• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intarwebznet-speak rant

True, but there are very good reasons for the foreshortening of words under Morse, and even then there was some sort of standard. This "standard" persists even now as used by radio amateurs. It is not a polymorphic language, and it is done to expedite communications where transmission speeds typically do not exceed 30 words per minute, and the transmission of a single character requires one to eight motions of the key operator's hand.

"l337" comes from a desire to circumvent regulations of SysOps and such - and these are regs that are typically conceived for a very necessary version of CMA - given the standards of proof of the various "conspiracy" statutes. It is depressingly easy to prove "conspiracy" under the law, which makes it very necessary to take extreme measures to cover your own backside if you run any sort of message board.

Foreshortening under Morse makes sense - it increases transmission efficiency. "l337sp34k" isn't a means to make communications more efficient - it's a corruption of online language used to set apart a community - or a subcommunity. Unfortunately, it seems to have fallen out of use among true hackers and it's typically seen in use among "script kiddies" and wannabe "phone phreaks."

Go figure.

5-90

Captain Ron said:
Pre dates all that by 80 years, or more.

The original "key", was morse, as it was the original "digital" mode.

News agencies shorthand via morse was even more cyptic than TXT.

Ever try to decipher morse weather from the former KMI CG station, or WWV?

--ron

5-90 said:
Foreshortening under Morse makes sense - it increases transmission efficiency. "l337sp34k" isn't a means to make communications more efficient - it's a corruption of online language used to set apart a community - or a subcommunity. Unfortunately, it seems to have fallen out of use among true hackers and it's typically seen in use among "script kiddies" and wannabe "phone phreaks."

I think there are two reasons for this. Firstly, the 3l337 speak is mostly unreadable; even when you know the context etc when viewing at a future time.

The second, and I think the more relevant, reason for it to fall out of favour is because there is a certain amount of pretentousness that comes with this type of dialect. Anyone that really knows what they are doing doesn't need to wrap their prose in a layer of pseudo-coolness.

Also, for sysadmins that have been around forever, fast typing rates and lots of storage space makes trimming down messages a non-consideration.

Besides, would you trust code that is generated by someone that types this way? Syntax/grammar is important. It would be dfferent if they were consistently using the dialect the same way. Try matching the patterns of what you can find through sed/awk - it'll come out garbage.

JMT :)

r@m

Edit: p.s. I should add - shortening Morse makes sense - it is consistent AND makes sense in that context both from content and transmission of data point of views.

Last edited:
Not meaning to bust your chops but... how is that different when you have your handle name "not" spelled correctly? ----> Lawn Cher' :confused:

:viking:

Lawn Cher' said:
That was funny, Rich. I don't think I'm going to adopt that term though. As a staunch supporter of spelling, capitalization, grammar and punctuation, I just can't see myself exclaiming "w00t!" "kewl" or the like.

Isn't 'cher' french for love ??? :laugh3:

I think Cher' rather than Chair implies Cajun roots.

wescam said:
I think Cher' rather than Chair implies Cajun roots.

He's from long island, just moved down south a few months ago, besides, arn't cajuns french indian anyway ???

Cajuns are french-mixed with a bunch of races, at least according to my ex-wife (miss her red beans and rice, but that's about it).

Anyway, I figure it's a play on words, heh.

It is short for Cherokee, duh. A play on words.

oops missed that one, duh

anyway, down south it ain't

but I should have figured it

/smack forehead

No problem, mon cher'. :kissyou:

:laugh2:

Last edited:
dogtired said:
Not meaning to bust your chops but... how is that different when you have your handle name "not" spelled correctly? ----> Lawn Cher'
There is a valid rationale for the way Lawn Cher' spells his screen name (it's a pun), but basically it is HIS screen name, and therefore how he spells it is his choice. It's extremely poor form for anyone to question how someone who has been on the forum a LOT longer spells his/her screen name.

Eagle said:
There is a valid rationale for the way Lawn Cher' spells his screen name (it's a pun), but basically it is HIS screen name, and therefore how he spells it is his choice. It's extremely poor form for anyone to question how someone who has been on the forum a LOT longer spells his/her screen name.

Hey eagle, go back to bed, lay down and roll over twice, three times if it's a kingsize bed, then get up.... :laugh3: :wave:

Lawn Cher' said:
As a staunch supporter of spelling, capitalization, grammar and punctuation, I just can't see myself exclaiming "w00t!" "kewl" or the like.
Me, too, Lawn Cher'.
It's sad when many foreigners can speak and write better than an inordinate number of folks who grew up and received their education here in the U.S.

This 'net speak is so 733t........for 12 year olds. I agree that much of what we see on the forums such as ur for your or you're or 4 for four or for, for example, is a matter of laziness (Try saying that five times real fast). :laugh3:

RichP said:
Isn't 'cher' french for love ??? :laugh3:

Not quite... 'Amour' is love; 'cher' is dear, as in 'my dear' - 'mon cher'.

Eagle said:

Hmm, I didn't know I did a faux pau (spelling?). No offense. :wave:

dogtired said:
Hmm, I didn't know I did a faux pau (spelling?). No offense. :wave:

I wasn't offended, it was a valid question. I certainly dish out enough crap around here, I can take some ribbing.

Back