• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk in the Trunk

It looks as though you have though all of it through and are well prepared, however, I would make sure all that gear gets secured. I have seen people get massive injuries for stuff flying around in an accident. Rule of thumb: If you don't want to get hit in the back of your head at 30 mph, make sure everything is tied down. This goes for all vehicles. Example: have someone throw a Kleenex box as hard as they can at the back of your head and see how it feels, now imagine that pick axe or HiLift coming at you.

T Cody

Last edited:
codysown said:
I would make sure all that gear gets secured. I have seen people get massive injuries for stuff flying around in an accident. Rule of thumb: If you dont want to get hit in the back of your head at 30 mph,

There's at least one DOA in August after a wheeling event that I know of not where the driver would have survived if everything was secured.

codysown said:
It looks as though you have though all of it through and are well prepared, however, I would make sure all that gear gets secured. I have seen people get massive injuries for stuff flying around in an accident. Rule of thumb: If you don't want to get hit in the back of your head at 30 mph, make sure everything is tied down. This goes for all vehicles. Example: have someone throw a Kleenex box as hard as they can at the back of your head and see how it feels, now imagine that pick axe or HiLift coming at you.

T Cody

A good point, that is why I put in the home made headache rack in mine and strap it all down as well. Another good point is to keep the COG as low as you can to prevent flops. I sold the roof basket a long time ago and my spare is inside and on the rear floor.

If I ever break down, I hope one of you guys are out on the trail that day. At least you have inspired me to get a full size spare!

Phil said:
x2 100%.

Do you guys even have room to sit?
Heck yeah! My 2 sons ride with me, the 14 year old in the front and the 6 year old in the back seat drivers side. The pass side floor board is were I carry my tool bag which is ratchet strapped to the front seat brackets to keep it from becomming a projectile, my gear bag sets in the seat and is buckled in to keep it from flying around.

The list looks huge but if you pack it all tight it realy doesn't take that much room to get everything in.

You say I pack too much crap, well maybe so, but I do not have to rely on anyone else to loan me a tool or a part to get me home. For me there is nothing more annoying than some jerk that takes their rig to the mountains that is not ready for what they are putting it through and they don't have the parts and tools to fix it when it does break.

Most of the trails around here put us miles from the nearest road, I don't want someone else to have to ruin their day of wheeling to tow me the rest of the way out or have to leave the trail and find parts for me. The terrain around here is too steep and the trails are too tight to try to tow someone through and not do damage to both rigs anyway.

Go prepaired to take care of yourself and prepair your rig like your life will depend on it because it may!

Last edited:
i simply use a foldable (comes apart in several pieces) so i can simply pick up the entire thing and throw it (takes 2 people) in the back when i go wheeling, normal driving i keep it pretty light, some basic recovery, regular sized spare, small tool box etc. otherwise, on the trail i'm fully loaded.

JeepFreak21 said:
Holy sh!t... if Jes says you carry to much crap... you must really carry too much crap!

Have you started packing lighter now that you're rig is a trailer queen Jes?

Billy

:dunno:

I've always just packed for what I was doing. Personally, I have no need to carry more than than what I or my rig needs on the trail.
If I'm doing some easy wheeling/camping (like the Rubicon, etc.) my rig usually has a lot more stuff in it.
If I'm running the Hammers or other similarly difficult trails I carry a lot less.
Weight breaks stuff.

l_71044f857d75017e67241c6a3385fc97.jpg

Meh. Not very intricate.

Although I have an axe, I'm not carrying it because I won't need it for tomorrow.

Jes said:
:dunno:

I've always just packed for what I was doing. Personally, I have no need to carry more than than what I or my rig needs on the trail.
If I'm doing some easy wheeling/camping (like the Rubicon, etc.) my rig usually has a lot more stuff in it.
If I'm running the Hammers or other similarly difficult trails I carry a lot less.
Weight breaks stuff.

I agree with you here.

In addition to two mounted fire extinguishers, a hi-lift, and one recovery rope under my seat, and a small waterproof first-aid kit, I always carry one (1) ammo box worth of stuff. In this box I fit:

- 1/2" drive ratchet
- 3" extension
- a rail of 1/2" drive sockets customized for the bolts I actually have on my XJ
- a set of wrenches customized for the same thing
- 4 spare tie rod ends (a duplicate of each one in service)
- a Dana 60 axleshaft u-joint and associated C-clips
- a 1310-1350 conversion joint
- a 1310 joint and associated clips
- a hammer
- a hub tool
- a small pair of vice grips
- a small punch
- one crosshead screwdriver
- one flathead screwdriver
- a folding allen wrench set
- a pair of channel locks

All of this creatively fits into a box this big:

50calbox.jpg

and I can handle just about any breakage I might encounter on a trail, well enough to get me off of it.

In the event that I am on a longer trip, this leaves me plenty of room for what I consider "camping" supplies, not wheeling supplies.

I quickly became tired of my XJ sounding like a junkyard everytime I went over a bump due to all the crap I used to carry. Now not only have I reduced the noise and weight of my cargo, but I've got a lot of room for "incidental" things like fire logs, coolers, other people's crap, etc.

I would wager that a large amount of the stuff that most of you carry will never get used. The key is to eliminate the excess stuff and condense it as much as possible into a small box.

I think part of it is people like being the 'hero' on a trail, and can fix everyone else's broken junk. That's the other reason I carry a strong recovery rope.

Here's my trunk not a filled up at the time but my 32" spare and alot of other junk still fits underneath. The height of the rack is high enough to snuggly fit a 70 qt cooler under and everything gets tied down so nothing goes flying around. I love that the hi-lift is inside and away from the elements do it doesn't get hammered by the elements.

click to enlarge

Begster said:
Ya I have a ton of stuff in my trunk to, I made a box and keep stuff in the box, spare and other bag of tools that are nice to have in easy reach on top, jumpers and other stuff under the seat, and a few other things thrown about.

Also, that tow hook would do better actually mounted on the jeep.

The tow hook is for other vehicles, I've riged it up before . I've got 2 up front and 3 recovery points out back. I just keep it because I have it. . .

codysown said:

T Cody

The only time it's packed as loosely as you see it is when I het up a trail. One time I was at the bach and I had the lift in the back unsecured. . . we hit a bump and the jack caused quite a bruise on someones shoulder. It's never been left loose like that since!

So. . . tie, bolt and secure all your crap. Or build a box for the items too hard to secure.

Turfzilla said:
If I ever break down, I hope one of you guys are out on the trail that day. At least you have inspired me to get a full size spare!

I love the space saved with the full size spare mounted on the swing-away in the rear. I don't think I'de ever put a fullsize inside the rig again.

Begster said:
Ya I have a ton of stuff in my trunk to, I made a box and keep stuff in the box, spare and other bag of tools that are nice to have in easy reach on top, jumpers and other stuff under the seat, and a few other things thrown about.

Also, that tow hook would do better actually mounted on the jeep.

Whats with the duct tape on the pliers ?

Might be easier next time to take pictures of the stuff you DON'T take.

Back