• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Joining the Military

Marine or Army, make sure you get what you want in the contract. Marine and Army go to the same welding school, the only difference is the last class is army unique and Marine unique but up until then I had classes with marines in them.

Why hasn't anyone talked about Warrant Officers? I'm a CW2 with no college degree and I fly a multi-million dollar Blackhawk helicopter. I just returned from Iraq last week and when I wasn't flying I was pretty much just hanging out watching movies and surfing the web. I'm not gonna say there weren't some scary moments but Army Aviation is pretty damn awesome. I have been in the Army almost 7 years and have been flying for the last two of those. I know plenty of guys and gals that I went through flight school with that joined the Army right out of high school and went to basic training, warrant officer candidate school, then flight school. NO COLLEGE DEGREE REQUIRED. Getting a college degree in the long run is definitely a must if you want to excel in your career but it's not necessary in the first 4 or 5 years as an Army Aviator which is plenty of time to finish your degree using the Army's Tuition Assistance program. If you are interested in being a helicopter pilot in the Army ask those recruiters about the "street to seat" or "high school to flight school" programs. If you have any questions in general about the Army or Army life shoot me a PM and I'll answer every question I can and if I don't have the answer I will get it for you.

Oh and as for that practice ASVAB score, I got a 67 on my practice ASVAB too. It's the GT score that really matters. You need at least a 110 GT score for most of the "good" jobs in the Army. I was enlisted for my first 4 yrs and was in the Military Intelligence branch. I was a 33W which has since been redesignated to 35T (Military Intelligence Systems Maintainer/Integrator) fancy name for electronics repair, lol. I had a Top Secret security clearance and got to mess around with electronics and computers all day.

My best bits of advice...

1. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH...figure out what you want to do then do all the research you can on the subject and talk to other people who have that job.

2. TWIST THE RECRUITERS ARM. Once you've done your research, go to the recruiter and let them know what you want and hold them to it. If you go to a recruiting office and that guy gives you the run around just walk out and go find another recruiter for the same branch of service. Every single recruiting station has different quotas to meet.

Once again...if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

I talked with the air force today. Haha from what I seen I have to agree it is more like the chair force. They offer no tuition reinbursment or signing bonuses. Right now I'm planning on the army. I know I have to get everything in writing and I told the recruiter that today. They are offering up to 65K in tuition reinbursment which is close to what I am currently in debt in student loans. She garanteed me that it would be in the contract. If it isn't, I simply won't sign. Plain and simple. Also as mentioned I am trying to enter as an E4 through the Army Civilian Aquired Skills Program. If the job is open and I get all the correct paperwork that will also be stated in my contract. The MOS i'm going for is 91W/Metal Worker. The ACASP program for that requires 2 years proof of experience in body and metal, and an A.W.S certification in welding which I currently have. Now I'm going to go have a :smoker:

You know why the AF doesn't offer signing bonuses? They don't need to. If the other branches are so awesome, why do they have to pay people to join? Think about it!!

Why hasn't anyone talked about Warrant Officers? I'm a CW2 with no college degree and I fly a multi-million dollar Blackhawk helicopter. I just returned from Iraq last week and when I wasn't flying I was pretty much just hanging out watching movies and surfing the web. I'm not gonna say there weren't some scary moments but Army Aviation is pretty damn awesome. I have been in the Army almost 7 years and have been flying for the last two of those. I know plenty of guys and gals that I went through flight school with that joined the Army right out of high school and went to basic training, warrant officer candidate school, then flight school. NO COLLEGE DEGREE REQUIRED. Getting a college degree in the long run is definitely a must if you want to excel in your career but it's not necessary in the first 4 or 5 years as an Army Aviator which is plenty of time to finish your degree using the Army's Tuition Assistance program. If you are interested in being a helicopter pilot in the Army ask those recruiters about the "street to seat" or "high school to flight school" programs. If you have any questions in general about the Army or Army life shoot me a PM and I'll answer every question I can and if I don't have the answer I will get it for you.

Oh and as for that practice ASVAB score, I got a 67 on my practice ASVAB too. It's the GT score that really matters. You need at least a 110 GT score for most of the "good" jobs in the Army. I was enlisted for my first 4 yrs and was in the Military Intelligence branch. I was a 33W which has since been redesignated to 35T (Military Intelligence Systems Maintainer/Integrator) fancy name for electronics repair, lol. I had a Top Secret security clearance and got to mess around with electronics and computers all day.

My best bits of advice...

1. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH...figure out what you want to do then do all the research you can on the subject and talk to other people who have that job.

