• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I am a fan of the punji pits....but not an overly safe idea with a 6 year old out running around :D

I was thinking, if mac and I stood side by side and ran in place for 15 minutes, would that be hot mac n cheese?

why run? you and mac standing next to each other side by side is already hot mac and cheese

SAM'lastara'SET

I know there are a few here that have stripped an XJ down to the shell( no interior, axles, tires, hood, fenders, doors, tailgate, etc) and i now that each yard has different prices that change overs years. BUT what would be a good guesstimate that it would bring in in scrap?

For me it all depends on what the scrap yard is paying per ton. I won't bring in anything if it is less then $175.00 a ton for sheet iron/junk vehicles. Less than that it is not worth my time, it will either sit in the driveway or in the back yard.:D

Last time I brought in an xj shell I think I recieved a check for around $85.00 at $195.00 a ton. The shell was something around 750lbs I believe, I don't remember off hand 100%

Last edited:
why would you want to strip it down to the shell? keep in mind that you're getting scrap prices for all the plastic and carpet in such that you leave in the vehicle, and around here we can have up to 5 tires in the vehicle and get the same price. Oh, and don't forget the hose down the carpet before you go :D

why would you want to strip it down to the shell? keep in mind that you're getting scrap prices for all the plastic and carpet in such that you leave in the vehicle, and around here we can have up to 5 tires in the vehicle and get the same price. Oh, and don't forget the hose down the carpet before you go :D

not my current XJ its my parts junk in the garage.

currently its sitting with no hood, doors, fenders, or grill. most easy to get to engine stuff has been taken out and the trans is garbage. transfer case and drivshafts are gone and gate will be gone. front seats are gone and front carpet to. steering column will be gone along with a couple other here and there's. planned on pulling d30/8.25 out just to have a couple spares lying around.

BUT i don't have a trailer so i was wondering after i did all this how would i get it out of my garage and to the yard. the thought of renting was brought up so i wondered what the offset in price was.

or would it be smarter to leave the axles on and drag it to the yard?

i went out to go to work this morning and there was a nice puddle on the ground towards the front of the xj...there was a clear oily goo dripping off of my pitman arm. so im glad the wife is out of town so i can drive her car. i didn't look too close, but im 99% sure that its power steering fluid. i have no idea yet if its a hose or not, but it looks like a durango box might be in my future

i went out to go to work this morning and there was a nice puddle on the ground towards the front of the xj...there was a clear oily goo dripping off of my pitman arm. so im glad the wife is out of town so i can drive her car. i didn't look too close, but im 99% sure that its power steering fluid. i have no idea yet if its a hose or not, but it looks like a durango box might be in my future

Good upgrade, I love mine! But I am noticing slop in the steering now, so I may get another... All depends on how many miles it has when you get it... Or buy a new one... :S

Three days in a row of vet visits...

Got a virus going around the house...the only one that hasn't got it yet is Jaxxon...so I assume that will be tomorrow...

Tho today they didn't charge us for the visit, just checked rocky and gave us the same meds that jake and kayla already have...

mac 'think the vet is tired of seeing us' gyvr

I would really like to find a nice, present-day curriculum for Small Engines... I'm fighting a battle with overheads and VHS tapes... But of course I have no $$$ to purchase a curriculum kit from, lets say Briggs, etc...

99SJ 'Almost want to drop Sm Engines from the Curriculum' Ex

I would really like to find a nice, present-day curriculum for Small Engines... I'm fighting a battle with overheads and VHS tapes... But of course I have no $$$ to purchase a curriculum kit from, lets say Briggs, etc...

dont do it man!!! small engine repair is a lost art. these days a guy could make a killing around here just doing small engine repair out of his garage if you have the time. i would love to have my own outboard shop, but time and lack of knowledge holds me back

dont do it man!!! small engine repair is a lost art. these days a guy could make a killing around here just doing small engine repair out of his garage if you have the time. i would love to have my own outboard shop, but time and lack of knowledge holds me back

it is a lost art.....i fix jet skis for a living but it applies to atv's and dirtbikes etc. Many of the principles are similar but small engines are very different animals.

....now all i need is a side by side to tear apart and ill know more about them...mainly im more concerned with the inner workings of the fuel injection and the bigger cvt transmissions

2 stroke direct injection is a short lived strange animal...tear apart a sea doo DI boat sometime...weird shit...2 sets of fuel injectors for a 2cyl motor.

small engines are fun

The John Deere dealer I work part time for is always needing good small engine techs. Hardly anyone knows how to work on them anymore. Our lawn & garden/ATV techs stay just as busy or busier than the ag guys.

I don't want to, but the fact of the matter is the curriculum is outdated/incomplete/missing/degrading (VHS), the companies aren't in positions to donate now like they used to be, so I'm kind of SOL... If all I was teaching was autos and small engines, it wouldn't be a problem cause I would have time to hunt and gather, however I have 5 different subjects over the year and for some, multiple levels, of those classes...

Autos: A, B, C
Small Engines: A, B
PLTW Principles of Engineering
PLTW Digital Electronics
Introduction to Robotic

Makes it very difficult to spend a good deal of time on any subject... Sorry to vent, just starting to get answers from the administration other than 'yes' for what I want to do...

99SJ 'Frustrated' Ex

Last edited:
In my part of the world,a good road side/traveling diesel mechanic can make 6 figures. I have a buddy that did it for years but is now a custom hire mech due to having a family and not wanting to be called out at 3AM in the ice to work on a truck 60 miles away. He still pulls down some great money. We have 2 types of diesel mechs at our JD and Case dealers..good, and suck. Nothing in between.

Cheese "learning more everyday myself" Man

Got my 5 year recognition today. Its a gold Cummins logo pin with a sapphire in it. It is actually a week anda half or so away but they went ahead and gave me my pin.

Get a hold of briggs/s and ask them to sponsor you some engines.

Worth a phone call, worst they can say is no.

Back