• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introduce yourself

hello my name is john. i have a 1993 chop top xj. 4.5in lift 33in. super swamper tsl. custom tube bumpers and full rollcage fab'd by myself. here are a few pics

SDC10772.jpg

SDC10770.jpg

SDC10712.jpg

SDC10497.jpg

SDC10495.jpg

Photo005.jpg

I'm Chris. Just bought my first jeep. Found a deal that I couldn't turn down.

005-1.jpg

about 146,000 miles
4x4
ac and heat work
no knocking or ticking
very minimal rust
Needs new tires and radiator.

Best part of all...
I got her for $350

I'm Chris. Just bought my first jeep. Found a deal that I couldn't turn down.

005-1.jpg

about 146,000 miles
4x4
ac and heat work
no knocking or ticking
very minimal rust
Needs new tires and radiator.

Best part of all...
I got her for $350

:scared::scared::scared:

LUCKY GUY! Welcome! :worship:

:scared: That's an awesome deal. Welcome to NAXJA!

Hey everyone, Just thought i would introduce myself. Im not a jeep guy yet, but ive been on the look out for an XJ for a new daily driver for the winter and hauling stuff i cant in my car.

Now im not well versed in 4x4s, but it wont take me long to understand things. Ive got an 83 BMW 633csi that is my current daily driver/project. I do all the work on the car myself, swapping transmissions, engine work, suspension rebuild/modification, etc. I know how to work on cars and thought a XJ would be a good 4x4 to get myself into!

Anyhow, there is one close to home that i wanna get an opinion on. I know its had some modifications, but some of them are in greek to me, can someone shed some light on this?

This is from the ad, everything in bold is what i dont understand. I know it pertains to the gearing and lifting of the XJ in order for it work better.

Heres the specs
-1998 Cherokee sport 140k
-AW4, 231, hp30, 29spline 8.25, 3.55s
-4" RC springs w" 2" Spacers up front. Rear has Teraflex shackles With two cherokee packs put together. Sits at around 5" I believe.
-RC contol arm drops
- IRO double shear track bar with HD mount
-V8 ZJ tie rod
-Extended brake lines
-"Hack n tap" type SYE with front drive shaft
-Rear TJ flares up front
-I tapered the front bumper sides and capped them off so it looks clean
-(4)33" Good year M/T's. (two of these will need to go very soon)
-(5)Black "d window" wheels
-Engine runs beautifully. does not burn oil. does not leak oil. Oil always changed, fluids kept up on. All the regular maintence stuff has been done.. water pump, oil filter housing o-ring, flushed coolant, good brakes, blah blah
-Transmission Shifts great..never gave me the slightest problem
-Transfer case works flawlessly.
Oil always changed, fluids kept up on.
I also have a ton of spare/stock parts including a trans and xfer case with only 80k
I'm sure I forgot a lot as well..

-Jeff

Welp, the few things that stick out to me are the 29 spline 8.25 rear axle. It is said to be stronger than the 27 spline that most come with. I mean, its only 50 bucks at a junkyard, but you dont have to swap it now :D. The Hack N Tap SYE is great, if he did it right, and the Track bar is great too! Looks good!

Everything else seems to be good.

Before you buy it though...CHECK FOR RUST. Floors, rocker panels, just about everything on the XJ is known to rot out. Also, if he has rear shocks on there (I am assuming he does with 5" of lift, check the upper shock mounts to see what he did with that, cause 9/10 times, when people try to get those bolts out, they snap (like mine :wierd::D)

It looks good though! Welcome to the Jeep world. You will like it here

Hey thanks TYphoon,

sounds like some good tips there for checking the XJs out. Ive heard lots of good things about the Jeep community. the vintage BMW community is great, which is what lead me to start looking at the jeep forums.

cheers,

-Jeff

Heres the specs
-4" RC springs w" 2" Spacers up front. Rear has Teraflex shackles With two cherokee packs put together. Sits at around 5" I believe.
-RC contol arm drops
-V8 ZJ tie rod
-Extended brake lines
-Jeff
What TYphoon said, plus explanations:
* AW4 is the automatic transmission used in the XJ, it's pretty strong and known for lasting forever. Take care of it and it'll do 200 or 300 thousand no problem.
* 231 is the transfer case used - the New Process NP-231 transfer case.
* hp30 is a High Pinion Dana 30 front axle (higher ground clearance than the Low Pinion version, which has the pinion gear+shaft that drive the differential entering the housing below the center line)
* 8.25 refers to a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle. This is better than a Dana 35 rear (nicknamed the turdy-5) but not as good as a Dana 44 or any number of other rear axles people install aftermarket.
* the stuff about spacers and packs put together refers to how the suspension is lifted - 2" spacers above the coil springs in the front, and he pulled apart two leaf spring packs and clamped them into one double thick, extra tall arched pack for each rear spring pack.
* IRO double shear track bar with HD mount = Iron Rock Offroad double shear track bar with a heavy duty mount. The track bar is the bar in the suspension that keeps the front axle from moving side to side. Google will provide a better worded explanation of "double shear" than I can.
* Hack n Tap SYE drive shaft: see this page. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Welcome to the Cherokee world, hopefully!

hey thanks for all the info on that guys, really helps paint a picture for me.

sounds like this xj is put together pretty well. the price is a little higher than what i was looking for, but it comes with extra parts and its well looked after. perhaps itll fit the bill!

also how is the turning radius on these changed by the lift and larger tires? I had a 4" lift on an old ranger a while back with 33s and it sucked the big one...

-Jeff

Hey everyone, Just thought i would introduce myself. Im not a jeep guy yet, but ive been on the look out for an XJ for a new daily driver for the winter and hauling stuff i cant in my car.

Now im not well versed in 4x4s, but it wont take me long to understand things. Ive got an 83 BMW 633csi that is my current daily driver/project. I do all the work on the car myself, swapping transmissions, engine work, suspension rebuild/modification, etc. I know how to work on cars and thought a XJ would be a good 4x4 to get myself into!

Anyhow, there is one close to home that i wanna get an opinion on. I know its had some modifications, but some of them are in greek to me, can someone shed some light on this?

This is from the ad, everything in bold is what i dont understand. I know it pertains to the gearing and lifting of the XJ in order for it work better.

Heres the specs
-RC contol arm drops
-V8 ZJ tie rod
-Extended brake lines
-Rear TJ flares up front
-I tapered the front bumper sides and capped them off so it looks clean
-(4)33" Good year M/T's. (two of these will need to go very soon)
-(5)Black "d window" wheels
-Engine runs beautifully. does not burn oil. does not leak oil. Oil always changed, fluids kept up on. All the regular maintence stuff has been done.. water pump, oil filter housing o-ring, flushed coolant, good brakes, blah blah
-Transmission Shifts great..never gave me the slightest problem
-Transfer case works flawlessly.
Oil always changed, fluids kept up on.
I also have a ton of spare/stock parts including a trans and xfer case with only 80k
I'm sure I forgot a lot as well..

-Jeff

Do you go to psu? sounds like a nice jeep too...as far as turning radius, it doesnt suck. I have 32's, and its not bad at all

hey thanks for all the info on that guys, really helps paint a picture for me.

sounds like this xj is put together pretty well. the price is a little higher than what i was looking for, but it comes with extra parts and its well looked after. perhaps itll fit the bill!

also how is the turning radius on these changed by the lift and larger tires? I had a 4" lift on an old ranger a while back with 33s and it sucked the big one...

-Jeff

The turning radius will change some, but not much, and even with 33's it will still have 100 times better radius then the ranger...

Back