished up
- Get the new tubing and seat mounts done for the front of my driver's seat
- Finish driver's side floor bracing
- Weld up and dimple passenger-side boatside
- Get center console skin cut out/mounted
- Get Dash skin cut out/mounted

If I can get all that done with enough time left...then i'll start this weekend as well:

- Get Header Panel mounted
- Get front fenders cut and mounted
- Get hood cut down, reworked, and mounted with hood pins

My ultimate goal before January 1st is to get the thing moving under it own power enough to get on/off the trailer...and get AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE on the buggy and not sitting around so I have to move it for the eleventy-fukking-billionth time!

To get it "moving"

- Get hydro finished up
- Order weather-pack fittings and crap and get wiring DONE
- Get hoses for connecting cooler lines together
- Remount gas pedal

Not sure if I want to deal with brakeline mounting before that (since its going to be a bit of a b*tch with cutting brakes)

Back