• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It was a Jeep...built in to a camper... I call it "The JEPER"

You've got me wishing I hadn't sold my old Jeep shell for scrap. Very interesting build. The tongue could easily be used to tie the frame rails together. Then cut out the entire area between the rails and have a dropped floor. And it's not like a pop up roof wouldn't be possible. Might even save some weight.

So quick update for you all. I started on my sub frame and A frame for the trailer. I was working along just great untill I burned up my old (i mean very old) chop saw. Sothat put a hault to it for the week. I will have a new chop saw by next weekend so the build will continue. I hope to have a towable trailer (minus lights, front clip and floor) by sunday. I have lots of pictures to come... thanks DH

So i got alot of work done on the Jeper today. It's now towable!!! well almost I still need to inclose the front and tire lights to it. But other then that i could tow it. I can still lift the front, with the doors on it its getting a little heavy, but I can still lift it a roll it up my drive way. SO here are a few pics of the resent work. I'll replace the floor with 18 gauge, and extend the front out about 6 inchs and cover with Aluminum tread plate. Once thats all done I'll start with the inside. I think with the kitchen setup in the back (behind axle) it will help take some weight off the tounge. It only saged the JK about a inch. Well more to come...
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxMzEwMzMuanBn.jpg

Start of the tounge
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxMzExMDMuanBn.jpg

How it's tied in to the A piller
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxMzEwNDcuanBn.jpg

The tounge
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxNTQ2MTIuanBn.jpg

To the header
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxNTQ2MzIuanBn.jpg

Welds
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxNTQ3MTAuanBn.jpg

More pics
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxMzExNTEuanBn.jpg

Tounge and header tie in to spring mount on both sides
bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEwNjIwMTAxMzExMjkuanBn.jpg

Pintle eye
Image11062010162809.jpg

Image11062010162739.jpg

Outside....
Image11062010163735.jpg

Image11062010163751.jpg

Image11062010163812.jpg

With doors and JK...
Image11062010165228.jpg

Image11062010165200.jpg

Thats how she sets now and it's back to work for 3 days... next I/ll finish the welds for the tounge and then start the floor.

Picked up a 94 ZJ mainly for the 4.0. This build is making me want to make a camper out of it badly. I figure if you make the main cabin a dedicated bed area, and put all your equipment after the rear axle, weight distribution should be good.

ok maybe im a little off. the trailer looks good but i was reading all the fulcrum concerns and i had an idea. what if u were to move the axle forward and mount it to the frame rails kinda like a litll utility trailer is done. i know the wheels wont be in the wheel well but it would give u a little more ground clearance. ive heard guys talking about lifting their off road trailers cuz they always get caught up on stuff. but it does look fine the way u have it already so just an idea.

ok maybe im a little off. the trailer looks good but i was reading all the fulcrum concerns and i had an idea. what if u were to move the axle forward and mount it to the frame rails kinda like a litll utility trailer is done. i know the wheels wont be in the wheel well but it would give u a little more ground clearance. ive heard guys talking about lifting their off road trailers cuz they always get caught up on stuff. but it does look fine the way u have it already so just an idea.

I thought about moveing the axle formard a few inches but I reallt want it to look right. The weights not bad right now, with the doors on I can pick it up and walk around with it. I would say the tongue is about 150lbs Maybe? Not bad, I'm shooting for 15% on the tongue, and once I get the inside done that will help with tongue weight. I'm going ot get a scale and see where shes at this weekend. Thanks for the replys DH

I have a lot mor pics on my photobucket page. Here ya go...http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/downhome4x4/The Jeper/

Now that you have some new structure welded in, do you plan on getting rid of the unibody frame rails? Might need to strengthen where it is welded to the spring mount with the unibody gone, but it would allow for even more interior room and weight loss in the front.

UPDATE?????

UPDATE?????
I don't know why but this made me laugh...

Not really, I'm going to work on getting the floor in this weekend. Once that's done I'll work on the front end. So check back tomarrow night for an update. I'm alos moving my in-laws so that takes alot of my build time right now.

The sleeping area will be 54"x77" so almost a full size bed. I'm 6'1" so I should be good. Thanks DH

I don't know why but this made me laugh...

Not really, I'm going to work on getting the floor in this weekend. Once that's done I'll work on the front end. So check back tomarrow night for an update. I'm alos moving my in-laws so that takes alot of my build time right now.

The sleeping area will be 54"x77" so almost a full size bed. I'm 6'1" so I should be good. Thanks DH

Ooooh, the old in-laws in the ointment. You should convince them that the trailer would make it easier to move them and put them to work helping you complete it, now that would be a win win situation. :pirate1:

Anxious for the next update and to see where you take it from here. Pretty inspiring. This would be perfect for all the weekend camping I like to do.
Thanks, ya we love to go camping too, since I'm off 3 and a half days every week we would like to go alot more then we do but it's a pain to have pack everything all the time. So that has a lot to do with how I'm buildinh this thing. Well off to bed... looj for the update about 5pm tomarrow...DH

Now that you have some new structure welded in, do you plan on getting rid of the unibody frame rails? Might need to strengthen where it is welded to the spring mount with the unibody gone, but it would allow for even more interior room and weight loss in the front.
Sorry missed your question... no I'm going to leave the factory rails there. DH

You might be too far along at this point but have you considered cutting it in half down the middle and adding in some sheet metal and making the whole thing wider? If you replace the rear window with plexi or even just fill it in with sheet metal I think you could make it work and could give you a lot more breathing room in there.

Back