• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It was a Jeep...built in to a camper... I call it "The JEPER"

If anybody ever sees me pulling a $10K trailer behind my $400 XJ force me off the road and kick my ass. lol

Downhome, don't go to a camper store for the sink they will rip you a new one..search craigslist or home depot for a bar sink.

I think it is going to be an awesome Jeper when it is completed! I have thought about doing the same thing once I get done building my rig. After filtering through this thread, I keep noticing weight being brought up. I would definitely try to keep it as light as possible, but if it gets too heavy on the tounge you can always use a light set of equalizer bars. You did say you wouldn't rock crawl with it so binding is not a worry. Put some weight on the axle of the trailer. You are going to have brakes on it so you will be fine. Don't put "tractor" weights and junk on it to make it heavier making it harder to stop. You are going to be surprised in how light the tounge will be after you build your galley in the back and throw the water or gas back there. I would just throw some spacers on the frame where the springs will attach and that will give you the lift you want. Use a 12volt water pump for the water suply and run a lead from your tow vehicle that will charge your battery while you drive.

First off great build and about the sink if your not going to use hot or cold running water why not just grab a Coleman camping sink they lightweight and should store easily in your jeper

Here's an idea for hot water... never tried it though so not sure how it would work. take copper tubing and wrap it around your tow rigs exhaust pipe. then run a hose from the water tank to a pump, through the coiled copper pipe, and to a shower head or whatever. granted you gota run your tow vehicle till it warms up, but exhaust pipes usually get very hot very fast.

Here's an idea for hot water... never tried it though so not sure how it would work. take copper tubing and wrap it around your tow rigs exhaust pipe. then run a hose from the water tank to a pump, through the coiled copper pipe, and to a shower head or whatever. granted you gota run your tow vehicle till it warms up, but exhaust pipes usually get very hot very fast.

Long long ago (in a galaxy far away too!), back in the dreamtime when the Nash was distinguished for its reclining seats, a friend of the family who liked camping invited us over to meet another friend who had fitted out his ~ 1950 Nash as a mini motorhome. He had little cupboards and cabinets mounted here and there, including a drawer for silverware and utensils under the dashboard, and various other features, and one of the things I remember was that he had a little hot water tank in the engine compartment, fed by a heat exchanger coil on the exhaust manifold. He had a little tap in the dashboard, from which he claimed he could get water hot enough for instant coffee. I don't recall whether he bothered with cold running water, but if he did it was separate, and as far as I recall, the hot water tank was placed so that he could open up the heat exchanger when running, and it would thermosiphon, and he regulated it simply by shutting off the flow through the exchanger.

Well here is an update for you guys.
Over the last few weekends I have been working on the front skins. I got both sides done. I'm still thinking about skinning a finder to cover and clean up the doors.
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTAxNTIwMTExODE1MDkuanBn.jpg

bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTAxNTIwMTExODE1MjYuanBn.jpg

I also picked up my axle w/ brakes for 30 Bucks !!!
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTAxNTIwMTExODE1NDkuanBn.jpg

First thing this weekend I needed to find a better way to move it around the shop. So for 25 bucks i put a tongue crank on it with a wheel. Now it's just a push and go. It's temp mounted for now but I think if i keep it all make a mount higher up os nothing will hang down when it's in stow mode.
IMG_9552.jpg

Then it was back to getting the floor done. And it is. I also put supports under the floor to help but I didn't get a pic of that.
IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9562.jpg

From that back
IMG_9563.jpg

I'll prime and seal it later.

Then I started to work on my rear counter top. I mocked it up with a chunk of osb i had.
IMG_9564.jpg

Then made my counter top.
IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

It leaves a nice 4'x 16" space to build my cabinets and draws in.
Also this is how deep it is with me standing at the rear, I think it's a good size. I can reach everything without climbing in it.
IMG_9568.jpg

So next week I'll work on getting the floor in the back done and painted, then I'll keeping working on the rear kitchen. I'm thinking I might put a small sink in it. I'm not sure but I'm thinking maybe. And since I plain on running a 25 gal water tank under it, maybe I'll put a 12v pump and have running water? Anyways thanks for looking...

Awesome project.
I was thinking of doing something similar but haven't come round to it yet.

Cant wait to see how the finished project will look.

First off great build and about the sink if your not going to use hot or cold running water why not just grab a Coleman camping sink they lightweight and should store easily in your jeper

Here is an idea. Put a fresh water tank with a small pump under the counter top you built, say in on the right side when standing facing it. Then put the sink on the left side and put a straight drain tube down through the floorboard and into a repurposed fuel tank. Put a large threaded drain on the bottom of the fuel tank and you have fresh water with a grey water holding tank with a gravity fed dump system.

Such a cool idea... I've always wanted to build a pop-up out of a MJ Long Bed

I havent been active on here for a while. I have had this planned up for a few years not and am just getting around to finally doing it. What i am going to be doing is using the old gastank as a spare tank with pump. then using a water tank that will mount under where you have your shelf in the back along the hatch just to add more weight behind the axle.

As for the roof i am going to be doing a pop up roof with a bed up top for my daughters to sleep. and then going to cut the trans hump out, flatten it and build it upwards to be even with the back part so i have storage compartments for camp gear along with a even sleeping area. Im thinking of building a cabinent thing in the back that will be a kitchenet type thing with a 2 burner stove and a sink ran off a small water pump.

Just throwing some more ideas your way man.

Awesome write up. kudos that you actually did it. when do you expect to be completly done with it :party:

Just an idea, you could incorporate some Solar panels along the roof and on that front panel to power some LED lights on the inside with a small battery. Should take but very little power to run the LED's

Well guys and gals... Good news...all my other projects are done so its back to work on the jeamper....or jeeamper...or campeep....anyways ill start updates as I get going on it.

Back