• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

My Uncle is in Maurice, LA. He's packed up and left already. He's headed north, how far is TBD. He may end up here before it's all said and done, who knows.

Be safe man.

goodburbon said:
I'm back on land. Tying down anything that has the potential to fly, This one looks like it is gonna hurt. I'm likely to be offline for several days at a minimum. We're currently living in a double wide. We'll go to my parents and hang tight there for the storm. My in laws live in New Iberia, it looks like the storm is gonna hit there and take a day to get the 30 miles from there to here. It's weird looking at everything and realizing that there is a great probability that Come monday I may not see it again. Grabbing the irreplacable stuff and running.

For reference I am just north of Lafayette, Louisiana. The gas stations are almost all out of gas, there isn't a generator or sheet of plywood to be had for a hundred miles.

Just saw it rolled over cuba and didn't slow down. Starting to get scary, katrina was a 3 and this one might be a 5?

The mississippi might take that city for good this time.

I drove through Maurice at 6am this morning, it is about 20 miles south of me. Aside from an unusual amount of traffic all was well there. Traffic is getting silly now. Contra flow is to begin at 2am AFAIK.

Update.

Shouldn't be that bad, storm is only a cat 2 now. and a cat 1 by the time it gets here.

Clean up will still be a pain, but we're not likely to lose anything major. It's getting a little breezy here and the rain is starting to come down.

Where exactly are you at Burbon?

Sad thing is, since the storm didn't hit New Orleans, we won't hear squat about it on the news from here on out.

Glad you guys are ok.

IllianaXJ said:
Sad thing is, since the storm didn't hit New Orleans, we won't hear squat about it on the news from here on out.

Glad you guys are ok.

Yeah, most of the people around here are not the " oh gosh something is wrong, the government has to help us" type.

Rita is the forgotten hurricane, destroyed many more square miles, flooded millions of acres, Wiped Cameron, Louisiana off the map and caused just as much if not more damage to the oil platforms. The only difference is there aren't 300k people, mostly minority, who are dependant upon the government for their well being in the path, but instead 300,000 people spread out over 150 miles of coast who take care of themselves.

glad to here the storm got downgraded. Another Katrina is just what the gulf coast does not need

goodburbon said:
Yeah, most of the people around here are not the " oh gosh something is wrong, the government has to help us" type.

Rita is the forgotten hurricane, destroyed many more square miles, flooded millions of acres, Wiped Cameron, Louisiana off the map and caused just as much if not more damage to the oil platforms. The only difference is there aren't 300k people, mostly minority, who are dependant upon the government for their well being in the path, but instead 300,000 people spread out over 150 miles of coast who take care of themselves.
Those are the people that I'd share a beer with, and lend a hand.

Those with sense of entitlement, not so much.

It kills me that a lot of those people down there expected the government to drop everything and help them. The ones who are out their "hustlin" by selling crack, coke, pot, robbing, stealing, and killing for no apparent reason. Then they use all off the welfare money they get to put 26's on a busted ass car. They have the Audacity to say well you weren't there for us. If i could have made it down there to help the people who deserve it you are god damn right i would have been there helping. Katrina was a huge tragedy but people need to realize you can't help someone who won't help themselves

FlexdXJ said:
It kills me that a lot of those people down there expected the government to drop everything and help them. The ones who are out their "hustlin" by selling crack, coke, pot, robbing, stealing, and killing for no apparent reason. Then they use all off the welfare money they get to put 26's on a busted ass car. They have the Audacity to say well you weren't there for us. If i could have made it down there to help the people who deserve it you are god damn right i would have been there helping. Katrina was a huge tragedy but people need to realize you can't help someone who won't help themselves

That's an awesome stereotype you have there.

Rev Den said:
This weekend just goes to show that some of my best friends I have met due to this site.

Rev

We need details Rev. Did you finally get Sean to give you a reach-around?

So you did get a reach around......

I've got to get to Durand......:D

IllianaXJ said:
Unfortunately it's true.

DITTO

I read where Nawlins is now making 125% of pre-Katrina Revenue,
with only 75% of the population.
less people making mo money.
what does that tell you?

BOB

Back