• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Fit, yes.
Flex, no.

(you can't truly flex 31s without trimming and hammering)
agreed.

unless you make it skyscraper tall (say, 6.5...) and bumpstop it to the moon, it's gonna rub if you go over a 31 and don't trim.

You can fit a 31 or a 32 in the back of an MJ with almost no trimming and a 33 with minor trimming, but the front is just the same.

I never actually trimmed my fender flares or anything else in the back, I just slapped my 33s on with a 4.5" SUA leaf and let them wear the flares away where they needed to.

Oh yeah. Saw a dark green 97+ XJ (stock) eyeballing my rig on the way into Chicago Sunday, and a white shortbed MJ with grey and purple swoosh decals on the sides drove down west logan blvd in Chicago on either Monday or Tuesday. Anyone on here?

Anybody here tow with a van? A guy can get a smoking deal in a 3/4 ton van.
303945c.jpg

Thursday at WinterFest!

01 dodge 2500, auto of course, 5.2L. It got about 10MPG and I am pretty sure I didn't do the transmission any favors, but if you keep your foot out of it on hills, gain every bit of speed you can on downhills, and generally go easy on it, it works fine.

I think Kim tows with a van also.

303945c.jpg

Thursday at WinterFest!

01 dodge 2500, auto of course, 5.2L. It got about 10MPG and I am pretty sure I didn't do the transmission any favors, but if you keep your foot out of it on hills, gain every bit of speed you can on downhills, and generally go easy on it, it works fine.

Sweet! I'm thinking bout it! Be nice to not dd the xj anymore. What'd ya give for the van?

Anybody here tow with a van? A guy can get a smoking deal in a 3/4 ton van.

I used to tow a car and trailer to Great Lakes Dragaway each week with a Dodge 1ton Extended Van with a little carbureted 318 in it. I regularly got 18mpg with it, loaded or unloaded.

Very Stable tow vehicles.

You're gonna kill me for this...

So far I have approx. 600 bucks into it, plus whatever I end up paying my parents.

My parents bought it in 2002. It spent till 2008 towing our family camping trailer, hauling us kids around, moving us back and forth to and from college, and being the college kid car (yes, I was that cool kid in college driving an 8 passenger van, it was a real hit with the ladies.) In around 2008 or 2009 the transmission melted down so they had it rebuilt, then shortly after that the front wheel bearings went to hell. My dad brought it to a local shop that turned out to be a bunch of shady idiots, they completely screwed up the job, and he parked it in frustration. They were planning on selling it anyways, since they bought a replacement vehicle that wasn't such an ugly gas pig when all us kids grew up and moved out.

Fast forward 3 years. Now my mom is really sick and tired of looking at the stupid thing in the driveway, and my dad wants nothing to do with fixing it, but doesn't want to shell out a ridiculous amount of money to have it done, either. Mom decides to donate it to something or other for a 500 dollar tax credit (i.e. 125 bucks or so) and mentions it to me on facebook in passing. I thought it had a 5.9L motor, which I wanted for my street MJ project, so I told her to not get rid of it and that I'd pay at least what they were going to, and either tow it or fix it and drive it away.

I ended up putting about 600 bucks in parts (300 of which I haven't even installed yet, new brake rotors and pads, it makes some mild noise at road speed, hoping it will wear off in another few thousand miles) on it - new wheel bearings on both front wheels, a new alternator, a new battery, a new idler pulley, new wipers, some signals and bulbs and junk, etc.

They went from trying to convince me to not take it to trying to get me to keep it. On the way home from fixing it (I drove it home, since it was more comfortable than the shitbasket 98 XJ I drove up there with my tools and parts in it) the Sunday before WF, I started thinking... that's always a mistake in my case... and went AHA! This thing is a 3/4 ton, I bet I can tow my jeep to WF with it! :gee:

Ended up buying my tow dolly off a friend for $350 (would have cost me $500+ just to rent a uhaul one for that long), registering everything Thursday, then threw all my tools in the back and drove to WF. Towing a jeep a thousand miles with a vehicle that hadn't actually run in 3 years probably wasn't the wisest decision I've ever made, but it actually worked out pretty well, surprisingly.

I have it listed on CL for 3k OBRO, if it sells, I'll subtract the price of the parts I have into it, then give my parents *at least* half of what's left. They are trying to get me to just take it, but I don't really feel right about that, especially since I offered multiple times over the last few years to help fix it and never got around to it.

I will, until someone offers me the right amount. LOL

I have no real attachment to it, and probably never will, so as soon as someone hands me the right number of dollars, I sign it over. Until then, I'll tow my jeep with it whenever the need arises.

If by some stroke of luck it makes it till 2015 without being sold, I'll take it off my insurance and stop driving it, since by then my 5-ton will be registrable as an antique without even getting the title corrected and I'll have no excuse to not use IT as my tow rig, which is what I bought the stupid thing for in the first place.

If it had a 5.9 (diesel or gasser, don't think the vans ever came with diesels but it'd be pretty badass) instead of a 5.2, it'd tow like a dream. Oh, and maybe a slightly lower center of gravity. It sure does get the job done though.

is_00217.jpg

1994 Dodge 3500 extended. 360 gas, auto. Got 10mpg towing?

I used it for a while til I bought my Megacab. It got the job done.

Seeing yours made me think back to the good times with mine.

mac 'vangina' gyvr

It's just a small stain on the futon :dunno:

I had completely forgotten about the "TURN IT TO GRAVEL"

I think I could roll a 3/4 Chevy Express van. I just don't know about DDing one.

Big 'van fan' Hank

SaWEET!! I'd rep that thing. I'm still wanting an amberlamps for a tow rig. I don't think I can really be sold on too much else other than Big'nuf since it's a fricken rolling house...

Kman...John (Lesslimited) also tows with a van.

Back