2. TWIST THE RECRUITERS ARM. Once you've done your research, go to the recruiter and let them know what you want and hold them to it. If you go to a recruiting office and that guy gives you the run around just walk out and go find another recruiter for the same branch of service. Every single recruiting station has different quotas to meet.

Once again...if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Agreed, WO is the best of both worlds in any service.

Can't believe there's only two Coasties on here... It would be worth it to talk to a Coast Guard recruiter. WAY more room on our cutters than Navy ships (I'm currently stationed on a 179 PC we're leasing from the Navy). As an E-4 (or under depending on the command), you could get qualified as a small boat coxswain and you're in charge of the boat underway. You'd probably come in as E-3 and get to work with the different rates (jobs) before you decide which one you like rather than get stuck with one upon signing your contract. Our bigger cutters go overseas and get some pretty cool port calls.

I know money is a factor, but the good thing is I make the same as an E-5 in any other service.

Also, I agree with everyone else, finish school first. Then you can use your GI Bill for grad school... :D

You know why the AF doesn't offer signing bonuses? They don't need to. If the other branches are so awesome, why do they have to pay people to join? Think about it!!

Ive heard of one person in my Marine unit getting a signing bonus. The reason he got it was probably because if they thought if they didn't offer it to him he would join the Army and get money thrown at him. They didn't want to let him slip through the cracks. Why does the Army pay so much to get you to join? Because a lot of people care more about what the military can do for them as opposed to what branch and MOS can they do the most good. Its not that the money is an equalizing factor to make the other services seem as "awesome" as the air force, its just what a lot of people care more about then anything else.

Can't believe there's only two Coasties on here... It would be worth it to talk to a Coast Guard recruiter. WAY more room on our cutters than Navy ships (I'm currently stationed on a 179 PC we're leasing from the Navy). As an E-4 (or under depending on the command), you could get qualified as a small boat coxswain and you're in charge of the boat underway. You'd probably come in as E-3 and get to work with the different rates (jobs) before you decide which one you like rather than get stuck with one upon signing your contract. Our bigger cutters go overseas and get some pretty cool port calls.

I know money is a factor, but the good thing is I make the same as an E-5 in any other service.

Also, I agree with everyone else, finish school first. Then you can use your GI Bill for grad school... :D

He wants to join the military, isn't the CG still under the commerce dept [ducking and running for cover LOL] :D :D :D :D

During peacetime its part of the department of homeland secutiry. During wartime it is the nucleus that the department of the navy revolves around

Fixed it for you.

The Coast Guard was transferred from the Treasury Department to the Department of Transportation by President Kennedy and then to the newly created Department of Homeland Security by President George W. Bush. Only during a war declared by Congress will the Coast Guard be transferred to the Department of the Navy.

The CG is on a hiring freeze. I seriously considered it a few months ago when I was all but out of work entirely. Hell, I would have joined Coast Guard in a minute... even as an E-1 I would have been making more than I was...

Philosophic point - would you be OK with signing on to kill people you may have no personal issue with? There are solid arguments for and against, just a personal thing...

As a 21 yr Navy Retired Chief, and completed a 5 Year tour as a Successful recruiter (I. E. Salesman), all the service recruiters have goals they need to meet each and every month. Get it in your contract before you sign, your Job, bonus, college payback etc..

The Navy has a Classifier, which it is his/her job to sit down with you, find out what Job you qualify for (ASVAB), and what jobs are AVAILABLE at the time.

Agree with finishing your Degree 1st. But remember, we have a lot of Officer's across the board in each service, but only 1/2 of them are Good Officers. If you go Officer always remember to take care of your people and they will take care of you. If you treat them like dirt expect that in return. As a Junior Officer you need your Senior NCO's to guide you and teach you, without them in your corner you are left alone trying to find your way.

Retired Navy so I'm partial, however each service is a good choice, but it comes down to one thing... Your Job, you need to find one that you will enjoy for a career if you choice, or for getting experience in a field which you can use once you get out.

Service is not for everyone.

My .02

Philosophic point - would you be OK with signing on to kill people you may have no personal issue with? There are solid arguments for and against, just a personal thing...

We don't kill people in the military. Criminals break into homes, rob stores, and kill people.
We shoot at targets a lot in training, and then after training they give us targets that sometimes shoot back.

We don't kill people in the military. Criminals break into homes, rob stores, and kill people.
We shoot at targets a lot in training, and then after training they give us targets that sometimes shoot back.
:facepalm:

We do kill people in the military. It's part of the job. Every Marine is a rifleman, so even though I was an air winger working electronics, if the situation arose, I would've been expected to pull the trigger and kill the enemy, neutralize the threat.

