• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing a 241 Rock-trac T-case from Rubicons

car-part.com, check 'em out...links and searches hundreds of inventories to auto recyclers all over us and canada. saw 4 241or is san diago the other day.

good luck!

Cipey

car-part.com, check 'em out...links and searches hundreds of inventories to auto recyclers all over us and canada. saw 4 241or is san diago the other day.

good luck!

Cipey

I found a slight setback in the 241's the other day, but it may not bother some people. You have to be in motion to shift the Transfer case at all, either from 2Wd into 4wd or vice versa. I'm not sure how much this would bother me, but I don't think I like it.

XJ98Jeep said:
I found a slight setback in the 241's the other day, but it may not bother some people. You have to be in motion to shift the Transfer case at all, either from 2Wd into 4wd or vice versa. I'm not sure how much this would bother me, but I don't think I like it.

Not sure where you've heard this ? I've had my 241 in for over two years now and it operates no differently than the 231 it replaced. It will go right into 4hi when stopped, maybe requiring a slight movement to get 4lo....

XJ98Jeep said:
Yeap,whats new about that compared to a std 231.No issues here!

Hm, that's odd. I put it in 4HI in my friend's TJ, and we couldn't get it to shift into anything else until we drove it in 4hi for a little while.

I recently installed a NV241OR in my 2001 XJ.
I bought it on e-bay $750. I would not even consider the tera low 4:1 kit for the 231.
I run 37's with the big ford calipers up front and Eldorado calipers on the rear D60, stock booster and MC. My brakes are great and I have no problem even in low on steep hills.
I run the T&T Customs long arm kit and I had to modify the belly pan because the NV241 hangs down a bit lower than the 231. I did not have to make any modifications to the tranny tunnel.
The linkage hooked up and only required a small adjustment. It shifts just fine, better than the original 231 actually.
The speedo sensor was exactly the same and just plugged in, I think this is true for 97 and up. The 4wd dash light connector was not the same, I need to get the TJ rubicon connector.
The NV241 Tcase has a 23 spline input shaft that connects up to the tranny. So any XJ 1992 or newer should be a direct bolt up. I understand 1991 can be 21 or 23 spline.
I have the AW4 auto and on the trail I find I'm running in 3 a lot, in 1 the jeep is barely moving at 3k rpm.
It is a very good value compared to the high cost of an Atlas or Stak.
Write-up with pictures are in the build thread in my sig.

Whats the output yoke like on the 241? Since it has no slip yoke can I run a stock front auto driveshaft?

Whats the output yoke like on the 241? Since it has no slip yoke can I run a stock front auto driveshaft?

No, you will need to buy 1310 CV yokes front and rear.

Tom woods wells them for $75 each.

The ones that come from jeep and say rubicon on them.

I don't know if anyone who's tried to put a 2007+ rubicon 241 into an xj, but they appear to be the same (different yokes, which you'd have to replace anyways).

Stock is a 1330 front and a companion flange in the rear.Ive got 1330's front and rear on mine.

Back