• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

js drive shaft ?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
ive been really liking the jeepspeed stuff i have been seeing lately. one ? i have is what do you guys running 2wd use for driveshafts? im assuming you run aw4s. is there a sye kit for the tranny out put or do you use the stock slip style shaft?

We run the stock style slip yoke on the 7118 Comanche,(2wd) The 781 Comanche also has the stock drivehaft(also 2wd)

It's getting 4wd soon(the 741). As it's going to need a new rear 'shaft, a question is SYE or slip shaft.

ok thats what i thought. i wasnt sure if there was a fixed yoke setup on the 2wd stuff. but then again with the travel in the suspension on some of the prerunner jeeps i thought for sure they would have a cv shaft.

a buddy called up a local jeep driveshaft shop to get a 2wd shaft made for his mj, figuring thats what they do, they can figure it out, right? nope. new one was too long and chipped his 2wd trans output.... he has since swapped over to 4x4 instead of wasting money on a 2wd setup (especially cause he needed a new trans and driveshaft, 2wd shafts are long, expensive, and expensive to ship)

why do you assume people run aw4's? i run an aw4, but im pretty much the only person i know who doesnt prefer an ax-15 in the dirt.... they're a lot more fun for cornering/etc.

ive only seen a hand full of jeepspeed rigs up close they were all automatic. i like the manual trans. i just thought they use the aw4 for a reason. does any of the js stuff run 4wd or is it all 2wd ? the more i see the more i like the go fast stuff. but i dont know anything about it.

some teams run 2wd, some run 4wd, many run transfer case's regardless, 2lo is worth it.

as far as i know, there is no sye-kit for 2wd aw4's, but t&j does offer a sye kit for the 2wd ax15, but its prohibitively expensive (can do a 4x4 swap, w/ sye for about the same price). the problem is supply and demand, nobody buys sye kits for 2wd jeeps... so theres no market, no market = no incentive to make/sell the kit.

Ray you wanna take a ride in our heep? I'm sure you will love it! most are 4wd but choose to run 2wd for certain races where 4wd isn't needed.
We were just at the more race 2 weekends ago. It was fun hitting whoops @ 65+mph. Have a brand new trussed 8.8 & trussed 2wd beam. We only choose 2wd cause we are going as lightweight as possible. It won't ever race, just a fun toy!
Less weight = better for us!

D30's with fluids still weigh 5lbs heavier than our trussed beam. Add a truss to a d30 & weight goes up. Our beam is sleaved & has a underside trussed, boxed control arm mounts. Gusseted c's and all. Its a beast & still less than a stock d30 with fluids.

I've had some trouble with a leaking rear trans seal, I'm only runnind about 2.5" of lift on my 98 2wd. I just replaced the bushing and seal yesterday see if that fixes the problem if not I'll have to start looking at driveshafts.......

Back