• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

How many miles a year would you drive this new(er) vehicle?

mac 'I get tired of working on old crap too' gyvr

There are pluses and minus's to it, but you could consider a lease.

You can negotiate lease deals, including yearly miles and the payment.

Drive a new truck for half the payment of buying it. Get a new one every 3 or 4 years. You can still customize it, add things.

You know the buy out in the end if your want to buy it.

Only make the payment, put gas in it and change the oil for 3 years.

If you stay under the miles, you'll never be upside down in it.

mac 'It's a glorified rental car, but its nice to drive nice.' gyvr

Not sure what they are now, but used car interest rates were almost as low as new when we bought our ‘12 Suburban 3 years ago. I doubt I’ll ever buy new again. You’re upside down as soon as you pull off the lot if you finance 80% or more. Here’s some interesting reading on used cars:
https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-to-buy-a-used-car

My $0.02, leasing a vehicle is the biggest rip-off out there. You make years of payments with nothing to show for it at the end.

Not sure what they are now, but used car interest rates were almost as low as new when we bought our ‘12 Suburban 3 years ago. I doubt I’ll ever buy new again. You’re upside down as soon as you pull off the lot if you finance 80% or more. Here’s some interesting reading on used cars:
https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-to-buy-a-used-car

My $0.02, leasing a vehicle is the biggest rip-off out there. You make years of payments with nothing to show for it at the end.

Dave Ramsey would never recommend buying a Jeep and modifying it and doing what we do with that, so there's that...

Driving a new vehicle every 3 years is something to show for leasing. If you are always going to have a payment, what do you have to show for it? What's the vehicle worth when it's paid for? How much money do you have to put into it for maintenance? Broken parts? Stranded on the side of the road?

If you total a lease, you walk away from it. You aren't upside down. That's why you negotiate away a from a big down payment.

Like I said, leasing has its positives and negatives. I wouldn't call it the biggest rip off out there tho...

mac 'in the end, it's what fits your budget, like chuck said' gyvr

I think Dave would be fine with modifying Jeeps as long as we’re not going into debt for it. :) You’re right though, if you’ve decided to always have a car payment and you don’t go over the mileage, I guess leasing may be a good option. If you can keep a vehicle for ten years, not so much. If you’re only driving 12k-15k miles/year that’s only 120k-150k miles. That shouldn’t be a problem for today’s vehicles. If you keep making that payment to your savings account the second five years you could pay cash for your next one. After that you could (theoretically) pay cash for one every five years. You’re still making a “payment”, but you’re paying yourself. As you said, to each his own.

I can see leasing as a try it before you keep it a long time. I knew going into getting my equinox it was not my next long term car. The thing was that I also knew it would be my wife’s when I get my Jeep. My wife’s car has been paid off for at least five years. It also has been driven very little. A 2009 Nissan Rogue with under 69,000 miles. Luckily the biggest repairs have been an axle shaft, wheel bearing, and door handles being broken from an attempted theft. It is on the too much more to repair it at once and thoughts about replacing it might happen list. It is a good awd car but is very basic. I think trade in is 4-5k right now and that is what we will trade in when time comes. Her getting my equinox is the only reason I didn’t buy a truck.

A reason I didn’t lease my equinox is because since July of 2017, I have put 25k miles on it. I just rolled over 36k right at the three year mark.

Dave has done a lot of good for the idiots out there that have no clue about how money works.

But there are multiple ways to skin the cat, you have to figure out what works best for you.

If you call and talk to Josh, he will honor the WF 15% off but you do have to pay shipping. My stuff showed up last week! :)

Talked to a guy named Patrick I believe. He hooked me up also. IRO is good to us.

[snip] If you can keep a vehicle for ten years, not so much.[snip]

NAXJA MWC members aren't exactly known for keeping vehicles a long time...

mac ':wave1:' gyvr

Rainy day today, did some work on the jeep since I couldn't work on the house. New RE add a leafs got the rear higher than the front rather than lower
3430876ef293fc0c169d199292546b8e.jpg
c505d037c7bd10b6b436d95e190e0112.jpg
6822d13febc17bca279362cb686c66eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking good John. No need for a garage door to seal out the cold weather.

I wish! High Monday is supposed to be 39, rest of the week low 40s

Freezing rain right now

Back