• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another XJBuggy

Was looking for it but must have missed it, what brakes and such did you do on.the 14b? also curious to see how you ran brake lines to axle.

I did a used kit from a vendor on Pirate. Its just Chevy 3/4 ton calipers and rotors, with bolt on brackets. I haven't gotten those on the axle just yet but here real soon they will be.

I haven't run brake lines yet...thats one of the last "big" things to do before final teardown.
I'm still undecided on how I want to mount them exactly.

Ya i am trying to decide best way to run em on.truggy and was hoping you had the answer :D
i got some brakes off of a 2006 e350 semifloat dana 60 for my 14b. the rotors went on the ff 14b hubs just like the drums did, and all i had to do was cut off the old drum brake backing plate flange and weld on one i made to fit the disk brake backing plates. Worked bitchin, and stops great. twin piston calipers, and the ebrakes are much like the explorer 8.8, a mini drum inside the rotor.

this build is sweet, nice job man.

So didn't quite get as much done as I wanted this weekend (always seems to be the case)

Most of the dash is done. Still a bit of finish work to be done on these but they're about 90%. The horizontal dash's opening for the gauge cluster I need to get some end mill work done on. As well there will probably be speakers mounted on the ends of it eventually. The center console peice needs a bit more work (open up holes for cutting brakes, switch mounting holes, tranny temp gauge hole, flap discing, etc.).

IMAG0554_zps616712e8.jpg

IMAG0553_zps3db35499.jpg

I got started on my full hydro hose running/mounting.

Lets just say it was much easier said than done...

I found out at full bump there was a bit less room than I thought and hose routing is going to be fun. As well the routing that I had intended between components in the engine bay didn't exactly work out as planned. But, needless to say I think I got them pretty figured out. I just need to get my suction hose made, and the two hoses going to the ram.

I will say field servicable fittings are the sh*t. Didn't think it was going to be so fricken easy to make hoses! :D

So I now have all my hydro hoses except for the suction line done.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...but after looking it over and thinking for several hours this is about as good as the routing is going to get. Everything will be sleeved with FireSleeve, not I'm not too worred about abrasion/heat.

And no...the zipties are not final "mounting"...other things will be used for final mounting. :laugh:

You will notice things are very...close...at full bump. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do to fix this other than possibly running a hard 90* right at the ram then a straight fitting from there.

Since i'm rarely if ever going to be anywhere near FULL bump on both sides I'm not toooo worried. Only time and wheeling will really be able to tell.

IMAG0568_zpsf94bd72b.jpg

IMAG0567_zpsd5859dc7.jpg

IMAG0569_zpsa4862500.jpg

IMAG0557_zps3c259deb.jpg

V8 and rear steer will be next whenever I really need something to do and have money to burn :D

I'm curious how the 4.0 will do in there power to weight wise with what should be a much lighter chasis now . I'd bet the 4.0 moves it as good now as a mild v8 in a one ton set up with full body .

I'm curious how the 4.0 will do in there power to weight wise with what should be a much lighter chasis now . I'd bet the 4.0 moves it as good now as a mild v8 in a one ton set up with full body .

Yeah I'm curious to get it on the scales and see what she comes in at.

I wouldn't say the 4.0 will remotely feel like a V8, but with the gearing it won't be too bad. I've had/have several friends run 4.0's in their buggies (what were/are left of Jeeps) and the 4.0's were definitely enough to turn the tire preeeetty well.

Would a V8 be nice? Yup.

Do I *need* one for what I plan on doing? Nope.

Will I be looking to throw a V8 in sometime in the future? Hell yeah! :D

Once the buggy gets done, and things/$$$ settles down my plan is to try and get a 6.0 (would like to get an LQ9) and build it up to be a reliable 400-500hp motor. As well I'll be looking to build either a TH400 or a 4L80E to go behind it. But for now I just want to get the buggy done and enjoy it for a while ;)

Well...haven't been taking much in the way of pics, but got a couple more things done.

- Got my dash and center console pieces chucked up on and endmill and got them all cleaned up.

- Jumped on a lathe and got both my Tranny and T-case linkages done

- A bit of more finish wiring, with "final" mounting being done. Hoping to have my buddy Sam (zluster) come over Monday if I don't start working down in Longmont that day and get the wiring 100% done (switches in and wired for lights, blinkers, fan, etc.)...and START the damn thing for the last time before tear down!

Going to knock out this weekend:

- Going to work on knocking out my catch cans and mounting this weekend. I'll start another thread about a simple way to build those that I'm sure many will like :D

- Fairlead mount

- Radiator Hoses

- Serpentine Belt

- Weld bung in Tranny Pan, change AW4 filter, wire up tranny temp gauge

- Get some more interior panels (hopefully 4 of the 8 left to go)

Much of this will be swayed whether or not I decide to go down to the junkyards Sunday to try and get a Tcase for the DD XJ thats been sitting since December-ish.

Cripes. Nice work.

So, it's been a bit of little sh*t lately.

Got the blinkers and hazards figured out with the help of Sam, just need to get the switched and wire them up. That just leaves the headlights to figure out.

So far my switches will be:

- Blinkers
- Headlights (low / high)
- Hazards
- Fan bypass (to turn taurus fan on high)
- Interior lights (will probably wait until later after it is all done to do these)

Got the front fairlead mount done:

IMAG0591_zps01c0fe28.jpg

Now...for the part i've been bugged about for while.

I was going to wait until near completion to let the "cat out of the bag" per se...but meh. That cat...would be my body panels and what I had up my sleeve. So I'll bring out the pictures :D

Got the passenger side fender mounted:

IMAG0592_zps95b21f8d.jpg

A look from the front :greensmok:

IMAG0593_zps6bccc51c.jpg

And the big one...my rear quarters and lights:

IMAG0594_zps2eb1f276.jpg

IMAG0595_zpsf14f5e44.jpg

I did say it would be body paneled like an XJ! :D

With that out...I move onto this little piece of bling that showed up today!

IMAG0590_zpse2ecae8d.jpg

Yes...it is only one for the moment. I'll be ordering the rest of them when I'm in the painting stage so they aren't sitting around taking up more room.

Well...with the front end nearly done, that left one thing. The hood.

First: take a fukkload of measurements, scratch head, and then do a lot of :dunno:

IMAG0585_zpsb03a8c32.jpg

Second: Get hood and remove underbracing.
IMAG0586_zps8702ac43.jpg

IMAG0588_zpsa63a94b9.jpg

Third: Mask for your cuts.

IMAG0589_zpse9bfa6d5.jpg

Fourth: Spend an insane amount of time working on it...and the SCRAP it!

:rolleyes::laugh:

Yeah...sorry if anyone wanted to see that go somewhere. I was hoping that would work out since it was the original hood of the XJ before buggification. After working on it for near 10 hours it just wasn't going to be up to par with what I wanted...too warped and didn't want to play nice with the engine cage.

I have another plan, which involves starting with a flat sheet of 16 or 18Ga and making my own.

To give everyone an idea of what it was like outside the garage this past weekend and how things have been (kinda redundant for those of us in CO chapter) :D

IMAG0587_zps0235dab0.jpg

:laugh:

Those front fenders on the rear work very nicely! Great idea Justin. :thumbup:

Wasn't Jon (Kaczman) selling a set of those exact wheels?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1090418

Thanks, I thought it worked pretty damn slick :D

Yep, pretty much same wheels. Only difference it I will be going with the 9.5" wide wheels and aluminum rings instead of steel.

What can I say...they're dead sexy wheels and work damn good :D

Back