• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Bumper Design Changes?

RCP Phx said:
Sure,Im in!So the CNC plasma cutter just made a mistake,the welder didnt notice the difference,and nobody picked up on the "strange new bumper we build".

Yea well the CNC laser that I program rarely makes mistakes but ya never know! Shiz happens.

RCP Phx said:
Sure,Im in! So the CNC plasma cutter just made a mistake(twice,one for the tubing and one for the filler piece),the welder didnt notice the difference,and nobody picked up on the "strange new bumper we build".

You got us.. I am going to have to take the long walk from my office to the production building tomorrow morning and have our in house tech check the settings on the CNC machinery and robot welders...

No seriously, we are actually working on building a CNC plasma cutter... but it will be a few months... we buy parts for it as we have extra $$.

For now it's mark the part with soapstone, then cut it out on the band saw. We don't have a "template" for the top skits as when you build things by hand there are always slight variations.

Last edited:
monkeyevil said:
My thought is we screwed something up... I dunno how it made it out like that, probably because it's harder to tell the difference on the floor than on a Jeep. I wish I had a chance to clear this up before this thread turned 3 pages long...

We did slightly change the design of the bumper (angles of the side pieces) since that first prototype. The angle of your picture is tricking my eye, so I can't tell how far yours is off from how we typically do it now... but it is off.

We changed the angle of the side pieces about 5 deg (and shortened it overall slightly) so we could us a shorter blank for the bumper when we start building it. Since we buy our 5x2 box tube is 20 foot sticks, any way we can save a few inches means we can get one more XJ bumper out of a stick as opposed to a short SWB bumper or the like. That means it saves us and you money in the long run.

The initial change did not hurt the aesthetics at all in our opinion. The total distance from the front of the bumper to the front of the grill has never changed from that initial design. It has always been the shortest possible without the winch hitting the grille.

At any rate yours looks wrong, and it's obviously our mistake. I will be in the office tomorrow if you want to give us a call. I will send a UPS pickup for that bumper, and we will have you a new out out ASAP. Sorry for the issues :eek:

~Daryl

I have pictures of the revisions that I will get up ASAP as well. They honestly wearn't a large enough difference for me to make it a priority, but it seems I need to get that done. Sorry for any confusion.
Well if this isn't awesome customer service, I don't know what is.:thumbup:

I will give you a call later this morning.

I looked through my pics and found two more from better angles.

cimg0386qz4.jpg

cimg0400wd5.jpg

After looking at your other bumpers, it would almost appear that the front angles could have been bent using the measurements from one of the non-winch bumpers.

Destroyer said:
After looking at your other bumpers, it would almost appear that the front angles could have been bent using the measurements from one of the non-winch bumpers.

Bingo! Daryl and I discussed this last night (I am visiting family in Texas) and figured out the problem. Unfortunatly we don't have Robotic welders or a CNC plasma cutter that cuts everything we make. Every part we build is built by one of 4 ppl in our shop. Unfortunatly for Daryl and I, sometimes it is hard to keep everyone building everything correctly 100% of the time. We are going to be having a "shop meeting" on Wednesday when I return and we plan to fix the problems and go over each item we are making and make sure everthing and everyone is on the same page.

I am sorry that you received this bumper, This should have been caught. We shipped over 30 bumpers, 20 something sliders, 10 sets of steering, and other parts and pieces over the last 2 and half weeks. That is the only reasoning I have for this bumper making it out the door.

We will have your new corrected bumper built and shipped later this week and we will be seding a pickup for this in a couple days.

Sorry about the frustration! Brian.

Last edited:
jcroffroad said:
Bingo! Daryl and I discussed this last night (I am visiting family in Texas) and figured out the problem. Unfortunatly we don't have Robotic welders or a CNC plasma cutter that cuts everything we make. Every part we build is built by one of 4 ppl in our shop. Unfortunatly for Daryl and I, sometimes it is hard to keep everyone building everything correctly 100% of the time. We are going to be having a "shop meeting" on Wednesday when I return and we plan to fix the problems and go over each item we are making and make sure everthing and everyone is on the same page.

