• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Look at the heater hoses, there should be a 'by-pass hose' before the firewall. These things are notorious for having poor heat. You need to blow out the heater core almost seasonally. I've been removing that bypass hose and plugging it as coolant will always flow past the heater core instead of through it.

Maybe this is what i need to do to our 2002 taurus before i replace the heater core. I already flushed the heater core out and flushed the entire system but still have very low heat. May take that bypass out and see if it helps.

Maybe this is what i need to do to our 2002 taurus before i replace the heater core. I already flushed the heater core out and flushed the entire system but still have very low heat. May take that bypass out and see if it helps.

Easiest way to do it while still maintaining a 'by-pass' (to prevent engine overheating) is use a hose clamp at the middle of the by-pass and tighten it up in winter. It will still allow some coolant through, but raise the pressure and flow through the core.

Use clr in just the heater core. Then use compressed air to blow it out in reverse. Make sure you have the inlet hose in a container so it doesn't get everywhere

Look at the heater hoses, there should be a 'by-pass hose' before the firewall. These things are notorious for having poor heat. You need to blow out the heater core almost seasonally. I've been removing that bypass hose and plugging it as coolant will always flow past the heater core instead of through it.

I have a MAC scanner that does a ABS and the sorts, but it wont do manfac specific things. Getting itchy to pull trigger on a Modis or something similar soon...

2V are better IMO. I'd rather deal with blowing threads out of a 2v than breaking plugs in a 3v. How many miles? Might be a good idea to pull front cover and looking at timing components. Might be surprise at how much, or how little of the chain guides are left and the oil powered chain tensioners are always leaking.
167k on the 5.4l. According to the dealer it had plugs changed at 102k just before I got it.
Thanks for the help everyone, I figured its something rather simple, but getting a misfire on one side and a lean error on the other side made me wonder what was going on.

Ford used a special metal in the heater cores of 00s Tauruses (Taurii?) that turns coolant into brown sludge in a heartbeat. When I worked in the shop I spent hours flushing cooling systems every year in late fall to try to get heat out of them. CLR soak works pretty well, but once it starts you have to flush it every year or it will crud up again.

Yea the stuff I flushed out of the heater core of our Taurus was brown and looked like mud. May try and do the CLR and see if that helps any. Just let it sit and break all that stuff up.

Man I had an 03 ****aurus (it's nick name) from 05-07...never had any issue, great car.

mac 'sounds like it was a good sell' gyvr

funny. I have a 5.4 e350 in the shop now that is missing but not throwing a code and I was going to start messing with the coils. I need one of those scanners that I can just press a button to shut one coil down at a time to narrow down where its coming from. I'm too fat to be messing around in the dog house.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Most good scan tools have a Global side that is just a very basic system that will allow you to pull codes and get basic live data. Each area within there is will be labeled mode 1-9 I think. It might not have all of them. If you dig around in there you'll find mode 6. This is what the computer reads before it throws a fault code. In there you will find a bunch of letters and numbers. If you click on them it will tell you what they are actually are like egr flow or tps. It will also show you the number of faults since codes were cleared and the number allowed before it sets a code.

Scroll down until you get to 53- A or some are in there as 1A-9a. That'll be misfire inputs. It will tell you the cyl number and sometimes a total mis counter. Scroll through it and It'll will give you large number usually like 26,000 which will be the number aloud and another number that will be number of misfires. If there aren't any misfires on that cyl it'll show a 0. If there's a miss it'll show how many it has had.

It's not super accurate but it gets you in the area. Sometimes you'll feel the mis and it still won't pick it up in mode 6. What also sucks is if the codes get cleared it erases the data. I use it right before I start swapping coils. There's more that can be done with it but that's all I have found that is useful.

We have an OTC Genysis, Modus Ultra and Solus. We have the ford IDS software and pass through but we don't use it very much.

Last edited:
I don't have one at all. Most of my fleet are old emission diesels so it is very rare that I would even need one but when I do it would be nice to have.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Most good scan tools have a Global side that is just a very basic system that will allow you to pull codes and get basic live data. Each area within there is will be labeled mode 1-9 I think. It might not have all of them. If you dig around in there you'll find mode 6. This is what the computer reads before it throws a fault code. In there you will find a bunch of letters and numbers. If you click on them it will tell you what they are actually are like egr flow or tps. It will also show you the number of faults since codes were cleared and the number allowed before it sets a code.

Scroll down until you get to 53- A or some are in there as 1A-9a. That'll be misfire inputs. It will tell you the cyl number and sometimes a total mis counter. Scroll through it and It'll will give you large number usually like 26,000 which will be the number aloud and another number that will be number of misfires. If there aren't any misfires on that cyl it'll show a 0. If there's a miss it'll show how many it has had.

It's not super accurate but it gets you in the area. Sometimes you'll feel the mis and it still won't pick it up in mode 6. What also sucks is if the codes get cleared it erases the data. I use it right before I start swapping coils. There's more that can be done with it but that's all I have found that is useful.

We have an OTC Genysis, Modus Ultra and Solus. We have the ford IDS software and pass through but we don't use it very much.

Live from Keystone, Colorado. Been a great trip since Thursday, but gotta head home Monday.....then back to the real world.

Enjoying sitting on bags of frozen peas...

mac 'we barely put a tree up this year' gyvr

Sounds like the good life right there Matt. Just sitting back and relaxing. Wish I knew what that was. I can't sit still for that long.

I unfortunately had a few months of prep earlier this year...

mac 'this time less pain and 1/10th the time off' gyvr

So is the ********** going to drop any executive orders tonight? Ordered 10 30rd mags today just incase

So what happened? I had more important things to do, like take a crap. Probably was the same type of message.

Back