• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

gm guys...Is there a way to build a 4l60e to make it pretty bullet proof? Or is it just better to run a 4l80e? Dad's truck has the 60, but only has a 4.8. The 80s seem to weight a lot more. His seems okay for now, but he does a lot of boat towing with it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The 60 is a good transmission, I have had it in many 1/2 ton rigs that we pulled with a lot. My 2003 Tahoe was a prime example of that, it either had the jeep and trailer or the boat behind it nearly every weekend for a couple of years. We went everywhere with something in tow and when I traded it in with 175K+ on it, it never had a tranny problem at all. I also had a few 1/2 ton pickups before I went up to 3/4 and 1 ton rigs, again, the 60 never failed us. These were all 5.3 vehicles. I had the 80 in my 3/4 gasser with the 6.0 in it. It was a great truck, and my buddy Jeremy that bought it off of me is still running that truck and it has shy of 300K on it. Use the tow/haul feature, make sure you have a good tranny cooler and it will last for a long time. If you are pulling heavy loads like a skid steer or backhoe, then you should upgrade to a heavier truck regardless bc you are way exceeding what the 1/2 is rated and capable of.

Or I could post in an area that's actually active...

Last thread reply in that forum is March 4th. It's also the only "active" thread in there

Yes you can build them, but a Big cooler and healthy fluid goes a long ways, add a slight tune and even better. At the point of swapping in a 4l80e I would be thinking long and hard about a 3/4 ton truck that already has it plus tbe 6.0 or 8.1.

Last time I talked to my transmission guy it was 2500 to build up the 80 in my XL with good stuff. 60 should be similar'ish

The 4L60e can be built to be a beast. I've done a dozen or so now that have been mild to wild depending on what the owner wanted. People that say the 60 is weak just don't understand that if you modify the lube circuit you have to modify the hard-parts to match. There also about 3-4 different 'generations' when looking at the internal parts and making sure you match the proper parts, i.e. if you use a 'BEAST' sun-shell you need to use the proper bearings and thrust washers...

Rebuilt my rear driveshaft and WOW, 90% of vibrations are gone. Im sure when I throw on my JK street tires on this thing will be smooth as silk on the road(for a jeep).

Kinda bummed though, the bad vibrations made the girlfriend jiggle just right.

I had one guy tell me not to come in there and start changing shit because everything works great.....I did this exact business for 15 years, it is far from efficient or great.

Then my process engineer gets an attitude when ever I ask her to adjust something.

The guy I replaced catered to all of them and gave them all a false sense of importance.

I had one guy tell me not to come in there and start changing shit because everything works great.....I did this exact business for 15 years, it is far from efficient or great.

Then my process engineer gets an attitude when ever I ask her to adjust something.

The guy I replaced catered to all of them and gave them all a false sense of importance.

Yeah, I'm sure they're paying you the big bucks 'cause everything's been working great :rolleyes:

Don't know where this pool is that folks are talking about. facebook?
But I'm gonna go for Tuesday.

Going back a little to the thong talk...

And I'm glad to be driving my 20 year old XJ again after 5-1/2 weeks in a new 2 door wrangler.

Gimme Monday. If someone doesn't get it on Monday, Hobag is losing his edge.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I got Tuesday...Give them the weekend to think, still a privileged ahole on Monday...fire on Tuesday

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back