• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inline filter for snorkel

coldforge

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made a filter housing or found one that replaces the stock filter housing, used for a snorkel? I was thinking about using a 1998 4.6 ford mustang housing cut the end lip off and hooking the intake hose to that. Has anyone done a write up of one i have been looking for hours

I did a write up awhile ago on installing a donaldson airbox with a safari snorkel. Just search for donaldson + airbox and posts started by me and you should find it. I found it but i'm not sure how to post the link

Dingo

I did a write up awhile ago on installing a donaldson airbox with a safari snorkel. Just search for donaldson + airbox and posts started by me and you should find it. I found it but i'm not sure how to post the link

Dingo

How did that work out for you? was it worth it?

I'm going to do this as well. My stock air box is set up so that the inlet comes in from the bottom and the air tube has to run just in front of the tire. My 35's eat that tube up every time I go wheelin. I want to come in from the side next to the ECU. I have looked at cars in the junk yard and it seems Ford likes to use the round air boxes more than other manufacturers.

I'm going to do this as well. My stock air box is set up so that the inlet comes in from the bottom and the air tube has to run just in front of the tire. My 35's eat that tube up every time I go wheelin. I want to come in from the side next to the ECU. I have looked at cars in the junk yard and it seems Ford likes to use the round air boxes more than other manufacturers.

that one i posted higher up does the same thing and you can move the inlet and outlet to where ever you want and a cone filter

Thats not too bad of a price for that air box. However, It would be interesting to see the same approach but using an old army ammo box. Shouldn't be hard to do and the boxes do have a sealed lid.

Yeah, all the inline filter kits are around 350 and i didnt even think of a ammo can there everywhere. Ill look up the measuments since im looking right at one.:read:

Thats not too bad of a price for that air box. However, It would be interesting to see the same approach but using an old army ammo box. Shouldn't be hard to do and the boxes do have a sealed lid.
good idea!!

Since you brought that up I was thinking of maybe having one hole run a hose to the snorkel and then a hose at the end to run up to the front of the grill with a open and close valve on it for highway use

Here is a couple of pic's of what i did....... less turns/bent.. used an elbow and seal up the front of the box.. no issues with tire rubbing on tube like safari snorkels...

380650114.jpg

380650055.jpg

380649985.jpg

ok well when i get home soon i will do a write up but my plan is to have it down on its side with the lid facing the engine. Have the intake hose run from the back. Im going to use a amsoil filter with the open top
Base OD of 6"
Flange ID of 3"
Media Height of 9"

so that leaves me 1.5" on each side with 2 1/2 length

What my plan is to move the snorkel hose along the edge of the fender to a 90" connected to the housing becuase the intake will be on the back side then cut a hole in the fornt of the housing to run a connected hose form teh filter to the grill where i will have a wide open end, right where the hose comes to the housing make a close vavle for deep water but if i put the hose at a angle the water shouldnt reach the air housing nor choak the engine because it will start getting its air from the snorkel only. Then after use my heat spray and wrap to coat the box and the hoses. What do you guys think?

On the ammo box there are two popular sizes. The larger one looks like it will work better as it is wider.

I'm thinking about the smaller size, water tight, ammo box from Northern Tool and use a cone filter like the small APC. I have been researching this filter and can not find any info on whether or not it flow enough air for the 4.0.

I have sourced all of the 3" connections/hose from Camping World (rv sewage pipe elbows and flanges)

I'm trying to free up some room for a second battery for the winch.

Back