I am sorry that you received this bumper, This should have been caught. We shipped over 30 bumpers, 20 something sliders, 10 sets of steering, and other parts and pieces over the last 2 and half weeks. That is the only reasoning I have for this bumper making it out the door.

We will have your new corrected bumper built and shipped later this week and we will be seding a pickup for this in a couple days.

WOW! That sound like CS to me.Way to take care of the peeps JCR!

You should just take that bumper and put it on my '91- I still have my stock fender flares:yelclap:

jcroffroad said:

good customer service was the deciding factor when i was shopping for a bumper. my JCR product has given me no problems :thumbup:

please keep up updated Destroyer!

monkeyevil said:
My thought is we screwed something up... I dunno how it made it out like that, probably because it's harder to tell the difference on the floor than on a Jeep. I wish I had a chance to clear this up before this thread turned 3 pages long...

We did slightly change the design of the bumper (angles of the side pieces) since that first prototype. The angle of your picture is tricking my eye, so I can't tell how far yours is off from how we typically do it now... but it is off.

We changed the angle of the side pieces about 5 deg (and shortened it overall slightly) so we could us a shorter blank for the bumper when we start building it. Since we buy our 5x2 box tube is 20 foot sticks, any way we can save a few inches means we can get one more XJ bumper out of a stick as opposed to a short SWB bumper or the like. That means it saves us and you money in the long run.

The initial change did not hurt the aesthetics at all in our opinion. The total distance from the front of the bumper to the front of the grill has never changed from that initial design. It has always been the shortest possible without the winch hitting the grille.

At any rate yours looks wrong, and it's obviously our mistake. I will be in the office tomorrow if you want to give us a call. I will send a UPS pickup for that bumper, and we will have you a new out out ASAP. Sorry for the issues :eek:

~Daryl

I have pictures of the revisions that I will get up ASAP as well. They honestly wearn't a large enough difference for me to make it a priority, but it seems I need to get that done. Sorry for any confusion.

Dont take all of us seriously, sometimes it's fun to poke a bit. One of the things I love about the warns on the front of our TJ's is I always have a place to sit, drink my coffee and wait for the wife to come out of the store... and in cooler weather keep my back warm :D :D :D Plus that it's grey and sticks out like a sore thumb does not help that much. Kinda like those yellow ones they have in quadratec catalog, they look HUGE.

Re: JCR Bumper Design Changes? (UPDATE 1/27/08)

Update 1/27/08

The new bumper arrived last Wed. and I was able to paint/install it today.

I must say that this one is MUCH better than the original! The corners are angled in more, and the fender guards are tucked in nicely as well. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

cimg0595xa0.jpg

cimg0594oa7.jpg

cimg0604uq5.jpg

cimg0605ks3.jpg

A big thanks to guys at JCR Offroad for the great customer service. Doesn't get any better than that. :thumbup::thumbup: for JCR

-Destroyer

Update 1/27/08

The new bumper arrived last Wed. and I was able to paint/install it today.

I must say that this one is MUCH better than the original! The corners are angled in more, and the fender guards are tucked in nicely as well. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

cimg0595xa0.jpg

cimg0594oa7.jpg

cimg0604uq5.jpg

cimg0605ks3.jpg

A big thanks to guys at JCR Offroad for the great customer service. Doesn't get any better than that. :thumbup::thumbup: for JCR

-Destroyer

That's an awesome customer service story right there. Didn't even have to chase 'em down since they're watching the forum!

Any shop can screw one up now and then, it's what they do afterwards that shows you what they are all about.

Cherokeekid88 said:
question....Did you get to keep both bumpers?

no, jcr paid for the shipping to send the other back.

this is the other reason why i've bought all my bumpers and my sliders from JCR. I've always had great CS with those guys, and they ship a quality product.

I might go for it even though I probably won't put a winch on it, when a winch bumper looks good with out the winch thats a good bumper... :D :D :D

Back