• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is anyone running 31s with 3.07 gearing?

Comanchedude said:
Now that’s just bad information, sorry but you "will not" have all the power you could possibly need for the trails
I know from experience that the 31 with 3.07 gear will suck all the power from your Jeep off road.

In 4HI, yes....its pretty much useless offroad. In 4 low, not even close....ive got tons of video of my XJ on 33's with 3.07's doing plenty of fairly hardcore wheeling if youd like some proof??? In 4 low, with careful clutch work, you will lose little to nothing with someone with say, 4.56's....other than youll probably wear out a clutch a little faster. The advantage to re-gearing is that youll make highway driving more pleasureable and will make 5th gear or overdrive useful again....doesnt make a whole heck of a lot of difference in 4 low unless you start running a serious underdrive setup(like a 4:1 or something similar).

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
For 3.55's look at xj's that have an 8.25. What do you have now? If you have a D35, consider getting a D35 with 4.11's that's a non c clip but do be careful as D35's are not too sturdy ;)
I have a 1990 with vac-disco D30 and a D35.

Any axle out of an XJ will bolt right up, correct? I really need to do this on the cheap and easy.

yep i agree. 31's and 3.07's are drivable. but wheelin just forget about 4h and use 4L.

the one thing i hate is hill climbs in the sand pits around me. all my buddy's can do the big ones just fine. but i don't even attempt it. tried it once in 4H for the faster wheel speed. and ended up just bogging out big time. 4L and you don't get enuff wheel speed to travel uphill on loose sand.

bottom line. im regearing.

im running 31 bfg mts with 3.07s and 5th gear wont pull me up a hill. i have to downshift to 4th always. its tolerable though. im sure my roof lights slow me down some too though. and idk if the lack of fender flares does anything. does good enough on the trails around me though.

ChuckD said:
You can drive it and just stay out of OD, but as for wheeling it forget it.
Forget most of what you just read from this guy, I wheel mine all the time and i have 3.07s with 31. I just got 4.11s from a 4cly cherokee so ill see how that is once im done with the swap.

Kejtar said:
Iit sucked with 235's and 3.07's: uphill climbs were terrible.
Ditto x10,000!!!

Because my weekend hunting, camping, skiing, go-to-the-moutains Jeep is also my wife's daily driver it will never have tires larger than the 235/75x15s that are on it right now. Nonetheless, when I had LSDs put in the diffs I got the stock 3.07 gears changed to 3.55s at the same time. I am SOOOOOO glad that I did!!! It drives way, WAAAAAY better now!

I have no idea whose idea it was to put those crappy 3.07 gears in the manual transmission Jeeps, but he should be shot! You may be able to manage for a while with larger tires and the stock gears, but I guarantee you that you will be much, MUCH happier when the day finally comes that you get your Jeep properly geared.

Mambeu said:
I have a 1990 with vac-disco D30 and a D35.

Any axle out of an XJ will bolt right up, correct? I really need to do this on the cheap and easy.
Yup, any axle will bolt up. In your case I would recommend looking for an XJ which had a 2.8L V6 or a 4cylinder. The 2.8 has probably highest chance of having 4.11's. Also it has a non clip D35 which for you would be an upgrade.

Yah uhm.. I am running 3.07's with 33's and 5.5" of lift.. not a problem.. I came over from a YJ with 4.10's and a 4 cyl, 4" lift and 33's.. THAT was not fun on the highway.

I have a 44 in the garage and a HP30 at my buddies that both have 3.55's, so that's the next swap :)

GhostDakota said:
I am running 3.07's with 33's and 5.5" of lift.. not a problem...
That's what you think now, but I guarantee you that if you swap to proper gears for those tires you'll slap yourself and wonder, "why the heck didn't I do that sooner!?!"

Kevlar said:
3.07's are perfectly fine for wheeling with 31's with the manual transmission if you are on a budget. I have done it for 1 1/2 years now and have never felt I didn't have enough power on a trail. 3.07s/31's are fine on the highway, you won't have a lot of passing power but cruising at 110-120 km will be perfectly fine. The only downside to those gears and tires is that your 4HI will be pretty much useless, in 4LO you will have all the power you could possibly need for the trails you would be doing with your chosen lift and tires. You will need to get higher gearing when you get bigger tires though (and you will.....it's only a matter of time :D)

I agree with this...even though I was running with the much hated Puegot 5sp manual I had 3:07s and 31:10.5 BFG ATs...I could keep up with the medium scale offroading ...that is until the crap ass Puegot crumbled...3 times...you think I would have learned earlier...I did last Summer and swapped in an aw4/w 242 and 3:55 fromt and back...yee-haw. anyone need a Puegot on the cheap?

Hell, I ran 33's with 3.07's. ran fine until the first tranny went, I just figured it was past it's time, then the second tranny went,, figured it was me this time..

dmillion said:
That's what you think now, but I guarantee you that if you swap to proper gears for those tires you'll slap yourself and wonder, "why the heck didn't I do that sooner!?!"

Like I said though.. I came from running a 4 banger YJ that could barely keep 55 on the highway. So this is way more than adaquate. But yah I have a 44 and a HP30 both with 3.55's.. They'll be in when I get my act together :)

Jeffro600 said:
Umm, no. 5th gear becomes useless, but mine will still cruise down the highway at 75-80 in 4th gear with 33's and 3.07's.

I use 5th while going down large hills just to make myself feel better. But yah, I have no problem doing 80+ in 4th with the same setup. I don't see why people can't keep it above 55??

I can't IMAGINE 33's and 3.07s....that thing won't pull a greasy string out of a cats butt. :pig:

IMHO, if your going 30's or 31, go 4.11. 32 or 33, 4.56. 35, 4.88.

I got 225's right now with 3.55, Ill be putting on some 235s... but wont go bigger till I regear, which mean I may never afford to go bigger. :)

HTH,
Andrew

Back