• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

International to buy Jeep Brand

YJ-GENRAL

NAXJA Forum User
i am hearing rumors that International will be buying the Jeep brand when Chrysler gets taken over by GM.... rumor has it that the compass, patriot, and commander will be dropped off the production line and the liberty will be redesigned and take on the name Cherokee US and abroad.

also in the works would be a travel-all 4 door and a new scout 2door in the lineup

Yeah, they're also re-launching AMC

I think its an april fool's joke but i think it would take the company back to its roots!

Yep I think it is too. Too bad because that could be a good marriage. International, several years ago, was looking to get back into that market.

A article in the new JP magazine seems to think it's true. They stated that there will be desiel options for most jeep models, and a rubicon series for all models.

I think it's safe to say that someone will buy the Jeep brand within the next few years. Chrysler is going to be forced to simplify their model line in a very short time frame.
I think they will keep a small suv (nitro?), a couple of cars and a crossover or two (in addition to their trucks). Even with gas prices as volatile as they are their trucks are still very popular and unless Nissan backs out Chrysler is scheduled to produce the next Gen of Titans starting late this year or next year.

I think we will see the Jeep brand sold to a foreign maker, or possibly a joint venture between Chrysler-Fiat and another company. I wouldn't rule out Hyundai or a similar mid range maker aquiring it if they can raise the capital needed.

The International story is totally a joke.

Last edited:
You wouldve done heard it on the news by now if there was any truth to it...

And I doubt JP would get soul rights to cover the news about it either.

Releasing the KJ as a Cherokee and a solid front axle, bombing the Commander, Compass, and Patriot. Doubt it.

Also, if Chysler merged with GM say bye bye to the Dakota, Ram, and charger. They compete with several of GM's models too.

You guys just ruined my night. I read that article earlier and was filled with hope for the jeep name. Selling it to a foreign manufacturer is almost worse than chrysler owning them. But I guess you can't get much worse than the concepts they've been coming out with lately.

Also, if Chysler merged with GM say bye bye to the Dakota, Ram, and charger. They compete with several of GM's models too.

I never understood the concept of a merger between GM and Chrysler. It's like someone who can't swim(GM) grabbing hold of someone who can't swim and is unconscious(Chrysler)to attempt to stay afloat.

I can see where they could share technology. I also believe that would be of limited value considering the two companies. Sure, Chrysler would benefit from being able to outfit a couple of small models with with Ecotec motors and who wouldn't want to see a truck with a Cummins engine/Allison tranny combo, but there's just not enough depth there.

If for some reason there were to be a merger I believe most of Chrysler's smaller models would be axed, but the Ram has too much of a fan base.

I think the only ones who wants to see GM and Chrylser merge would be Toyota and Ford.

As for Jeep, looking at how Chrylser has bastardized the brand within the last decade, I really doubt that any new company ownership other than maybe SmartCar would be more of a step in the wrong direction.

Lets recap the downward spiral

Mid 80s-We get the XJ, MJ and YJ. A very good decade.

Early 90s-They kill off the fullsizes:mad:, but the above mentioned get better
(except the MJ, which goes byebye:bawl:)and we get the Grand
("Hey guys, do you think we could stick a V8 in that").

Mid/Late 90s-The TJ, the XJ gets 29splines and cupholders and in '98 we
get a the ZJ with 360.

2000+-Aside from the TJ/JKs, which got the Rubicon and Unlimited
(both versions), we got:
-XJ killed off
-They forget to put the SA in the Grand during
production.
-Compass, Liberty, Liberty part 2, Patriot,
Commander
-Trail Rated badges for the above
-Did I mention they killed off the XJ.

It's time for Chrylser to stop dragging Jeep down with it.
The Prosecution rests:lecture:

1/15/2009
http://en.apa.az/news.php?id=95347
"What was reported -- that we’re in discussions to sell the Jeep brand -- is absolutely false," Chrysler vice president Tom LaSorda said in a teleconference with reporters.
"We will not separate the brands from the company," he added.
Under an agreement with the US government, the privately owned Chrysler received a four billion dollar loan from the US Treasury in early January to help stay afloat amid plunging US auto sales.
LaSorda pointed out that the government loan deal stipulates "any transaction over 100 million (dollars) requires approval."

I'm calling BS.:bunny:

i had a guy tell me about this today...
said the compass, patriot and commander would be dropped...
and the liberty, and grand would see solid axles...

...but who knows what's gonna happen, atleast its something interesting to think about.

I was reading that along with the rest of the articles in JP and they seemed to hint around it being an april fools prank by bringing up past april fools gags they've done in the same fashion. Major disappointment!

Unfortunately I really doubt we'll be seeing any newcomers or resurrections in the auto industry for the next decade or so unless it's a company that only offers electric or hydrogen cell vehicles.
I mean, who in their right mind would think they could make any money selling anything that burns gas or diesel right now. Creditors would laugh their ass off at anyone looking for money to start a new auto company or to bring an old, dead one back. Especially if they were even considering making anything that would be of interest to any of us.
I think the only new maker we will see in the states in the next few years will be Mahindra. From what I've heard/read they discovered last year that they would need twiice as many dealers as they originally thought and then by October a large chunk of the dealers that had already signed on had backed out.

I keeping my fingers crossed for a straight from dealer XJ sized rig with 9inch diffs front and rear, dual lockers and a high torque/horsepower engine that runs on illegals.

To be hauled back and forth with a new PowerWagon/SuperDuty sized truck with lockers, dual winches and a 100mile/10year bumper to bumper warranty with no fine print. Powered by a big block that runs on politicians. You'd need a hell of a fuel tank but it'd totally be worth it. Give me these two and I don't care if it says International on the grill or Obama Motors.

Back