• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start.

How do you test it?

Reverse lights are working fine though.

Well I just pulled the NSS out, took it apart and cleaned it all up. I put it back in and the jeep fired right up. It's also warm out right now so I won't know until tonight if that was the problem or not.

Since its cooled down I figured I would go try and start the jeep. And guess what? Still no start. So the starter and NSS have been ruled out.

Could it be the battery even though the lights and everything else work fine?

Possibly.. Unlikely but try a friends battery

My 88 will randomly start with the key still and sometimes I can only start with the push button. I wouldn't rule out the nss still IMO

Did you have the battery tested ?

Took the battery into Napa and had them load test it. Sure enough not enough cold cranking amps. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Back to square one. The new battery didn't fix the problem.

did you jumper the NSS or just clean it?

If the jumpered NSS didnt fix it, and youve checked the battery and starter, it might be time to start bypassing all the associated relays to see if one is sticking when cold

How do I jumper the NSS?

Do you own a test light? Do you know how to use it? Can you locate the starter relay? How about a service manual with wiring diagram? Jump pins 30 and 87 at the starter relay and see if it cranks. Make sure the trans is in the correct gear, automatic trans right? Report back with your test results. You will need the test light once we get to the next step.

I bypassed the NSS and that still did nothing.

Excuse my ignorance here. But how do I jump pins 30 and 87?

How about that test light?

The first thing to check is if you have power at the siganl wire when trying to start your jeep. Find the smaller of the 2 wires at your starter. Use the test light on the small wire terminal to see if the starter is getting power when the key is in the crank position. Obviously you need to do this test 2hen it won't start.

As for the starter relay, look under the hood for the large fuse block. Find the starter relay using the diagram on the inside of the lid. Remove the relay to see the terminals and what type of relay it is. Then check back here. If you have time during the day today, call me and I can get you some more information.

You will need a test light, and a paper clip to run this test.

I will pm you my number.

How about that test light?

The first thing to check is if you have power at the siganl wire when trying to start your jeep. Find the smaller of the 2 wires at your starter. Use the test light on the small wire terminal to see if the starter is getting power when the key is in the crank position. Obviously you need to do this test 2hen it won't start.

As for the starter relay, look under the hood for the large fuse block. Find the starter relay using the diagram on the inside of the lid. Remove the relay to see the terminals and what type of relay it is. Then check back here. If you have time during the day today, call me and I can get you some more information.

You will need a test light, and a paper clip to run this test.

I will pm you my number.

:dunno:

Back