There is a difference between killing and murder. Criminals murder. Murder is unlawful killing. Killing is simply taking someone's life and is a part of being deployed the front lines.

Well I am on the fence about joining up or going back to school. I am currently enrolled back in school for the spring semester that starts Jan 10. I have to decide on this soon. I went and talked to the navy again. They informed me that I should look into dive school. They said that would probably be the best route if I wanted to be a welder for the Navy. They could get me into underwater welding. It is just a huge decision that I cannot take lightly. I am gearing more towards school right now which is not what my family wants for me. The problems with school is that I have went back twice and messed up. Started partying and making poor choices. But going back this time is also my last chance if I decide to take that route, and knowing that will drive me to crack down and do better. :confused1 The way I figure it the military will always be there too, if I ever want to take that route later on life. Decisions Decisions

Well I am on the fence about joining up or going back to school. I am currently enrolled back in school for the spring semester that starts Jan 10. I have to decide on this soon. I went and talked to the navy again. They informed me that I should look into dive school. They said that would probably be the best route if I wanted to be a welder for the Navy. They could get me into underwater welding. It is just a huge decision that I cannot take lightly. I am gearing more towards school right now which is not what my family wants for me. The problems with school is that I have went back twice and messed up. Started partying and making poor choices. But going back this time is also my last chance if I decide to take that route, and knowing that will drive me to crack down and do better. :confused1 The way I figure it the military will always be there too, if I ever want to take that route later on life. Decisions Decisions

The hard hat school in florida is pretty good, tough course though, not as bad as buds but not easy either though you will probably get moved to the seal/buds company around week 5 in boot camp. Most fail out on the pt test with pull ups. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am a retired Marine. Received a bonus for initially signing up for combat arms (a long time ago). The military is an excellent organization to get into. I believe everyone should do at least one hitch. It gives a sense of discipline and belonging. When s#%t hits the fan, you are covering the guy next to you, just as he is for you. We all bled Marine green. It made no difference who or what you were as long as you did your job.

Whatever you elect to do, make damn sure you get it in writing BEFORE you sign the final papers. Recruiters will make promises to the end of the world. It only matters what is on the paper when you sign it.

As far as killing people, that is liberal BS. No one forced the opponent to pick up a rifle and shoot at you. Don't wanna come back home? Do not shoot back. Think of it as somebody breaking into your home and potentially harming your family. What are you going to do? End the threat or let the perpetrator do as he pleases?

I 100% agree, finish your degree first, then go in as an officer. You will be glad you did every day.
Like stated above, look out for your people and they will look out for you. Listen to your Staff NCO's or Chiefs. Some of them have been doing the job longer than you have been alive. Do not be afraid to get your hands dirty. You will lose respect real fast if you only show up to give orders then disappear.

My son is a senior at Texas A&M. He got a full ride (scholarship) from the Navy. Gets his comission May, 13, 2011. The Navy seems to be the best if you want to actually learn and do while still being semi-safe. Sorry I am partial, no way would I ever recommend the Army or Air Force. Join the Marines or Navy. Not the Army or Air Force. Want proof, how many retired Army or Air Force stickers you see on cars? Compare that with Marines or Navy. Case closed. The Army allows you to choose your job, but then your stuck with that job. I was a Marine tanker. Held every posistion on a tank. Was also the supply NCO, and at another time, the company clerk. So yes you do get a broader range of jobs in a smaller outfit like the Marines. We used Navy corpsmen for gunners. So yes, jobs outside your MOS are there. Not so with the Army I knew. Might be different now though.

Also, talk about a tight fraternity. 'Marines' on your resume is hands down better than any fraterninty. I got my first engineering job from a retired Marine. His comment was 'A former Marine, come on in'. Ever been in the control room of a nuclear power plant? I have. They were all ex Navy nuclear officers. Oh yeah, the lowest guy there made over $100K for a 40 hour work week, and that was 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Ive said this a few times but it has fallen on deaf ears apparently. You can "DEP" into the military, that is join the delayed entry pool. This means that you join, make it official, but have up to a year before you need to start training. Or, like I have also said, Join now, go to OCS over the summer, finish school, take your commission right after you graduate.

Ive said this a few times but it has fallen on deaf ears apparently. You can "DEP" into the military, that is join the delayed entry pool. This means that you join, make it official, but have up to a year before you need to start training. Or, like I have also said, Join now, go to OCS over the summer, finish school, take your commission right after you graduate.

That delayed entry paid dividends upon retirement.....:clap:

Back