• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it my rear main seal?

Good suggestions. I didn't see them before I got the pan out. I didn't think I could get enough clearance any other way so I detached the bottom shock mounts which allowed a little more droop and it came right out. Hopefully I won't have to do this again any time soon! Now for the fun part...

450,000 km! I thought I was doing good at just over 200,000. You beat me by 80,000 miles.

BTW it looks like I didn't have to pull the steering stab off after all. Detaching the shocks is what really did it.

I gat one thing to say to you all, invest in a UV light, ad dye to the oil & you will know right where the leak is comming from.

OK, I got the rear bearing cap off and removed the RMS. While cleaning up the rear main cap and bearing I noticed a small score 2/3 of the length down the middle of the bearing surface. I haven't heard any strange noises from the engine. Should I be concerned or just bolt it all back together until I rebuild somewhere in the next 50,000 miles? The surface looks good on the crankshaft. Nice reddish-brown crust all over everything else...

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure that the surface of the crankshaft is what you should be worried about, unless the bearing cap is reall messed up and scratched up then it should be fine because the seal is made around the crankshaft. or i could be wrong about this but from what i have been told that is how it is.

I just bolted the damn thing back together. I began to consider replacing main bearings too but why bother? I could end up replacing this and that for a week and still not be done working on this thing! I plan to rebuild/replace/stroke the motor in the next 50,000-100,000 miles anyway. Your reply just makes me feel better about not correcting the slightly scored bearing...thanks! Now that I'm feeling good about it, nobody is allowed to say that it was stupid not to fix it.:D

It's a good thing that I am in love with my Jeep or I would probably drive the thing off of the nearest cliff and be done with it...after I got out of course...cripes, it's time for sleep.:speepin:

Back