• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you know this XJ?

It started! It’s running good and sounds great.

One thing though... The reason I got this XJ cheap because the previous owner said the transmission is bad and it needs a new water pump. He had a new water pump that he gave me when I picked it up.......

That being said... One thing I did not check was the coolant before I started the truck. When we first started it, it had a loud random clucking noise. We thought it must have something to do with the tranny since it was supposedly bad..... Not too long after starting it (5 mins or so) the engine started to heat up and I shut it down. Because it heated up, we checked for coolant and it was bone dry. After that we thought the sound may have been the bad dry water pump. So we filled it up with 50/50 and After we started it up again, it was completely quiet.... Starts fast, runs smooth, sounds great with the exhaust it has….

I then took it out for a spin to see what the problem with the tranny was, and didn’t notice anything odd going on....It shifted into every gear just fine, even when I got on it. We did see that the water pump is leaking a bit so it will need to be replaced, but nothing else seems to be wrong with the engine or tranny.
What we are thinking happened was this guy ran it out of coolant and either himself or someone else came to the conclusion that the loud noise it was making was coming from the transmission…. I don’t know but there doesn’t appear to be a problem… I think I am going to take it to a transmission shop to have it looked at to see if there is some issue I am not noticing.
What are your thoughts?

Agreed. Take it out put it thro sone runs in low and high gears and see what ya notice. Whats trans fluid look like?

Back